Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Merry Christmas, Elder. Watch out for the strange people.

Merry Christmas, Elder. Watch out for the strange people.

By: Ardis E. Parshall - December 04, 2012

From the Children’s Friend, 1938–

1. As many missionaries can attest, you do run into some strange folks.

Comment by Dustin — December 4, 2012 @ 10:27 am

2. Now that SLC is in the Mission Field, I suppose there are a whole lot of strange people. LOL

Comment by Mex — December 4, 2012 @ 10:52 am

3. I think I’d count some of the missionaries I’ve known as being the strange people…

Comment by Paul — December 4, 2012 @ 11:22 am

4. So no Christmas cards if you weren’t teaching strange people? I guess that if we are “peculiar people” to begin with, we aren’t after the normal ones anyway.

Comment by kevinf — December 4, 2012 @ 11:40 am

5. We had a filmstrip that we used sometimes to introduce the church, called “Morumon to wa?” Sort of “What of the Mormons?” It had a line about missionaries that ended with “mezurashiku arimasen.” “Are not strange.” Nothing like being damned by faint praise, we thought.

Only after listening closer did we hear what the narrator was actually saying, that missionaries were all over so seeing them was not unusual. Whew. But that didn’t stop the young Japanese children from looking at tall, blue-eyed, blond-haired westerners and thinking we were beyond weird.

Comment by Mark B. — December 4, 2012 @ 11:55 am

6. Like high council Sunday when the speaker is “happy to be back to his old ward where he sees so many old friends among the strange faces”.

Comment by Carol — December 4, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

7. I get the “come in today” but what were you supposed to write them about? Did they send someone with a selection of cards to choose from?

Comment by Julia — December 5, 2012 @ 1:39 am

8. Oh, I suppose they were just ordinary Christmas cards. It’s just the awkward wording that made me laugh.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — December 5, 2012 @ 3:42 am