Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 24 October – 6 November 1901

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 24 October – 6 November 1901

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 18, 2012

(Previous installment)

Thursday, October 24, 1901

I arose feeling very well will the exception of the result of two pills I had taken before retiring. Ate a good breakfast, after which we had a long talk with the brother on the gospel. I was getting too tight with him, as he said that there was no use for us to have any controversy. His head was set one way and he did not want to receive any light. He was a very tender hearted man. Felt very discouraged on account of the heavy drouth that had passed over the land. When we left him, he was crying. We walked to the post office in Arness and from there began canvassing the country on the south. Visited several families. Partook of a nice dinner with Bro. Wilson. Continuing, we stopped in the woods for a while. I wrote a letter to my sister Mary. Went to the office and received our mail and then started out to seek for a place to tarry. Were refused 3 times. Bro. Weber said we could stay with him but he did not want to hear any of our doctrine. At the supper table, he asked a question and that was just what I wanted. He said he knew all about us, but I think that I advanced a few new thoughts. He was very bitter. Would begin throwing out insults and I would give him a good answer. Repaired to rest at 8:30. Good bed.

Friday, October 25, 1901

I coughed some during the night. Arose quite early feeling well. Soon after breakfast, we bid goodby to the brother and went on our way rejoicing. Stopped in the woods for a while. Wrote our journals and held prayers and were on our way again visiting the different families. At noon we came to Bro. Richardson’s. Were invited in. They had just eaten dinner but failed to ask us to have any; I talked to him for about three quarters of an hour, but he had such queer ideas that it was impossible to show him anything. The next house, Bro. Warner, was a Campbellite preacher. He had met two of the elders of the Reorganized Church in Arkansas. We also had a shave before leaving his place. Continuing, we stopped in the woods where I put a patch on my trousers. Night came on. We received entertainment from Bro. Coward. Nice supper. Talked until 9 p.m. on different subjects. Retired. Good bed. Rested well.

Saturday, October 26, 1901

Arose feeling well. Weather nice and pleasant. We thanked the family and were on our way. Going north the houses were a long ways apart. Came to a school house where we rested for a while. Continuing we started out to get some dinner and found the place of Bro. Grisham. He had to go some distance to attend a lodge meeting so we did not tarry long at his place. As we were canvassing, we came to a house. They were just ready to start to the office in Jonesboro. So we got in and rode with him after our mail. Two letters from home and one from U.V. Perkins. Folks still on the improve with the measles. We came back into the country and began to seek for a place to tarry and found it with Bro. Kelly. He hesitated for a good while but finally said that we could stay. Had a long talk on the gospel. Retired. Good bed.

Sunday, October 27, 1901

I arose feeling well. Partook of a nice breakfast. It being Sunday, we did not want to travel and couldn’t very well ask the brother we stayed with to remain over with him as he was quite rabid. We decided to go and spend the day in a little school house about a mile away, which we did and were not molested. Wrote letters home and also to the office. Slept some and read a little. After spending 9 hours in the little house we took our departure for a place to tarry over night. Visited 7 families. Were refused at every place where the man was at home. Finally got in with Bro. Stephens, where we enjoyed ourselves very well until bed time talking upon the gospel.

October 28, 1901

It was very cloudy when we arose. Ate a hearty breakfast and were soon on our way as the brother had to go to work. We called at the post office but there was no mail for us. We went out of town in the woods for a while. Wrote our journals and held prayers and put a shine on our shoes. Returning at 9 a.m., we began work in the little town of Jonesboro, visiting the different families. By noon we were through. Went east into the country. Failed to get any dinner. Stopped in the woods where we rested until night. Started out to get entertainment. Asked 4 families but were refused. Finally got in with Bro. Watson. Partook of a nice supper. Talked until 9 p.m. upon the gospel. Retired in a little side room. The wind was blowing from the south and came through the cracks causing it to be quite cool. Cover thin, but very thankful to get this.

Tuesday, October 29, 1901

The wind blew through the cracks all night and when we arose my clothes were all damp from the damp air coming in on them. It was awful cloudy. Soon after breakfast we started back to the post office, 4 miles to Jonesboro, after our mail. Elder Pierce stopped about half way with the grips, while I walked on. Found two letters for me. There was a man living there with my full name and all of our packages had been handed out to him. I learned this from the postmaster. So I found out where he lived and called at the place. When I told the old lady what I wanted she became very scared as they had opened all of them. She said that they all came in her son’s name and he didn’t know what to do with them. He knew they weren’t his. “Well,” I said in a kind manner, “whenever I get mail out of the office and I can see by the postmark that it isn’t mine, I hand it back.” We came back into the Pancake community and began hunting up the trustees of the school house. Were refused the privilege of preaching in it. Partook of a hearty dinner with Bro. Weaver. Continuing, we finished canvassing the community. Came to Bro. F. Foote’s, a wealthy farmer. Asked for entertainment. One of the boys went and spoke to him for us. He said we could stay if they could make room for us in their cabin. We then went in to supper and he got a look at us. Had a nice conversation. When bedtime came, instead of going with the hired men to their room, the brother had us occupy the parlor. Nice fine bed. Retired at 9 p.m. Rested fine.

Wednesday, October 30, 1901

It was very cloudy when we arose. Partook of a nice breakfast. The brother was soon to work so we did not tarry long. Began visiting the families. Finished all in the Pancake community and went into Mount Zion. Ate dinner with Bro. C.V. Rye, then went and saw the trustees of the school house. Got their consent to preach there. They informed us that it would be necessary to see the trustees of the church also, as it was church property. Called on Bro. Wilson, one of them, and he said he could not give his permission without consulting with the neighborhood. I tried to persuade him but did no good. So we were disappointed again. Leaving his place, we stopped in the woods a short while. Held prayers and started out to find a place to tarry. Were refused one time. The man did not believe in anything. Next place, Bro. Young, we stayed with him. Spent the evening very pleasant, conversing upon the gospel. Retired at 9:30. Good bed.

