Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 13 January – 24 January 1902

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 13 January – 24 January 1902

By: Ardis E. Parshall - January 06, 2013

(Previous installment)

Monday, January 13, 1902

We arose at 8:10 a.m. after having a good night’s rest. Before leaving, we sang them a song or two, also wrote “O Ye Mountains High” and “In Our Lovely Deseret” for them, as they thought they were very pretty. As we bid them goodby, they extended us an invitation to call again. We walked into King to get our literature. On the way we sat down in the bush and wrote letters to the office. At the store we bought 10c of apples for our dinner and a box of blacking for 10c. Had a short talk with the postmaster, but as he was inclined to vilify, we soon left him, not wishing to cast pearls before swine. We came out on the prairie, and south. The houses were very scattered. Arrived at the second one about sunset. Met the gentleman, Bro. W.J. Basham, at the gate. After telling him who we were, he invited us in to stay over night, which was gladly accepted. After supper we talked for a while on the gospel, but found it very hard as the family was not very religious. We sang them two or three songs and, at 9 p.m., we went upstairs and retired to rest.

Tuesday, January 14, 1902

During the night it began raining and continued until nearly morning, when it stopped, but was very cloudy when we arose. After breakfast through the kindness of the family, we warmed a kettle of water and went upstairs and bathed our bodies and changed clothes. This through, we bid the folks goodby and set out for another day’s work. The weather was quite cold and roads quite muddy, so we were compelled to keep walking. While visiting the families of course once in a while we were invited in and talked for a short while. 12 o’clock came and no one asked us to have dinner, so as we were tired and faint, we decided to ask the first house. Widow Edmiston, with two grown sons. They were just eating. When we knocked, one of the sons came to the door. We told him our business and made known our wants. He said he would see his mother. She then came to the door with a frown on her face. I told her that we were ministers representing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. “Mormons?” “Yes, ma’am,” says I. “Well, we don’t want any of your old doctrine around here.” We told her all right and then I asked her for some dinner as we had been walking all morning and were tired and hungry. She says, “Yes, I can give you some dinner but I don’t want any of your doctrine preached in my house.” After partaking of a good meal we journeyed on. Stopped a while and wrote up our journals. It being a bad day, we met most of the men at home. Sold five books. Began asking for entertainment before night. Were refused twice. Were taken in by Bro. J.M. Calhoun, a Methodist.

Before supper we wound him up on Baptism and the Holy Ghost. After supper he brought up the subject again. We then downed him on Authority and other Principles. After he became convinced that he could do nothing with us, he says, “Now, my boys, I want to give you a little advice. You want to be very careful, my boys, how you are teaching the people.” At 9 p.m. we retired to rest in a fine bed. Wrapped up in the feathers and were soon in the Land of Nod.

Wednesday, January 15, 1902

I arose feeling splendid. Ate a hearty breakfast. It was so foggy that we couldn’t see but a short distance so we were in no hurry about leaving. At 9 a.m. we thanked the kind family and were on our way. The fog never began to raise until about 12 p.m. We had been walking all morning and felt the need of a dinner, but everything gloomy in that respect, as the families were a long ways apart and we could find no men at home. At 1 p.m. we came to Bro. M.F. Patterson. He was just eating himself. We were invited in and soon sat down to a nice dinner, which was very much appreciated, by us. The brother was in a hurry to start to town, so we did not tarry long after our meal but came down the creek about one mile and went up on the hill, where we sat down for about two hours. I sewed my coat lining and read a while. Continuing, we visited several more families and were given entertainment by Bro. Franks, a very kind-hearted man. After supper we talked with them until 9 p.m. on the condition of affairs in Utah, preaching the gospel for money, baptism, etc. Showed the folks several things that they did not know were in their Bible. Before retiring we held prayers. I was mouth. Were given a good bed. Rested fine.

Thursday, January 16, 1902

It was late when we arose. While we were waiting for breakfast, I wrote up my journal. After a hearty meal and a short talk, we took our departure. Received a welcome to return whenever in the country. Came down the creek to Pidcoke post office, where I received four letters, two from home, one from Crayton Johnson, and one from John Perkins. We then saw the trustees to preach in the school house. Met one of them in the store. Came out southeast two miles and met the other one. Everything was agreeable with them.

At noon we called at Bro. J.L. Barr, a man who had met our elders in Leon County. As his house was the last one for some distance, I asked for some dinner, which was given us with pleasure, and we were made perfectly welcome. This over, we came back to the post office and called at the school house and had the teacher announce our meeting through the school. We then visited a few more families and came back to the school house where we waited until the crowd came. Did not have any supper. At 8 p.m. we commenced our meeting with about 40 present. I presided. I asked Elder Craner to talk. It was very hard for us to sing and talk, as it seemed like there was an opposing spirit in our midst. Elder Craner spoke nearly an hour on the First Principles and the Holy Ghost. Appointed another meeting for the following night. After closing, we were invited home by Bro. J.W. Cooper. Walked one and a half miles and were given a good bed. Were quite tired so we rested very good.

Friday, January 17, 1902

It was 8 a.m. before we arose. Rested fine during the night. At 9 a.m. we started out on the duties of another day. Took across the pastures nearly three miles to the Cowhouse Creek where we began work in our usual manner, visiting the families. The houses were very scattered and, of course, took considerable of walking to get to them all. At noon we met Bro. E.S. Petrie in the field plowing. While we were talking with him the dinner bell rang, so he asked us to stop and take dinner with him, which we did. This over, we continued on up the creek. Sold one book. Met one lady who was very prejudiced. Said that she did not want any of our foolishness around her. Not wishing to argue with her, we went on our way. Finished all of the families and returned to Bro. Cooper’s for supper, as he had extended us an invitation. Arrived at his place at 4:30 p.m.

After a hearty meal we returned to the school house to fill our appointment. There were two parties in the community, but we had about 25 out to hear us. We commenced at 15 minutes to 8. Elder Crane presiding. He asked me to talk. The same opposing spirit that was against us the night before was present again. I spoke for 55 minutes upon Authority, but it seemed like I could not branch out. After closing, Satan arose in the form of a Campbellite man and wanted to show us wherein we were wrong. Made several assertions that he could not prove. We did not answer him as enough had been said. Went home with Bro. Rogers. Slept on a pallet on the floor. Rested fine. Coughed some during the night. Made a note in my journal that on Dec. 18, 1901, I was credited at the office in Kansas City, Missouri with $10.00 from my Father on my Book of Mormon account.

Saturday, January 18, 1902

It was 8 a.m. when we arose. I coughed considerable during the night. After breakfast, we shaved each other, and at 9 a.m. we thanked the kind family and went on our way rejoicing. Came across the hills from Cowhouse Creek to Beehouse Creek. While on the way we stopped a while. Elder Craner patched his pants. Coming on down the creek, we began our labor. Were given a nice dinner by Bro. T.B. Lovejoy, Jr. Had a short conversation and continued on our way. Crossed the creek. Washed a pair of socks and three handkerchiefs. Came up the creek three miles to F.P. Larrin’s where we were made welcome and had an enjoyable time until bedtime.

Sunday, January 19, 1902

We arose quite late, feeling well. At 9 a.m. we were making preparations to leave when the kind family of Bro. Larrins asked us to remain over the day with them, it being the Sabbath. They were very glad to have us around and appeared to be interested in our teachings. Sister Larrins suggested that he hitch on to the buggy and drive to the school house (Beehouse Chapel) and see the trustees and perhaps we could preach at night. Bro. Blalock, a Methodist preacher, was going to hold at 11 a.m. At the appointed time, he commenced and tried to explain away water baptism. Made it appear, or tried to, that it meant a spiritual baptism. He tried to make his remarks very impressive by crying, but it seemed like he did not feel bad enough as he made a poor out at it. After he closed, we stepped up and met the trustees, Bros. Martin and Cornforth, and they again consented for us to preach. So the crowd was called to order and we announced that the Mormons would hold at night. During our visit among the people about a week before, we made several friends, as was manifest to us after the close of the meeting. We received eight invitations home for dinner. Bro. Larrins being the further, we separated. I went to see one of the trustees and Elder Craner the other one. But we found them to be very unreasonable and would not allow us to preach. After we met again, we visited a few more families and then asked Bro. J.W. Smith for entertainment, which was granted us. After supper we talked on the gospel until 9 p.m. and retired after holding prayer. I was mouth. Good bed.

Wednesday, January 22, 1902

The wind had changed to the south but was still quite cold. We began our labor for another day. Came into the Hillsdale community. Did not think for a while that we would try to preach, but after considering everything, we decided to make an effort. Called on Mr. Myers, he being one of the trustees. It was agreeable with him. Ate dinner with Mr. S. Guthrie, a Primitive Baptist. Had a short talk with him. He said when he was converted, he had given up everything and was lying with his face to the ground with a very heavy heart when all at once the spirit of the Lord took hold of him and he felt so light that he could hardly walk. This through, we took our leave. Came to Higgins Gapp. Met Parson Jones, a Methodist. Got his consent and then came back to the school house and had the teacher announce our meeting through the school for tomorrow night. We were beginning to feel fatigued so we sat down and wrote up our journals for a while, but it was too cold to stop long, so we visited several more families and were given entertainment by Bro. W.F. Chambers, a Primitive Baptist. His wife prepared us some supper. We talked until 9 p.m. and retired. There was not much reason to the old fellow and he wanted to do all of the talking.

Thursday, January 23, 1902

When we arose, it was awful cloudy and looked very much like rain. Before leaving the brother, we tried to straighten him out on a few points of doctrine, but his mind was so dark that we could do nothing with him. Bidding them all goodbye, we began our work for another day. There was a light mist fell all morning but we continued our work just the same. Noon came and we were in doubts as to whether we were going to get any dinner as we could find no men at home. At 12 noon we came to A.P. Will’s, where I asked him for something to eat and it was kindly given us. This through, we went on a ways further and sat down in the woods for a couple of hours and then journeyed on to the school house to fill our appointment. While waiting, I wrote a letter to J.F. Perkins. At 8 p.m. we commenced our meeting with a nice congregation, mostly young people. Elder Craner presided. He spoke for a few minutes and then asked me to occupy the time. I spoke for 55 minutes upon the First Principles of the Gospel, dwelling principally upon the Holy Ghost. The people gave good attention. We appointed another meeting for the next night. A young man by the name of Burns asked us home. After a ride in the buggy for about 2 miles, we arrived at their place. Warmed good and retired to rest. Were given a good bed. Rested fine.

Friday, January 24, 1902

We arose after having a good night’s rest. As we had nothing to do through the day, I asked Bro. Burns if we could remain with them and wash our clothes, which request was granted. The kind sister proffered to do our washing for us but, as she was busy, we did it ourselves. After getting through with this job, we took a shave. At 2 p.m. we sat down to a fine dinner prepared especially for the two Mormon preachers. During the afternoon we went with the brother to work. I chopped down some trees while he and Elder Crane were rolling down rocks to fix a grade. Coming to the house, we ate supper, after which we rode to the school house in the buggy with the folks. At 10 minutes to 8, we commenced our meeting. I presided and spoke for a few moments and then asked Elder Craner to occupy the time. He spoke for 1 hour and 7 minutes on the Organization, Apostasy, and Restoration. We then closed and were invited home with Bro. Healer. After a walk of two miles we arrived at his place. Talked for a while and retired to rest. Slept fine. Good bed.

(To be continued)



  1. As always, a fascinating diary. They sure did have a range of accommodations, from the much-appreciated feather bed to a pallet on the floor.

    Comment by Amy T — January 6, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

  2. In the last entry, “He spoke for 1 hour and 7 minutes…” strikes me as oddly precise.

    Comment by Edje Jeter — January 6, 2013 @ 7:30 pm

  3. I guess if you don’t have a mirror, it makes sense to shave each other I hadn’t thought of that.

    Comment by Carol — January 7, 2013 @ 8:24 am

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI