Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 8 August – 25 August 1901

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 8 August – 25 August 1901

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 14, 2012

(Previous installment)

Thursday, August 8, 1901

After 9 o’clock we were again left alone, as Bro. C. was attending a music school. I spent the forenoon writing a long letter to John F. Perkins. After dinner I went to the school with the folks and listened to them recite. At night we entertained ourselves, singing the songs of Zion.

Friday, August 9, 1901

The time had come for us to continue on our way to the next Saints. Soon after breakfast we bid the folks goodby and started south to Deadwood, arriving there at 1 p.m. Met Bro. Jones, one of the members. Partook dinner with his son-in-law, Mr. Attaway. We then came on to Bro. Jones’ place. He gave us the direction. It was awful warm. We sat down to rest and while there some men came along in a wagon. We got a ride for about 5 miles, which helped us out considerable. We arrived at Bro. J.’s house at 6 p.m. His three little children were at home. We made out the best we could under the circumstances.

Saturday, August 10, 1901

I rested very well during the night. After breakfast I walked out to the melon patch and had a good feast. Spent most of the forenoon resting and reading. While we were eating dinner, Bro. Jones came back. He had gone after his wife but she would not come with him. She had been crazy for nearly 20 years. Had caused the old gentleman a great deal of trouble. He had threatened to kill himself a time or two. We had a meeting appointed for night. It was late before we commenced our meeting. Elder Pierce spoke first for 15 minutes upon several subjects. I followed for one-half hour speaking upon the principle of baptism. After meeting I advertised our books and sold five of them.

Sunday, August 1, 1901

We arose after having a good night’s rest. Spent the forenoon reading the paper and talking upon the gospel. At 4 p.m. we walked down to the branch and I led three children into the waters of baptism. It was indeed a time of rejoicing for me to be permitted to officiate in the name of the Lord. The spirit of the Lord was with me. The children walked into the water without any fear. At night there was a nice crowded assemblage together in front of the house with the heavens for our covering. We commenced our meeting. I spoke first for 45 minutes upon the Holy Ghost and Organization. Elder P. spoke for a few minutes. Retired to bed after a good day’s work.

Monday, August 12, 1901

I rested fine during the night. Arose early as we wanted to get an early start and walk while it was cool. By 6 p.m. we had bid the folks goodby and were on our way to Logansport where we arrived at 9 a.m., a distance of 10 miles. The passenger train was due there in a few moments so we bought us a ticket to Emporia, Angelina County, a distance of 85 miles. It cost us $1.30 apiece. It seemed like they ran awful slow. There had been no rain for so long that the roads were awful dusty and, by the time we reached our destination, which was about 4 p.m., we were as dirty as could be. At the office we found our mail all okay. Were glad to learn that the folks were all well at home. The log train was going out in the country as soon as they unloaded, so we waited and they gave us a ride of 12 miles. We started to find Bro. Grimes, a distance of 1-1/2 miles. We took the wrong road and wandered around for a long time. I finally began to holler and got an answer and we were directed to the right place. They were surprised to see us. The kind sister prepared us a cold supper and, as it was late we soon laid down & rested until morning.

Tuesday, August 13, 1901

I rested good during the night; was quite late when we arose. I spent the day about the house. Wrote the folks at home a good long letter. Then took a nap until dinner. The afternoon was spent very pleasantly talking with the folks. They were anxious to hear us preach so, during the day, they sent word around through the neighborhood that two Mormons would preach in the school house. Soon after dark we went to the school house. There were but a few present, but we commenced anyway. Elder Pierce spoke first for a while. I followed for 30 minutes, speaking upon the Holy Ghost. Returned home with Bro. Grimes.

Wednesday, August 14, 1901

I did not rest very good because the ants and bugs kept biting me all night. After breakfast we took our clothes down to the spring and washed them out. The kind sister wanted to do it for us but she was not feeling well, so we did it ourselves. After we got through with that job, we brushed up and walked up and visited Bro. Baker a while. Partook dinner with him. At 3 p.m. we came back. I had a shave. We then went over to Bro. Grimes’ place and ate supper. From there to the school house. We did not commence until quite late as some of the people were slow about coming. We entertained what were there by singing a few songs to them. We commenced. I did all of the talking. When I arose my mind was a blank and it seemed almost impossible for me to say anything. I finally was led out upon a subject and spoke for 45 minutes. Had a very good time.

Thursday, August 15, 1901

We had decided to leave this morning as the people were hardly able to prepare for themselves let alone us. We got an early start. Walked up to the train road. The log train had not gone in yet so we went to the switch, and got a free ride for 12 miles. The road was not built very safe and in places it was awful steep, so they would run hard down the slope to make it up. And the road being so rough, it kept a person watching to stay with it. I had almost decided that to walk was safer than a ride on such a risky place. At Emporia we walked up the railroad tracks 4 miles to Burke. The passenger train was due in a few moments so we bought a ticket to Lufkin, 8 miles, for 15 cents. Arriving there we found a place where we could get a bed apiece for 25 cents each so we left our grips and walked down and viewed the large sawmill. The logs would come in from one end and three minutes later they were in lumber. Every day they would saw 100,000 feet to 200,000 feet a day and night. The boss of the works was getting $25,000 a year. We came back to town. Got a 15 cent meal. Returned to our room and after talking with the proprietor for a while we retired to rest feeling quite tired.

Friday, August 16, 1901

We arose quite early as we were intending to take the train for Alto, a distance of 32 miles. It cost us 5 cents. We arrived there at 8:30 a.m. From there we took it by foot across the country to Augusta, Henston County, 25 miles. We walked along at a good rate until about noon when it began to get awful warm. I began to ache and finally had a fever which lasted for about 3 hours. The sun being so hot gave me an awful headache with it. We would walk as far as we could and then take a short rest. After we had got within two miles of our destination, we got lost and walked about 4 miles out of our way. Finally came to a home and were put on the right road and by sunset we had arrived at Bro. Zimmerman’s, entirely give out. They were very glad to see us. We did not have any dinner, but I was so tired that I could hardly eat supper. When I returned to rest, my body ached so that I could not go to sleep for some time.

Saturday August 17, 1901

When I arose I was feeling much better although was awful sore. Bro. Z. Had to go to Crockett after some things so we made ourselves to home among the folks. I walked down to the creek and took a good bath and changed clothes. Spent most of the day in reading. Sent to the post office after our mail. Received letters from home folks. All well. Retired to bed quite early.

Sunday, August 18, 1901

When I arose I was feeling very well, but by 10 a.m. I began to ache and wallow on the bed. By 11 a.m. a very heavy damp chill came on me which lasted for nearly an hour. I dropped off to sleep and when I awoke, I was burning up with a very hot fever. I suffered considerable. At times it seemed as though I could hardly catch my breath. At about 3 p.m. It was getting so hard that I could hardly stand it. Sister Z. Had me put my head out over the bed and she poured a bucket of cold water just from the well over it. When she first poured it on, it seemed like it would freeze me. After she had done that the fever cooled off considerable and by dark it had all left me but I was in an awful condition. Was not long going to bed after dark came.

Monday, August 19, 1901

I was feeling bad when I arose; did not eat but very little during the day. Along about noon I was feeling some better. Wrote a letter to my folks. In the evening I and Alton took the guns and walked out into the woods. I killed one squirrel. At about dark the fever began to rise and lasted nearly all night. The night was spent in rolling over the bed.

Tuesday, August 20, 1901

I could hardly move around when morning came. My appetite had failed me and I had begun to look peaked. I lay around all day unable to sit up or walk around. I wished many times that I was home while in such a condition, although the folks were doing all they could for me. Another fever came on which lasted all night.

Wednesday, August 21, 1901

I still had the fever when I arose. It lasted all day and never in my life did I feel so miserable. My head was in such a condition that I could hardly sit up. By this time my lips and nose had all broken out with fever sores and they were in a horrible condition.

Thursday, August 22, 1901

Did not have any fever but felt awful miserable. Laid on the cot most of the day.

Friday, August 23, 1901

I began to feel better. Ate a little more although I had an awful craving for something sour. Spent the day very good. In the afternoon I saddled up the horse and rode four miles to the post office and tried to buy me some lemons but there were none to be found.

Saturday, August 24, 1901

I felt considerable better when I arose. After breakfast I walked over the farm, took the gun and shot at birds a few times. Had a nice bath in the creek. At night we walked up to the school house and listened to a man preach that didn’t belong to any church. He was disgusted with all of the churches, and had started to have the people live better. He made a great splutter. His mode of travel was by foot. Received no pay. So much was Mormon doctrine.

Sunday, August 25, 1901

It was quite late when I arose. After breakfast I spent the time writing a letter to my folks. Slept until 2 p.m. Took the target rifle and shot a chicken’s head off. The same was soon prepared for supper and was soon eaten up. We then took a walk over to a neighbor’s about two miles, where there were sick folks. Had a conversation with them, their main idea being polygamy.

(To be continued)


No Comments »

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI