Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 7 November – 21 November 1901

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 7 November – 21 November 1901

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 25, 2012

(Previous installment)

Thursday, November 7, 1901

I arose feeling well. Partook of a hearty breakfast, after which I tacked my shoe soles and then began our work. Received a welcome to come back at any time. Stopped in the woods where we wrote our journals and held prayers. During the forenoon we had no success and came very near missing our dinner, but finally came to a place where the man asked us to come in. They had eaten already but he had his wife prepared us a snack. Visited several families, meeting with about the same success. At 5 p.m. while talking with Bro. Cheatham in the field, he invited us to go to the house and remain over night with him, which invitation we gladly accepted. After supper we spent the evening conversing upon various subjects. I showed the people my little book containing the “Scenes and Citizens of Salt Lake City.” Retired to rest at 8:30 p.m. Good bed.

Friday, November 8, 1901

Arose feeling well. Before leaving, the brother bought one of our little books, also gave us an invitation to return at any time. We came into Herst. Went to see the trustees and were granted the privilege of preaching in the school house. Appointed a meeting for Saturday night. We did not get any dinner. Stopped in the woods for two or three hours. I mended my coat and wrote a letter to U.V. Perkins. Continuing, we called on a Methodist preacher by the name of Blalock. He did not invite us in but I stood outside and talked to him, also sold him a Voice of Warning. Night came on. We began asking for a place to stay. Were refused 6 times, some of them had for excuse that their wives were sick. Others had company, while others had a reasonable excuse: they did not have the room. At 7:00 p.m. we came to a German who took us in and gave us a nice supper. Talked until 9 p.m. when we retired. Our bed was covered with bugs so I did not sleep very much.

Saturday, November 9, 1901

During the night the bed bugs were so thick, running over and biting me, that I could not sleep very much. Soon after breakfast we bid the family goodby and started on our way. Came through Hurst and down to Bro. Lewis, one of the members of our church that we had found. We spent the day with them as we had nothing else to do. They were very glad to see us, as we were them. He was out hunting. Came in with three nice squirrels, which we enjoyed for supper. We then drove to Hurst where we held meeting. I presided. Elder Pierce spoke first for a few moments. I followed for 40 minutes upon the First Principles of the Gospel. There was a good crowd and all paid good attention.

Sunday, November 10, 1901

I arose feeling well after having a good night’s rest. It being Sunday we spent part of the day with Bro. Lewis talking upon different subjects. At 2 p.m. we again drove to Hurst, where we held another meeting. There was but a few came out. Elder Pierce presided. I occupied all of the time, speaking upon The Holy Ghost and officers that were placed in the church. Came home with Bro. Lewis, where we spent the night very pleasantly.

Monday, November 11, 1901

It was very cloudy when we arose. Before we left, we took our dirty clothes and left them with the folks to be washed. At 9 a.m. we started on our way. Went to Hurst and then to Turnersville after our mail. I received two letters from home. Folks all well. We came back in the country. Stopped in the woods where we read and wrote letters all afternoon. Went to Bro. Shriber’s, one of our old friends, to spend the night. Found them well but I don’t suppose they were very glad to see us. We had missed our dinner so supper tasted very good. Spent the evening chatting upon different subjects. Retired to rest at 9 p.m. Good bed.

Tuesday, November 12, 1901

When we arose the wind had changed into the north and was quite cold. Soon after breakfast we bid the folks goodby and were on our way to Turnersville to get our mail. Received word from the elder at the office, nothing concerning Conference. We then came out east into the country and began canvassing. Was not long before we ran on to where the elders had worked last spring. The people were very bitter. One man showed us the road and said “take it.” I kindly thanked him. After finishing, we came back to Bro. Lewis’s where we spent the remainder of the day. I wrote a letter to J.F. Perkins. Spent the evening chatting upon different subjects. Retired at 9 p.m.

Wednesday, November 13, 1901

We arose feeling very well, although I did not rest well as I was cold part of the night. After breakfast we sat and talked until 10 a.m. when we bid them goodby and started for the west side of the County as we had finished all the eastern half. We had only walked about 3 miles when we came to a stop. Elder Pierce wanted to go straight through the bush and fields for about 4 miles while I wanted to go around the road a little farther where we could have good walking. He was bound to go his way and I was the same. So we concluded to go alone and started out. I posted a letter and bought a nickel’s worth of candy and crackers and arrived at the meeting place before he did, although his route was the shortest. We then went down a ways and sat down and ate them. Continuing, it began to rain. We stopped in an old house until it stopped. We reached Bro. Young’s all okay. Stayed over night with them. Nice supper. Talked until bedtime. Retired. Good bed.

Thursday, November 14, 1901

During the night it rained a good shower and it was still very cloudy when we arose. Also very muddy. We partook of a nice breakfast, after which we enjoyed ourselves sitting before the fire all forenoon. Ate dinner, after which we started on our way. Were invited back any time. We wallowed through the mud for about 5 miles and at 4 p.m. we called on another friend by the name of Warren, a Campbellite preacher. We talked with them for a while and were calculating to go on some farther, but he asked us to remain over night and of course we would not refuse a good thing. Ate a hearty supper, after which we spent the evening conversing upon the principles of the gospel. Retired at 9 p.m., after holding prayers. I was mouth. Had a good bed.

