Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Missionary Fare on the High Seas, 1913

Missionary Fare on the High Seas, 1913

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 27, 2012

Apostle Rudger Clawson returned from a Church assignment in England in April 1913, aboard the R.M.S. Virginian. Whimsically, he used the backs of two of the ship’s menus as notepaper for sending his farewells to friends in Europe. This is a year following the Channel crossing which he so colorfully described in an earlier post. Nothing written on the backs of these menus hints at whether or not the fishes on the 1913 crossing were as well fed as their cousins of 1912, but if they were, this is what they ate:

1. I have no idea what Petite Marmite might be, although I suspect that it isn’t this.

Comment by Mark B. — December 27, 2012 @ 7:11 am

2. Uh, no! :) (It’s soup. In a little pot kinda shaped like your disgusting-sounding product.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 27, 2012 @ 7:22 am

3. I understand there is a whole branch of historical research around collecting and evaluating period menus, figuring out the ingredients used and indexing the prices charged.

Comment by Bruce Crow — December 27, 2012 @ 10:35 am

4. Bruce, your comment was the 28,000th to be posted at Keepa. Imagine bells and flashing lights and confetti.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 27, 2012 @ 11:20 am

5. Me?! and I didn’t prepare a speech of anything.

Comment by Bruce Crow — December 27, 2012 @ 11:40 am

6. Probably half of my letters home from my mission were on menus, napkins, bus tickets, church programs, train schedules, area maps, etc. I was thinking of that this week when my missionary son sent his weekly email. Something is lost.

Comment by Carol — December 27, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

7. No one expects the 28,000th comment …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 27, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

8. But I was going for the 28,002nd comment, and I just missed it. Dang!!

Comment by Carol — December 27, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

9. I’m hungry and looking forward to going on a cruise next month. In the meantime I’ll go raid my refrigerator.

Comment by HokieKate — December 27, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

10. Missed your shot at glory, Carol!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 27, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

11. Ardis, re #7, is Bruce condemned to the Comfy Chair?

I also think that liver wrapped in bacon might be the only way I would touch liver ever again. Lots of bacon, please.

Comment by kevinf — December 27, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

12. There is not enough bacon in this county to make liver edible, kevinf.
    The above menu sounds good, though!and I like the idea of missioanries writing home on items that make memories…beats the “all’s well, grateful for a high pain thresh hold, love ya!” emails my son sent to his worried mother. hokiekate, you will love your cruise; we’ve been on 21, because my husband is a Finder Of Amazing Deals. Can I ask your where-to? Ardis, thanks much for keeping keepa going—I look forward to it!

Comment by deb — December 27, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

13. Fascinating. I kept this post for after my migraine broke. Menus and nausea do not mix well. ;-)

Comment by Julia — December 28, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

14. Oh, and congrats to both Bruce and Ardis!

Comment by Julia — December 28, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

15. Deb- Bahamas on Carnival. This will be my third cruise but my toddler’s first!

Comment by HokieKate — December 28, 2012 @ 7:13 pm