Thursday, October 31, 1901

It was very cloudy when we arose. After breakfast we took a shave, talked a while, and then began our labor visiting the families. Stopped in the woods, held prayers, wrote our journals, and went on again. Sold all of our books and could have sold more if we had them. Did not have any dinner, only a few walnuts. Met a missionary Baptist preacher. He began making light and said that we had no truth. I defied him to refute our teachings from the Bible and I said, “if we are wrong, show us if you can for it is your duty.” I told him that I had traveled here in Texas for two years and had met all kind of preachers but not one of them was able to refute our doctrine or show me wherein we were wrong. He went on about other things. I said, “the Bible says cast not your pearls before swine.” He dropped his head and had but little to say.

Night came on. We began seeking for a place to tarry. The first house we asked Bro. Shepperd. He spoke to his wife about keeping us. She was not feeling well. We told him that we didn’t want the folks to go to any trouble for us. He says, “doggone it, Ma, I hate to turn off these kind of men. Come in. You can stay anyway.” Spent the evening very pleasantly.

Friday, November 1, 1901

During the night it began raining a little and was soon drizzling when we arose. about 8:30 a.m. The clouds began to separate and we bid the kind family goodby and went on our way rejoicing. We were desirous of preaching in the school house but, on calling on the trustees, there were none of them at home, so we were unable to fill our expectations. Visited several families. At noon we came to Bro. Cokers. Two old couples were there. Neither of them could read. They had just eaten dinner so I asked the brother for a cold snack and it was granted us. Continuing, we visited several families during the afternoon. At night we were granted the privilege of staying with Bro. Wren. Partook of a nice supper. Talked on the gospel until 9 p.m.

Saturday, November 2, 1901

Shortly after we arose, it began raining. Ate breakfast. It continued to rain all forenoon so we remained with the family, talking with them upon the gospel. Ate dinner. By this time the clouds had broken and the rain had ceased so we took our departure. Although it was quite muddy we managed to get along some way. Walked into Turnerville, where we received some mail, including a pair of pants I had sent after. They cost me $4.75. Very good quality. We came out into the country again. Stopped in with a family while a heavy shower passed over. Night came on. We received entertainment with Bro. Wilson. Partook of a nice supper. Spent the evening talking upon the various principles of the gospel. Before retiring at 9 p.m. I read a chapter from the Bible and was mouth in prayer.

Sunday, November 3, 1901

During the night the wind changed into the north and by morning it was blowing very hard and cold. It being fast day, I did not partake of any breakfast but after the rest were through, we sat around the hot heater enjoying ourselves conversing upon the deeper subjects of the gospel. Also explained the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. Ate dinner, read, and talked together until 4 p.m. when we left as we did not wish to intrude upon the kind family. The wind was still blowing cold. Stopped in the school house where we put a shine on our shoes and wrote up our journals, then started out to find a place to tarry. The second family took us in. Partook of a nice supper, after which we retired to the sitting room where there was a nice hot fire. Spent the evening conversing upon the gospel. I sat up until 10 p.m. writing letters after the rest had retired.

Monday, November 4, 1901

I arose feeling well. Ate a hearty breakfast. It was very chilly so we were in no hurry getting away but wrote a letter to both offices and at 9 a.m. we were on our way visiting the families. Came into the little town of Turnersville. Received letters from some folks. All well. Also from George W. Lee, Jr. We then went to see parties in charge of the Presbyterian Church, but on account of them being so far apart, we were unable to see them without an awful lot of walking. Partook of a nice dinner with Bro. Tenney. (Mutton) Continuing, we visited all of the families in the place, conversing whenever we could get the opportunity. At night we called on Bro. Edwin A. Brenholtz, a wealthy man and one of the best informed men I had met in the state. We partook of his hospitality over night. He was at one time a member of one of the leading churches. By diligent study he had proven that they were in the dark and had withdrawn from any of them. We spent the evening very pleasant. Retiring at 10 p.m. Good bed on floor.

Tuesday, November 5, 1901

I arose feeling well. The air was quite cold. We sat around the heater and talked until 9 a.m. when we took our departure. Were invited back any time we were in the country. Came to a wash where we could get out of sight, so we sat down and read for a while. Continuing we stopped at Bro. W.E. McKinney, where we partook of a nice dinner and talked for sometime. Visited several more families. Met a Baptist preacher. Had a short talk with him and also asked him for entertainment. But his wife was sick and of course could not keep us. Stayed with Bro. Gideon. Did not get to talk much with them. Before retiring I read a chapter and was mouth in prayer. Were given a good bed upstairs. Rested good. Quite cold.

Wednesday, November 6, 1901

The wind was blowing very hard from the south and was very cold when we arose. The brother soon after breakfast went to work, but on account of the cold sat and talked with the women folks until 9 a.m. when we began another day’s work. Met one fellow who was very prejudiced and made many false assertions about us. He said there would be a time when we would see wherein we were wrong. I gave him to understand that I was perfectly satisfied and that I was sorry for him and the rest of the people who were badly in the dark. At noon we partook of a nice dinner with Bro. J.C. Bromley, after which we came into Turnersville. I bought a pair of socks and a box of tacks. We then came east visiting the families. Stopped in the woods to rest for a while. Received entertainment at Brother Wallace’s. Partook of a fine supper. The Gentleman was very busy until bed time so we did not get to talk with him. Retired at 9 p.m.

(To be continued)


No Comments »

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI