Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Don’t have enough ways to use sugar? We’ll give you another recipe!

Don’t have enough ways to use sugar? We’ll give you another recipe!

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 10, 2012

From the Relief Society Magazine, December 1970 —

1. I’ll have to try that!

Wasn’t that the last issue of the Relief Society Magazine?

Comment by Coffinberry — December 10, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

2. Yup. Good catch, Coffinberry — last page (back cover) of the last issue of the Magazine, devoted to sugar, just for us.

Tell us how the bread turns out, okay?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 10, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

3. I wonder who Cynthia Scott is. There’s a recipe pamphlet out there with her name on it, so she was apparently the U & I home economist… perhaps an imaginary person, like Betty Crocker? Here’s a recipe with a drawing of Ms. Scott; notice the barcode, so it’s more recent than the above ad. But this newspaper clipping from 1965 suggests she’s a real person (or at least a stage name) who would come do cooking demonstrations for ladies’ groups.

Ah, ya’ gotta love real-time research… here’s a photo of the actual lady, published March 11, 1970 in Ellensburg, Washington with a mini-biography:

Cynthia Scott is Director of Home Economics for the U and I Sugar Company, which also makes her “Official Hostess of Sugarplum Land.”

. . . And she’s a natural. Cynthia Scott is a native of Walla Walla, born and raised in the heart of sugar beet country. She is a graduate in Home Economics from the University of Idaho. A resident of Seattle.
    You’ll also find her listed in “Who’s Who in American Women!”
    But first, last and always . . . Cynthia Scott is a “kitchen magician.” In U and I test kitchens, she creates — and brings to life — a world of fun and fantasy filled with ice cream mountains, soda pop fountains, and houses of gingerbread.

It would seem, then, that she was somebody that the readers of the Relief Society Magazine would have been quite familiar with.

I wonder if she is still living.

Comment by Coffinberry — December 10, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

4. Way to add value to a minor post, Coffinberry! It never occurred to me to look for her — I did assume she was an advertising character rather than a real person. Fun to watch you discover more and more as your comment progressed, too.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 10, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

5. Having an ex-husband whose family has deep Walla Walla roots, I haven’t ever seen or heard anything about sugar beets. I know there are a few farms that grow them, but Walla Walla is an onion and wheat town. Lol

Thanks for the extra info Coffinberry!

Anyway, *please* don’t make this recipe for me. Ever since I learned how maraschino cherries are made, I don’t think I will ever eat one again. Shiver.

Comment by Julia — December 11, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

6. Eliza R. Snow would not have approved of maraschino cherries, I suspect. I’ll post something soon that makes me think she’d disapprove. It’s weird.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 11, 2012 @ 9:00 pm

7. I won’t go into the details, but if she had seen the chemicals used to create them, I can see why. She was big on “solid food” and simple, healthy living, right?

Comment by Julia — December 11, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

8. That’s a charitable assessment. Me, I’ll stick with the “weird” and a belief that her personal philosophy was something like “all pleasures in life should be kept from children and reserved for adults.” :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 11, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

9. Bwahahah… loaves (I used two small pans instead of one big one) are in the oven as we speak. And I like maraschino cherries (I figure the process of making them probably isn’t all that different from making cinnamon cucumber pickles… a lot of sit-out-for-a-long-time in supersaturated sugar solution, and I like those, too.)

See Facebook, Ardis, for the pictures.

I did use cane sugar (which seems like a betrayal, since the town where I live is well known for beet sugar, and farmers all around still grow sugar beets).

I remember watching this on Sesame Street with my kids when they were little.

Comment by Coffinberry — December 12, 2012 @ 6:08 pm