Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 5 January – 12 January 1902

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 5 January – 12 January 1902

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 30, 2012

(Previous installment)

Sunday, January 5, 1902

The weather clear but quite cold. Arose from our bed at 8 a.m. It being general fast day, we did not eat. At 10 a.m. we thanked the kind family and came to King to fill our appointment at 11 a.m. The Baptists held their Sunday School at 10 a.m. so we listened to them. Some of them were very prejudiced and were determined that we should not preach, so to hinder us, they carried on an extra session. A prayer meeting never closed until nearly 1 p.m., when about an hour was their usual time. After closing we walked a few rods from the church to the school house. They both belonged to the Baptists. Most of the crowd followed us. In a few moments, Bro. Harrington, a church man, came in, and in a loud rough manner, he said, “By the authority of the Baptist Church, I forbid you preaching here.” We thanked him and said we were acting upon the authority of the trustees. He then began abusing the Prophet Joseph Smith, saying that he was a thief, a murderer, and was killed while in a game of cards. We asked him to prove his assertions and tried to reason with him and show him wherein he was mistaken, but there was no reason to him. We then walked outside.

He further said that our people were the leaders of the Mountain Meadow Massacre and asked why it was that Johnson’s Army had to be sent to Utah. Elder Craner then spoke and said, “because of false stories being told by just such men as you are.” He then got very angry and said, “If you say that again, I will mash your mouth for you.” This stopped the man. Another old man or two stepped in. They then started off on us. And Bro. Sanders stepped in and took our part and said, “Gentlemen, if they won’t let you preach in the church, the public road is out here. Come on. We will listen to you.” But as there was a general uproar, we thought it best to let them alone, considering that we had already done our duty unto them.

A crowd of 10 or 15 men then gathered around us. Some of them said it was all they could do to keep from hitting those old jakes and they said that if we had put anything in the house, they would go and take it right out. Before leaving, Bro. Sanders bought a Doc. & Covenants and Voice of Warning and said “We want to get some of this literature in the country.” As we bid them goodby, they all grasped our hands as though we were their brothers. We then walked out about one mile in the bush where we wrote letters to our folks and also to the office. Came back to the post office and posted them. I bought me 5c of cloth to fix my coat lining. We then came out three miles to Bro. Neutzler, a German, one of our friends where we were permitted to tarry over night. By this time we were beginning to get faint as we had fasted 24 hours. At his place we partook of a nice supper. Talked until 9 p.m. Retired after holding prayer. I was mouth. Good bed. Had for cover a feather bed, which was nice and comfortable. While at the school house, old Bro. Harrington said that he would rather see two horse thieves coming to his house than us. Also called us several other bad names.

Monday, January 6, 1902

We arose at 7:30 feeling well. Ate a hearty breakfast, good light bread, after which I borrowed a few tacks and drove in my shoe soles. At 9 a.m. we took our departure, beginning the work of another day. We took a long walk around the edge of the community and soon found us at Bro. William Vass’ house where we were given a nice dinner. He was also a trustee and he gave us his consent to preach in one of the school houses that was in the community, as there was two of them and they were about 3 miles apart. Somehow Bro. Vass was quite anxious for us to preach in the lower one or the new school house as it was called. He said that he was going down there in a wagon and we could ride down and see the other trustee. After seeing him, we decided to preach in both houses a night or two. So we came back to Bro. Vass and told him our desires and found out why he was so anxious to get us off down in the lower part of the community. He said before he could consent for us to preach in the school house near him, he would have to consult some of his neighbors.

We then left him and came over to the new building and had the teacher norate our meeting through the school. It was getting late . We called on Bro. J.E. Clydow for entertainment. I told him that we were Ministers. He says, “I don’t believe it. You are those Mormons.” I then told him that we received no salaries and he said, “You hadn’t ought to, to preach such a doctrine as you do.” I told him what we wanted and he said we could stay but he was very prejudiced. I told him if we could talk in a friendly manner we would tell him what we believe. “Yes,” he said, “you are like those Adventists. You will talk for a long time without getting mad and then call a man a liar.” He would hardly listen to us at first but we gave him to understand that the stories that he had heard were false. We talked until 9 p.m., when we were given a good bed and retired to rest.

Tuesday, January 7, 1902

I arose feeling very well. Before leaving, we were granted the privilege of shaving. At 9 a.m. we bid them goodby and began the work of another day. Stopped in a pasture where we held prayers. Continuing, we visited several families. At noon we called on brother G.B. Padgett, who kindly gave us a nice dinner. After spending an hour or two with him, we came down through the fields to a low place and there we spent the afternoon. Elder Craner patched his pants while I patched the lining in my coat. Leaving there, we came up to Bro. J.M. Collins, where we asked for supper and were given a nice meal. We then came to the school house to fill our appointment.

There were about 45 men came out to hear us but only 3 women. At 7:30 we commenced. I presided. After singing and prayer, I made a few opening remarks and then introduced Elder Craner as the speaker of the evening. He spoke for 45 minutes upon the Fall of man, the Atonement of Christ, and Obedience to his gospel. As everything was quite favorable, we appointed another meeting for the following night. After closing several of the men came forward and asked questions which were answered to their satisfaction. Sold one Voice of Warning tract. Were invited home by Bro. L.D. Campbell, a Christian preacher. On arriving at his home his family had all retired. We were given our room and retired to rest after a hard day’s work. Good bed.

Wednesday, January 8, 1902

At 7 a.m. we arose feeling well. Before leaving the place we had a short conversation upon different Bible subjects and we found the old man possessed many queer ideas. His wife was somewhat prejudiced and did not want us to talk. Leaving his place, we went west visiting the families. Stopped in the woods for a while where we wrote our journals and had prayers. Noon came almost before we knew it so we had to hustle out to find a suitable place for dinner. Came to Bro. J.C. Bryan just as he had quit work. He invited us to remain until after dinner, which we gladly did. The lady did not know who we were until after we had eaten, and after she found out that we were Mormons, she became disgusted and left the room. Continuing, we visited three more families, when a wagon came along going back toward the school house, and as it was about 4 miles, we accepted a ride with the man.

At 3:30 p.m. we called on one of our friends by the name of H.C. Hemiline, who had asked us to come and stay with him over night while preaching in the neighborhood. We met him plowing in the field and after talking for a while, he said that he was a little too hasty in asking us to come and stay over night with him, as he said that his wife was not in the best of health. “She is a little puny, liable to come down any time. You know how it is. She is like lots of these Texas women get, especially in dry weather. But you can go on down to the house and eat supper with me anyway.” Before going to meeting, we walked to the house where we rested until supper time. Ate a hearty supper and then went to the school house to fill our appointment. Met there a nice congregation again. Commenced at 7:40. Elder Craner presided. After singing and prayer he made a few opening remarks and then introduced me to the audience. I spoke for 55 minutes upon the principles of Baptism, and the Holy Ghost. The people gave good attention. After I sat down, Elder Craner talked 25 minutes on Authority. We then closed, having good feelings of most of the people. Some of the men asked a few questions which were answered to their surprise. We were taken home by Bro. Fred Blohm, arriving at his house at 10:10 p.m. Talked for a while and then were shown our room and retired to rest, feeling quite tired. We laid and talked for a while and then went into the land of Nod.

Thursday, January 9, 1902

It was quite late when we arose. After breakfast we sat and talked for a while, or until 9:30 a.m., and then took our departure for King. Arriving at the place, we received our papers. Bought 5c of apples and then came on west. As it had been some time since we had seen a paper, we stopped in the woods on the hillside where we read for about 3 hours. Continuing, we began visiting the families. Did not have any dinner. Nearly night we came to the Slayter post office and, as we were desirous of preaching to the people, we proceeded at once to see the trustees. Called on Mr. Martin first. He did not know what to think about it. He was afraid to give his consent for fear that some of the people would get mad at him for allowing us to come in. He finally said if it was agreeable with the other two, it was with him. Sold him a book. Night came on. We stayed over night with D.C. Olney. Nice supper. Conversed until 9 p.m. Retired. Quite tired.

Friday, January 10, 1902

When we arose, it was very foggy. We sat and talked until the men were ready to go to work and then we had to go. It being so foggy we could not see but a short distance, we sat down and studied until the fog had lifted. Continuing, we began visiting the families. They were a long ways apart so it took considerable of walking to get to them all. At noon we called on Bro. A.B. Cornforth. They were eating dinner. At first he did not invite us in but after telling him who we were, I asked him for some dinner which was kindly given us. We also had a short talk on the gospel. He being one of the trustees, we asked him for his consent to preach in the school house, which was granted us. He also assured us that he would be out and hear what we had to say. At 1 p.m. we thanked them kindly for the nice dinner and came on down the Beehouse Creek. Visited two more families and then came to a nice pond of water. We stopped and washed a pair of socks, also bathed our feet. We then walked on past the school house and toward Mr. Basham’s. Night came on before reaching his place, so we were given entertainment by Bro. R.G. Hampton. Were treated excellent. Nice supper. Talked on different subjects – the persecution of our people, their loyalty to the government, and also gave them some of our experiences since arriving in the state. Retired to rest upstairs at 9:15 p.m. Good bed. Rested fine.

Saturday, January 11, 1902

We arose quite late after enjoying a good night’s rest. After breakfast we talked with the family until 9 a.m. when we thanked them and took our departure. First walked down to Mr. Basham’s, another of the trustees, and were given his consent to preach in the school house. We now, after considerable walking, had the consent of all three. So we began norating a meeting for Sunday at 11 a.m. After visiting all of the families on the prairie, we went down onto the Beehouse Creek. The first house, Bro. C.D. Truesdale, bought a book. Had a nice conversation and were given a nice dinner. After enjoying an hour’s visit with them, we continued on down the creek. Came to a secluded place in the woods where we spent most of the afternoon reading, writing, also shaved. It began to get late so we started out to find a place to tarry and were successful at the home of Bro. M.W. Williamson. Partook of a good supper, after which we all got into the wagon and drove two miles to the school house and listened for about three hours to two candidates, Prof. Daniels and Lawyer Thorp, running for County representatives on the democratic ticket. Most of their talk consisted of defaming each other’s character. It was disgusting the way they carried on. Worse than two boys. After closing, we drove back home, arriving there safe. Retired at 12 p.m., feeling quite tired.

Sunday, January 12, 1902

We arose at 8 a.m. feeling well. Ate a hearty breakfast and in a short time we took our departure for the school house. Stopped in the woods where we held prayers and blacked our shoes, arriving at the school house at 10 a.m. we then went up to the post office and received our mail. One letter from home. The folks all well. One from Pres. Duffin asking me to prepare means for my homeward trip, also word from Elder Anderson at Italy certifying that Pres. A.B. Randall had been called home on account of the death of his six-year-old daughter. It was a great shock to him and the rest of us. We were sorry to see him leave because he was a faithful elder and a loving companion.

At 11 a.m., the Methodist Church assembled in the capacity of a Sunday School. They asked us to take part with them. After closing we proceeded to fill our appointment. At 12 p.m. The congregation numbered about 70 persons. It was called to order by myself. After singing and prayer, I spoke for a few moments. Told the people what we were in their midst for. I then introduced Elder Craner to the audience. He spoke for 50 minutes upon the Holy Ghost. We appointed another meeting for night. After closing, we received 4 invitations home for dinner. Bro. R.E. Carpenter being the first one, we accepted his. Had a nice meal. Talked for a while, then wrote letters to our folks at home.

After supper we came back to the school house and met another large crowd of about 75 people. Elder Craner presided and spoke first for a short time, when I was introduced. I talked for one hour upon the Organization, Apostasy, and Restoration of the gospel. At the close, several of our friends came forward and bid us goodby and expressed their desires as being glad that they had met us and wished us good success. Among the number were two of Bro. Hampton’s daughters. We went home with Bro. W.J. Haines, where we were given a nice bed and were soon asleep, rejoicing over the good day’s work.

(To be continued)


No Comments »

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI