Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Signs of the Times

Signs of the Times

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 08, 2012

What’s better than a calendar to tell you that October Conference is past? Crews putting up Christmas lights around Temple Square.

1. Wow, really? I guess it would take several weeks to get all those lights in place…

Comment by iguacufalls — October 8, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

2. I guess I’d better get mine up, too… :-)

Comment by Paul — October 8, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

3. Or at least tell anybody who has complained about your not taking them down last year that you were getting a jump on them this year.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 8, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

4. I wish I had the franchise for the rental of those lifts in SLC this month!

And what’s that Temple of Dendur-looking building just behind the people on the walkway?

Comment by Mark B. — October 8, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

5. Mark, this picture is actually on North Temple just in front of the Relief Society Building, so what you see is at the entrance to the Main Street Paza. The front of that thing is a fountain. I’m not sure what else it is — part of the ventilation system for the underground parking? housing for machinery of some kind? They are at each of the Plaza’s North and South Temple entrances.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 8, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

6. I dislike it when Christmas decorations go up before Thanksgiving — it feels like it is part of the relentless commercial push to make the season earlier and earlier.

But, I imagine that putting them up is a lot of work, and with weather concerns, what can I say… As long as they don’t turn them on too early.

Comment by Kent Larsen — October 9, 2012 @ 5:01 am

7. The lights don’t go on until the Friday after Thanksgiving. They put up hundreds of thousands of lights, so yes, it takes weeks. The other decorations the creches and floating lights in the reflecting pools and the lanterns and the wreaths, and the trees in the lobbies) go up just before Thanksgiving and are unavoidably visible, but nothing is lighted, no carols play, until that Friday.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 9, 2012 @ 6:24 am

8. Didn’t they start almost a month ago? I remember seeing the lifts amoungst all the work on the gardening to prepare for the conferences.

Comment by Frank Pellett — October 9, 2012 @ 9:03 am

9. Will you post pictures after they are up and lit? :-)

Comment by Julia — October 9, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

10. Sure!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 9, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

11. They actually started in September.

Comment by Allen — October 15, 2012 @ 8:34 am