Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1928 (4)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1928 (4)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 16, 2012

El Segundo, California

Bankstown Sunday School
Sydney, Australia

Butte, Montana
Sunday School

Missionaries in Wisconsin

(left to right, front row:) Noah S. Pond, _______ Pond, William Grant Oward, Rachel Grant Taylor,
John H. Taylor. (standing:) Auretta Gurtsen, Afton Burgon, Zina Jacobs, George Choules,
Ralph E. Moyes, Fred H. Smith, Myrna E. Coulam, Morrell Labrum, Iona Oborn, Reid B. Erikson,
Marguerete Utly, Joseph H. Rowley, Thelma Dredge, Jefferson B. Stowell, Wilmont Nelson.

Elders of Western Nebraska

(left to right:) A. George Woodland, William S. Holt, Robert R. Ricks, Richard D. Rust

(The elders used the car for traveling in their huge district,
and slept in the tent when they couldn’t find other accommodations.)

Primary at Hoboken, New Jersey

Gretna, Virginia
Sunday School

Decatur, Illinois
Missionaries and Members Celebrating the Fourth of July

Red Hill, Mississippi
Sunday School

Waycross, Georgia
Sunday School

Missionaries of West Texas

(left to right, front:) Wilma M. Hixson, S.O. Bennion, Gomer H. Williams, Portia Austin.
(back:) Cecil Tonks, Leslie J. Burrup, Lalovee R. Jensen, Almon H. Orton, Lester Jensen, Everett T. Acor, James G. Martineau.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Non-Mormon Primary

(Elder Eugene Millett, left; Mrs. J.A. Roads, center; Elder Grant Patterson, right)

Missionaries, San Jose, California

(left to right, back:) Harold W. Woolston, J. Karl Heywood, Ruth Sidwell, Franklin Jones, Erma Sparks,
H. Winfield Clark, Sister _______ Clark, Claude H. Rockwood. (front:) Ethelynn Moncur, E. Cecil McGavin, Delbert J. Fugal,
Sister ________ Fugal, Everett T. Devey, Winfield B. Burton, Afton Whitney.

1. Yeah! More pictures! Ardis, any idea what’s up with the non-Mormon primary?

Comment by Gary Bergera — October 16, 2012 @ 9:10 am

2. Missionaries — mostly sisters — organized home and neighborhood Primaries as a missionary tool (interest the kids, then interest the parents in what their children are doing, or at least make friends and wear down stereotypes). They taught general religious principles, plus songs and crafts, things that almost any Christian family would want. My aunt did that in Northern California in the ’40s, too. That’s what I’m guessing is going on in this case.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 9:16 am

3. Thanks again, Ardis.

I suspect that the elder in the Wisconsin picture is William Grant Ovard–born 1905 in Rexburg, Idaho. My sister married an Ovard, but not from Idaho, so I checked to see if there were a connection. I quickly discovered that the clan is much too large to make any connections between her husband’s family and that Elder Ovard.

Comment by Mark B. — October 16, 2012 @ 9:36 am

4. These are fantastic. Thanks, Ardis!

Comment by Christopher — October 16, 2012 @ 9:47 am

5. Hi Ardis, So non-Mormon primary might have been something of a corollary to missionary-taught English lessons?

Comment by Gary Bergera — October 16, 2012 @ 10:21 am

6. Tonks? There’s a Tonks in the West Texas group. Does that mean they were early aurors? : )

Comment by Amy T — October 16, 2012 @ 10:32 am

7. Yeah, Gary, that’s about right.

I googled enough to know that Amy’s joke is Harry Potter-based, but I’m otherwise clueless …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 10:43 am

8. Rachel Grant Taylor was Pres. Heber J. Grant’s daughter and she married John H. Taylor later of the First Council of the Seventy and one of the few dentists in the leading councils of the Church. I think there were three others who served and were dentists

Comment by Cameron — October 16, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

9. Cameron, you continue to amaze me with the trivia you come up with in connection to these pictures — how in the heck are you so informed on GA dentists?? (I don’t doubt you at all, and am laughing only because you have such a factoid at your fingertips!)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

10. oh! tee hee! I just knew Pres. Taylor was a dentist and it got me thinking who else was and somehow knew Elders Hillam, Curtis and Daryl Garn were or are. I think because it is kind of a rare profession to have in the councils of the Church I mentally lumped the ones who are it together!

Comment by Cameron — October 16, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

11. I am struck by the height of one of the women in the Wisconsin photo. She looks ginormous, especially for 1928.

Comment by Julie — October 16, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

12. We should do a Mormon History Jeopardy! game, Cameron. “I’ll take dentists for $400, Ardis.”

Yes, she stands out, doesn’t she? I hope her height didn’t make her too terribly self-conscious … it didn’t keep her from serving a mission, though, so three cheers for her.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

13. Oh that Jubilee Sego Lily!

Comment by Mina — October 16, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

14. Who celebrates the Fourth of July wearing suit coats and ties?

Comment by Maurine Ward — October 17, 2012 @ 12:23 am

15. Love the photos. You never know what tidbits will pop out. Non-Mormon Primaries, GA dentists, LDS Pioneer families from Idaho. It’s quite a sampling of Mormon history.

Comment by Bruce Crow — October 17, 2012 @ 8:18 am

16. Mina, I thought that sego lilly was a pansy, like the old primary song Little Purple Pansies. Actually, my first impression was that it was a parade entry from the junior primary sambadrome…

Comment by The Other Clark — October 17, 2012 @ 10:02 am

17. Missionaries, San Jose, California

There are eight people on the front row and names for seven. Can you fix the problem? I am looking for my uncle, Everette T Devey and want to be sure which man he is.

I don’t believe you should put this comment in with your collection. I only want your response.

Thank you.

Comment by Donald Bennett — January 28, 2013 @ 8:27 am

18. Donald, based on the genders, it’s the woman third from the left who isn’t named (going by the way she’s holding on to Cecil McGavin, she’s probably Mrs. Cecil McGavin). The genders match up to the names to make your uncle third from the right, the one in the bow tie.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 28, 2013 @ 9:15 am

19. I am looking for a Master Mormon Man Pin for my daughter in law’s dad. He earned it and sent the requirements in to the church. They sent a letter back that they had discontinued the program 4 days earlier and did not send him a pin. She would like to either find a pin for him or a picture of the pin and its dimensions so she can have one made. Can you please help me? Thank you very much. God Bless you
    Diane.

Comment by Diane Wright — January 28, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

20. Diane, this question comes up surprisingly frequently. The pins haven’t been made for decades and are no longer available through the Church. Your best bet, so far as I know, is to check with antiques shops if you live in traditional Mormon areas, and to search regularly on eBay. I have to say, though, that I have haunted eBay for Mormon memorabilia for years now and have never seen a Gleaner or M-Man pin come up for auction.

You can see an image of the M-Man pin here, but I doubt that’s clear enough to have one made, and I can’t help you with the dimensions.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — January 28, 2013 @ 12:42 pm