Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Wilford Woodruff

Wilford Woodruff

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 31, 2012

From the Children’s Friend, 1945 —

1. These are my favorite! If I can get a copy center to enlarge the one of President Lorenzo Snow, may I have your permission to use it in a class next week?

Comment by Bessie — December 31, 2012 @ 9:58 am

2. Bessie, I sure don’t own ‘em — they were published in the Children’s Friend, and there are some evident problems with copyright that I believe puts them in the public domain anyway. Use it, and if you remember, comment again with any interesting response you get from your class.

I’ll send you my direct scan of the Lorenzo Snow one. It might be a little better quality than you can lift off the blog.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 31, 2012 @ 10:25 am

3. As with all these beautiful prophet pages, it’s sure interesting to see what they put in and what they left out.

Comment by Amy T — December 31, 2012 @ 11:15 am

4. Do you see anything significant that was left out of this one, Amy? {said in my most innocent voice}

What they do include, though {in my most sincere voice}, are details that could easily have sparked story-telling by or for the children who were their audience. I like ‘em, too.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 31, 2012 @ 11:49 am

5. What is the significant fact that was left out? Why, you must be thinking about how Wilford Woodruff was one of the first to bring fly fishing to the American West.

{said in my most sarcastic voice} Is that what you were thinking of, Amy T?

Comment by David Y. — December 31, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

6. Oh yeah, fly fishing. That must be what I was thinking of. : ) And all that time Wilford Woodruff spent fishing with his buddy ol-what’s-his-name who told an original fish story about Wilford Woodruff’s vision in the St. George Temple that has been accepted as fact although unsupported by the rest of the historical record. (Yes, I can turn just about every discussion on 19th century Mormonism back to this topic…)

Comment by Amy T — December 31, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

7. Ha! And here I was thinking that you were thinking of the Manifesto!

Comment by David Y. — December 31, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

8. I was thinking of the manifesto too. Sorry I don’t have enough Utah history to get the hint Amy. More details? Or a link?

Comment by Julia — January 2, 2013 @ 9:41 am

9. That’s funny, David!

Julia, I’ve been working on a project documenting the lives of many of the early female temple workers in St. George, Utah.

Years ago, I read the book The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff. It tells the story of Wilford Woodruff’s vision in the St. George Temple in 1877.

From the research I’ve done since, I learned that Wilford Woodruff said that the Founding Fathers had appeared to him and requested that he do their temple work, so he and the people of St. George started the work right away. They also did the work for some of George Washington’s family and for about 50 eminent men of the world Wilford Woodruff selected from a book of biographies he was reading.

As far as I can tell, Lucy Bigelow Young probably asked that the temple work be done for the associated women, and she selected about 70 women to have their work done, mostly from the same source.

The book The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff has a tantalizing little list tucked into its back cover of the women whose temple work was done. A few years ago someone was kind enough to send me a more official list of the women and it also happened to name the St. George women who did the temple work.

It took me a couple of years to realize, thanks to a woman named Sarah Arterbury Church, that the most interesting story was about the St. George women who did the temple work, rather than the various literary and political women Lucy selected, so I’ve been researching and telling the stories of these early Saints. It’s been a fascinating project and I keep getting off on tangents, some of them major, like the history of the black slaves in Utah, Mitt Romney’s polygamous heritage, and the history of Cyrus H. Wheelock and his family.

I’ve had to take a break from the project for several months — I kind of crashed and burned when I ran into a story involving a woman who fled St. George in fear of her life — but I’m about ready to start again. All of the posts should be listed in the Topical Guide, but here’s an index I’ve been keeping as well. (Eminent Women Biographies.)

And that is why, plus its popularity in recent decades in Mormon artwork and legend, I look at this picture and wonder why the 1877 vision is not depicted. : )

Comment by Amy T — January 2, 2013 @ 11:06 am

10. Thanks Amy. I’m immersed in pain today, so I will come back when my brain can process more. It sounds like a wonderful project. :-)

Comment by Julia — January 2, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

11. My favorite WW stories are those that involve his (astonishingly frequent) brushes with death.

Comment by The Other Clark — January 3, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

12. I used my new 11×17 cardstock version of the Lorenzo Snow Children’s Friend poster in Relief Society Sunday. Thank you, I found it a good addition and a great item to pass-around as we began our year’s study—it definitely helped generate interest and recall stories of President Snow. At the close of class one of the sisters brought it back to me wondering where she might get a copy.
    I lay it on the bench next to me during Sacrament Meeting. Part way through the meeting, my husband noticed it, leaned over and asked, “Did you do that?” Sure!

Comment by Bessie — January 8, 2013 @ 9:59 pm

13. I prefer the old one to this new one published in the recent Liahona:

Comment by Niklas — April 5, 2013 @ 7:22 am

14. Me, too. I hadn’t seen the recent one — thanks, Niklas.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 5, 2013 @ 7:45 am