Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Come Play Conference Wordles! (October 2012 edition)

Come Play Conference Wordles! (October 2012 edition)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 15, 2012

Conference means a lot of things … one of least (but most fun!) things being playing our traditional Conference Wordle game. The text of some of the talks and songs and other features have been run through the engine at Wordle.net, which analyzes the number of times each word is used in that talk. Words that areused most frequently appear larger; words that appear only a few times are quite small.

Your role is to figure out what talk is represented by each Wordle here. It may help to refer to the Conference list here. Please give us the name of the speaker and the name of the talk … and please limit yourself to solving one puzzle to give others a chance to play. If there are still puzzles unsolved at the end of the day, I’ll open it up for anyone to solve additional puzzles.

Enjoy!

20:

21:

22:

23:

24:

25:

1. I’ve been waiting for you to post these!

#1 is Be (should be “Bee” ☺) Anxiously Engaged by Elder M. Russell Ballard from the Saturday Afternoon Session.

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — October 15, 2012 @ 8:31 am

2. And Chocolate gets us off to a good start!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 8:54 am

3. I’ll guess that #20 was Elder Oaks’s comments on children.

Comment by Amy T — October 15, 2012 @ 8:59 am

4. Hooray! Love the Wordles!

#2 is President Eyring’s “Where is the Pavilion?”

Comment by Paul — October 15, 2012 @ 9:02 am

5. #19 is my favorite hymn “On This Day of Joy and Gladness.”

Comment by mahana — October 15, 2012 @ 9:12 am

6. And we have three more winners!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 9:32 am

7. No. 3 is Elder Scotts’s “Joy of Redeeming the Dead” talk.

Comment by Alison — October 15, 2012 @ 9:55 am

8. Indeed it is, Alison.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 10:10 am

9. #4 sure seems like “I need thee every hour”.

Comment by HokieKate — October 15, 2012 @ 10:19 am

10. It’s practically spelled out there in sentence order, isn’t it, HokieKatie? :)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 10:20 am

11. Too busy to think too hard, but #9 looks like the song “If the Savior Stood Beside Me”… I was in Primary the year they taught that. At a family reunion (mostly not LDS) a couple years back, while I was goofing around with my guitar as we sat around the campfire late late on 4th of July night, when my LDS nieces requested that song. Not a dry eye. Love that song.

Comment by Coffinberry — October 15, 2012 @ 11:21 am

12. Number 5 is Elder Marcus Nash’s talk, where he told of hiking near Macchu Picchu.

Comment by Mark B. — October 15, 2012 @ 11:32 am

13. Two more solved. I’m especially glad you got Elder Nash’s, since he’s one of the few (not the only) non-Q12, non-1P speakers, which might have made it harder for people.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 11:43 am

14. To recap:

1. M. Russell Ballard, “Be Anxiously Engaged”
    2. Henry B. Eyring, “Where Is the Pavilion?”
    3. Richard G. Scott, “The Joy of Redeeming the Dead”
    4. I Need Thee Every Hour
    5. Marcus B. Nash, “By Faith All Things Are Fulfilled”
    9. If the Savior Stood Beside Me
    10.
    11.
    12.
    13.
    14.
    15.
    16.
    17.
    18.
    19. On This Day of Joy and Gladness
    20. Dallin H. Oaks, “Protect the Children”
    21.
    22.
    23.
    24.
    25.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

15. # 23 Sister Dibb
    I Know it I live it I love it

Comment by Marva — October 15, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

16. That’s it, Marva. Thanks for participating!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

17. I’ll give #17 a shot. Elder Holland is always one of my favorites, and this time was no exception.

Comment by lindberg — October 15, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

18. #18, The First Great Commandment by Elder Holland?

Comment by charlene — October 15, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

19. Mine got stuck in the queue while lindberg was posting, and now I see that the numbers are above the puzzle not below. Playing-Fail.

Comment by charlene — October 15, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

20. In the mouth of two or three witnesses, charlene — yours confirms that lindberg got that one (and allows you to work out another one, if you’d like).

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 1:40 pm

21. #15 is the Sustaining of Church Officers from the Saturday afternoon session. These are so fun!

Comment by EmiG — October 15, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

22. #25 is President Monson “Consider the Blessings”

Comment by Chris — October 15, 2012 @ 2:07 pm

23. 25. Consider the Blessings by President Monson

Comment by Jami — October 15, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

24. Chris and Jami, you cross-posted (with, of course, a correct solution), so if you’d like to solve another one, you’re welcome to.

EmiG,the sustaining wordle always makes me laugh. I’m glad you enjoy these like I do.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

25. 24. Can Ye Feel So Now? by Elder Cook

So glad be able to play. It’s been a while.

Comment by Jami — October 15, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

26. Here’s a recap, including Jami’s correct solution just above.

1. M. Russell Ballard, “Be Anxiously Engaged”
    2. Henry B. Eyring, “Where Is the Pavilion?”
    3. Richard G. Scott, “The Joy of Redeeming the Dead”
    4. I Need Thee Every Hour
    5. Marcus B. Nash, “By Faith All Things Are Fulfilled”
    9. If the Savior Stood Beside Me
    10.
    11.
    12.
    13.
    14.
    15. Sustaining of Church Officers
    16.
    17. Jeffrey R. Holland, “The First Great Commandment”
    18.
    19. On This Day of Joy and Gladness
    20. Dallin H. Oaks, “Protect the Children”
    21.
    22.
    23. Ann M. Dibb, “I Know It, I Live It, I Love It”
    24. Quentin L. Cook, “Can Ye Feel So Now?”
    25. Thomas S. Monson, “Consider the Blessings”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

27. Number 6 – Elder Christofferson. Brethren, We Have Work.

Comment by reed russell — October 15, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

28. That’s right, reed.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 15, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

29. Okay, nobody coming now can claim they didn’t have a chance to play. Anybody who wants to solve more, come and get it.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 9:14 am

30. No. 10: Elder Packer’s “Let the Lower Lights Be Burning” address (I think it’s simply titled “The Atonement” on LDS.org).

Comment by Alison — October 16, 2012 @ 9:48 am

31. You begged, so here’s another.

22 Elder Hales

Comment by Mark B. — October 16, 2012 @ 10:11 am

32. I begged, and Alison and Mark B. have come through. Thanks!

1. M. Russell Ballard, “Be Anxiously Engaged”
    2. Henry B. Eyring, “Where Is the Pavilion?”
    3. Richard G. Scott, “The Joy of Redeeming the Dead”
    4. I Need Thee Every Hour
    5. Marcus B. Nash, “By Faith All Things Are Fulfilled”
    6. D. Todd Christofferson, “Brethren, We Have Work to Do”
    9. If the Savior Stood Beside Me
    10 Boyd K. Packer, “The Atonement”
    11.
    12.
    13.
    14.
    15. Sustaining of Church Officers
    16.
    17. Jeffrey R. Holland, “The First Great Commandment”
    18.
    19. On This Day of Joy and Gladness
    20. Dallin H. Oaks, “Protect the Children”
    21.
    22. Robert D. Hales, “Being a More Christian Christian”
    23. Ann M. Dibb, “I Know It, I Live It, I Love It”
    24. Quentin L. Cook, “Can Ye Feel So Now?”
    25. Thomas S. Monson, “Consider the Blessings”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 10:13 am

33. Number 7 is Elder Nelson, “Ask the Missionaries! They Can Help You!”

Comment by John L — October 16, 2012 @ 10:36 am

34. That’s right, John L — thank for joining in!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 10:41 am

35. 7. Ask the Missionaries! They Can Help You! By Elder Russell M. Nelson

Comment by Jami — October 16, 2012 @ 10:41 am

36. Curses! Cross posted again!

Comment by Jami — October 16, 2012 @ 10:42 am

37. Haha! You are channeling everybody else! (In both cases, the crossposting happened because someone’s comment was caught in the moderation filter — it isn’t because you didn’t refresh your screen.)

Try another one … or two … or six …

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 10:48 am

38. #21 David A Bednar: Converted unto the Lord.

(I hope, I hope!)

Comment by Paul — October 16, 2012 @ 10:54 am

39. Working on six. It’s a bugger.

Comment by Jami — October 16, 2012 @ 10:57 am

40. 16. Of Regrets and Resolutions By President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Sixteen, not six, was the bugger. No distinctive words in that one. Phew!

Comment by Jami — October 16, 2012 @ 11:04 am

41. Paul and Jami, you’re both right. Bravo!

I’m a little surprised that 12 is still up for grabs. That one seems easy to me.

14 seems the hardest to me of those that are left.

Recap:

1. M. Russell Ballard, “Be Anxiously Engaged”
    2. Henry B. Eyring, “Where Is the Pavilion?”
    3. Richard G. Scott, “The Joy of Redeeming the Dead”
    4. I Need Thee Every Hour
    5. Marcus B. Nash, “By Faith All Things Are Fulfilled”
    6. D. Todd Christofferson, “Brethren, We Have Work to Do”
    7. Russell M. Nelson, “Ask the Missionaries! They Can Help You!”
    9. If the Savior Stood Beside Me
    10 Boyd K. Packer, “The Atonement”
    11.
    12.
    13.
    14.
    15. Sustaining of Church Officers
    16. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Of Regrets and Resolutions”
    17. Jeffrey R. Holland, “The First Great Commandment”
    18.
    19. On This Day of Joy and Gladness
    20. Dallin H. Oaks, “Protect the Children”
    21. David A. Bednar, “Converted unto the Lord”
    22. Robert D. Hales, “Being a More Christian Christian”
    23. Ann M. Dibb, “I Know It, I Live It, I Love It”
    24. Quentin L. Cook, “Can Ye Feel So Now?”
    25. Thomas S. Monson, “Consider the Blessings”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 11:25 am

42. Yes, 12 is easy — “We Thanks Thee, O God, For A Prophet”

Comment by lindberg — October 16, 2012 @ 11:44 am

43. 13 is Trail of your Faith by Neil L. Andersen

Comment by Kat — October 16, 2012 @ 11:45 am

44. 14. Is Faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ Written in Our Hearts? By Linda K. Burton

Ladder and pit are the helpful words in that one.

Comment by Jami — October 16, 2012 @ 11:50 am

45. While I’m at it, I’ll pick the other low-hanging fruit — #18 is Pres. Eyring from the priesthood session. I remember the talk for #13, but I can’t remember who gave it. I guess I could look at my notes, but I haven’t yet.

Comment by lindberg — October 16, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

46. Wow! Streaks of genius while I was away. These solutions are all correct, leaving, if I’ve kept track correctly, only 8 and 11 needing identification.

1. M. Russell Ballard, “Be Anxiously Engaged”
    2. Henry B. Eyring, “Where Is the Pavilion?”
    3. Richard G. Scott, “The Joy of Redeeming the Dead”
    4. I Need Thee Every Hour
    5. Marcus B. Nash, “By Faith All Things Are Fulfilled”
    6. D. Todd Christofferson, “Brethren, We Have Work to Do”
    7. Russell M. Nelson, “Ask the Missionaries! They Can Help You!”
    9. If the Savior Stood Beside Me
    10 Boyd K. Packer, “The Atonement”
    11.
    12. We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet
    13. Neil L. Andersen, Trial of Your Faith”
    14. Linda K. Burton, “Is Faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ Written in Our Hearts?”
    15. Sustaining of Church Officers
    16. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Of Regrets and Resolutions”
    17. Jeffrey R. Holland, “The First Great Commandment”
    18. Henry B. Eyring, “Help Them Aim High”
    19. On This Day of Joy and Gladness
    20. Dallin H. Oaks, “Protect the Children”
    21. David A. Bednar, “Converted unto the Lord”
    22. Robert D. Hales, “Being a More Christian Christian”
    23. Ann M. Dibb, “I Know It, I Live It, I Love It”
    24. Quentin L. Cook, “Can Ye Feel So Now?”
    25. Thomas S. Monson, “Consider the Blessings”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

47. Isn’t 8 Pres. Monson? Didn’t he mention going to a meeting in Leadville? Yep, in the Priesthood Session.

Comment by Mark B. — October 16, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

48. That’s it, Mark!

We’re down to No. 11.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

49. 11 is Elder Perry.

Comment by Mark B. — October 16, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

50. Bingo! Thanks, Mark.

The complete answer key is:

1. M. Russell Ballard, “Be Anxiously Engaged”
    2. Henry B. Eyring, “Where Is the Pavilion?”
    3. Richard G. Scott, “The Joy of Redeeming the Dead”
    4. I Need Thee Every Hour
    5. Marcus B. Nash, “By Faith All Things Are Fulfilled”
    6. D. Todd Christofferson, “Brethren, We Have Work to Do”
    7. Russell M. Nelson, “Ask the Missionaries! They Can Help You!”
    8. Thomas S. Monson, “See Others as They May Become”
    9. If the Savior Stood Beside Me
    10 Boyd K. Packer, “The Atonement”
    11. L. Tom Perry, “Becoming Goodly Parents”
    12. We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet
    13. Neil L. Andersen, Trial of Your Faith”
    15. Sustaining of Church Officers
    16. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Of Regrets and Resolutions”
    17. Jeffrey R. Holland, “The First Great Commandment”
    18. Henry B. Eyring, “Help Them Aim High”
    19. On This Day of Joy and Gladness
    20. Dallin H. Oaks, “Protect the Children”
    21. David A. Bednar, “Converted unto the Lord”
    22. Robert D. Hales, “Being a More Christian Christian”
    23. Ann M. Dibb, “I Know It, I Live It, I Love It”
    24. Quentin L. Cook, “Can Ye Feel So Now?”
    25. Thomas S. Monson, “Consider the Blessings”

We’ll play again in six months.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 16, 2012 @ 2:32 pm