Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Lorenzo Snow

Lorenzo Snow

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 22, 2012

From the Children’s Friend, 1945 –

1. Cool. Kind of a precursor of today’s “white board” animations…

Comment by Paul — October 22, 2012 @ 8:04 am

2. I like this a lot. Was this one of a kind or were other presidents portrayed too?

Comment by Niklas — October 22, 2012 @ 8:15 am

3. There’s a whole series, up through George Albert Smith (except that instead of Brigham Young there’s one on “This Is the Place”). I’ll post them all over the next few weeks, if the interest is there.

Parents, if you show this to your kids, I’d welcome a report on whether the cursive handwriting was readable by them, and at what age or grade. If you don’t want to post that publicly, perhaps you’d write to me (AEParshall at aol dot com) or simply note that your experience is roughly similar to commenter so-and-so.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 22, 2012 @ 9:00 am

4. What a beautiful collage. I grew up looking at those kinds of things, and enjoy them still.

Comment by Bessie — October 22, 2012 @ 9:17 am

5. FYI— We will be studying the teachings of Lorenzo Snow in Priesthood/Relief Society in 2013.

The mannual is available at the church website and you can view it online.

I believe the historical introduction is much better than some of the mannuals in the past. It admits that Lorenzo Snow was a polygamist. In a footnote it draws on recent scholarship to suggest that at the time people in St. George did not connect a rain which helped break the drought in St George with Lorenzo Snows sermon on tithing at the tabernacle in St. George.

Comment by john willis — October 22, 2012 @ 10:07 am

6. An early Mormon infographic :-)

Comment by Alison — October 22, 2012 @ 10:26 am

7. I sent you an email about the kids. This is an interesting post, and I think my kids would enjoy seeing more of them. :-)

Comment by Julia — October 22, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

8. Beautiful. Please do post others from the series.

Comment by reed russell — October 23, 2012 @ 3:48 am

9. Most of the manuals on polygamous presidents of the church “admit” that they were polygamists.

Comment by Left Field — October 23, 2012 @ 4:29 am

10. I don’t believe the Priesthood/Relief Society manual on Brigham Young’s teachings mentions any ties between him and polygamy.

Comment by reed russell — October 23, 2012 @ 8:28 am

11. My 8 year old son was able to read about half of the words. He is being introduced to cursive for the first time in school this year. My 5 year old son was able to read a few of the short words (at, of, the, etc.) and Baptized.

I’d like to see more of these.

Comment by mahana — October 23, 2012 @ 9:31 am

12. Reed- They certainly don’t contain any of the talks or writings on polygamy, or why polygamy was necessary. I think reading their thoughts about polygamy, and why it was justified, is something today’s members could use in helping think through a number of social issues now. That those explanations are missing from current understanding is part if what makes a lot of members shocked when they learn about earlier church history, IMHO.

Comment by Julia — October 23, 2012 @ 10:25 am

13. The chronology of Lorenzo Snow’s life in the manual does mention that he served time in prison for unlawful cohabitation(i.e. practicing polygamy). That is a step in the right direction.

Comment by john willis — October 23, 2012 @ 12:23 pm