Friday, November 15, 1901

It was quite cold when we arose. After breakfast we sat and talked until 9 a.m. when we thanked the kind family and went on our way rejoicing. Crossed over the Leon River to Ater, where we began work. Did not get any place there to preach. Met a preacher by the name of Parsons, who had met several of our elders in Tennessee. We continued to visit the families until noon when we were asked to take dinner with Bro. Miles. We came into Levita to see the trustees of the school house and were granted the privilege of preaching there. We visited the school and had the teacher announce our meeting among the scholars. The mail came in at 5 p.m. so we called at the office. One letter from home. Folks all well. While there Bro. Simpson invited us home to take supper with him, after which we returned to the school house and filled our appointment. It looked very much like the women were afraid of us as there were only three present and about 40 men. We commenced. Elder Pierce presided and spoke for about 10 minutes. I followed for 50 upon some of the principles of the gospel. After closing, we sold three books. Appointed another meeting for Sunday night. Went home with Bro. Simpson. Good bed. Rested fine.

Saturday, November 16, 1901

I arose feeling well. Ate a hearty breakfast, after which we sat and talked until 9 a.m. when we started out on our labor again visiting the families. They were very scattered and I thought for a while we would not find a place for dinner, but finally we came to C. Sewell, two old couples. They were just sitting down to eat, so we were given a place with them. Going on to the next house, we sold him two books and as there were none of his folks at home, we had a shave while with him. We visited several more families. Began asking for entertainment about sunset. Were refused twice. Stayed over night with Bro. J.D. Carr. Partook of a nice supper. Did not talk much on the gospel as they always had something else to talk about. Retired to rest at 9 p.m. Good bed.

Sunday, November 17, 1901

It was quite cold when we arose. After eating we brushed our shoes and then bid the kind folks goodby. Came into Levita. Stopped in the school house where we wrote for a short while. At 11 a.m. we attended the Baptist Sunday School but did not learn anything. After it closed, we went to the Methodist Church, where we listened to a very good sermon. Our friend was not out to meeting but we went to his place. They had just eaten dinner and soon prepared us some. We feasted upon a big turkey and many other nice things. We spent the afternoon with the folks. Supper time came and we again feasted on the old turkey. We then went to the school house to fill our appointment. There was a large congregation came out to hear us. We commenced at 7:15. I presided. We were blessed in our singing. I felt my weakness very much in arising before such a crowd but the Lord came to my assistance and I spoke for one hour upon the Kingdom of God. My mind was bright and voice clear. The people all gave good attention and I believe enjoyed themselves. After we got through a man came up and said he wished to say a word. I said all right, not having any idea that he wanted to cause any confusion. After I saw what he wanted, the crowd was with me and we had him be still. The trustees offered him the house any time but did not want him to disturb our meeting. Went home with Bro. Simpson again.

Monday, November 18, 1901

We arose feeling well. Ate a hearty breakfast, after which we thanked the kind family and went on our way rejoicing. They gave us a warm welcome to return. We went north up the creek to finish a little work up that way, but to our surprise, we found but two houses and an awful lot of walking. We missed our dinner. Sat down a time or two and finished our writing. At 4 p.m. we returned to Levita to get our mail when it came in. Received a letter from Elder Craner giving us the date of Conference, which was to be held Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, 1901. We then walked down the road 2 miles to Bro. J.M. Coop, a Campbellite where we spent the night. Talked on the gospel until 10 p.m. He had some very strange ideas. Before we retired I asked for a tub and some water and had a bath. Felt much better. Good bed.

Tuesday, November 19, 1901

I had a good night’s rest. Arose feeling well. At 8:30 a.m. we thanked the kind family and went on our way rejoicing. Visited the different families. At 11 a.m. we came to Mr. J.W. Shepard. Sold him a book and after talking, he asked us to remain and have dinner with him. Of course we accepted his invitation. During the afternoon we came to a place where three men were working at tombstones. We had a long chat with them, also sold them two books. After leaving them we stopped in the woods for about two hours to rest. Continuing, we began seeking for a place to tarry. Were refused twice, got in at Bro. Mayberry, a young man, where we were given a nice supper and talked until 9 p.m. Retired. Good bed.

Wednesday, November 20, 1901

I arose feeling well. Ate a hearty breakfast and, after talking for a while, we bid them goodby and were on our way rejoicing. The wind was blowing very hard from the south so we were unable to sit down and rest. By noon we had our work all done up to Gatesville and were in a good condition to leave and go to Conference, so we decided to visit friends on the way and, by so doing, get the time in. We went into Gatesville where I bought me a shirt, 60c, a cravat, 25c, and two handkerchiefs, 5c each. We then walked east 6 miles to Bro. Franks. Found them well and glad to see us. Spent the night with them.

Thursday, November 21, 1901

When we arose it was awful cloudy and the wind still blowing from the south at a good rate. At 8:15 we were on our way toward Conference. It was quite cold so we were forced to keep walking in order to keep warm. At noon we called at a place where a friend used to live but he had moved. A man by the name of Smith was there. He invited us in and gave us a nice dinner, after which we walked on to Coryell City where I bought a dime’s worth of candy to take to Bro. Lewis’s children. At 4 p.m. we called on a Mr. Miller who had entertained the elders last spring several times. We were desirous of staying over night. The man was away from home but would be in by night. I made my wants known to the lady of the house. I thought they would be glad to see us but they had turned heathen again. She said she didn’t think they could keep us as they did not have beds enough without making one on the floor and she thought that too much bother. I thanked her and we walked on to Bro. Lewis, a member, where we found them well and glad to see us. We were quite tired as we had walked about 20 miles. We soon ate supper and spent the evening telling of our trip since last we met. Held prayers. I was mouth. Retired.

(To be continued)


No Comments »

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI