Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Yeah, Me Neither

Yeah, Me Neither

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 05, 2012

Remember when all the Church’s temples fit into a compact one-page illustration?

From the Improvement Era, 1932 —

1. Not so much… But I do remember in Primary learning that there were only 18 of them (and we were so excited about the upcoming dedication of the DC temple which would be only 12 hours away!). And to think they broke ground for a new one last Saturday in that metropolis where I attended primary forty years ago.

It boggles my mind. Can’t wait for the drawings to be announced and groundbreaking to start on the one that will be only 25 miles from where I live now!

Comment by Coffinberry — October 5, 2012 @ 7:39 am

2. Not quite, but I do remember that when I took out my endowments (living in the midwestern US) we could choose to travel 18 hours to Utah or more to DC – that was it. Within a few short years there were 2 more to choose from: Dallas and Denver. We were so amazed and thrilled! To only go 6 hours to the temple! Woo-hoo!

Comment by Bonnie — October 5, 2012 @ 7:57 am

3. There were 16, four rows of four, on my missionary flip chart page, 1976-1978. I think that got us to Washington DC

Comment by Grant — October 5, 2012 @ 7:59 am

4. Four rows of four would be about right if the weren’t counting Kirtland and Nauvoo, as appear in the picture here. (makes that little proposition “of” somewhat problematic, no?)

Comment by Coffinberry — October 5, 2012 @ 8:33 am

5. I’m trying hard to remember, and I’m not the historian Ardis is, but I bet that flipchart was prepared in the early 70s. I seem to recall the picture of the Washington DC Temple was an architect’s rendition before it was finished. And I’m not sure it had Ogden or Provo even though they were before DC. That would have left room for Kirtland and Nauvoo which I’m pretty sure were there too because I think I had to explain that the Nauvoo Temple was destroyed (now restored!!) and we no longer owned the Kirtland Temple.

I wish I had kept the flipchart, but I left it in Brazil not wanting to carry it home on the plane.

Comment by Grant — October 5, 2012 @ 8:59 am

6. I remember being show in Primary a picture of the 13 temples of the world. (I don’t know how old the picture was.) I was surprised. Since we had a temple so close in Idaho Falls, I thought there must be lots just like tabernacles. My kids can’t imagine that.

Comment by Carol — October 5, 2012 @ 9:14 am

7. I often wonder about the Endowment House. It was a temporary structure that was used until the Salt Lake Temple was completed; why not count it among the temples? It seems to have more in common with temples than the one at Kirtland. I’ve seen similar assemblages of temple pictures that include not just the Endowment House, but also the sites of planned temples at Independence and Far West.

Comment by Steve R — October 5, 2012 @ 10:07 am

8. I had that same flip chart, Grant, in Japan from 1973-75. And mine went in the trash before I came home, too.

But, it had just 16 temples, including Ogden and Provo, and an architect’s rendering of Washington, D.C. Mine did not include Kirtland or Nauvoo.

Speaking of temples, there’s a nice essay in today’s Wall Street Journal by John Turner about temples, and his recent experience attending the open house of the Brigham City temple.

Comment by Mark B. — October 5, 2012 @ 10:15 am

9. My wife and I when we were first married talked once about doing a tour of all 15 temples when we retired. I think we figured there would be a couple more by then. Retirement is still out there a few years, but I somehow don’t think we are going to make it to them all now.

Comment by kevinf — October 5, 2012 @ 11:44 am

10. I remember the Primary Sacrament Meeting in 1980 (for the Sesquicentennial) included a parade of children holding up a picture of a temple, and stating its name. (Mine was Tokyo. I thought having a temple in Asia was cool.) You wouldn’t be able to do that now.

Comment by John Taber — October 5, 2012 @ 11:56 am

11. OK, Mark B. That makes sense. I can visualize Ogden and Provo glowing (night pic for Provo?) down on the bottom by Washington DC. (I still miss the orange steeple)

Comment by Grant — October 5, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

12. I’ve still got my mission flipchart somewhere (from the mid-80s, but I think it was based on the same packet of pictures dating from the early 70s, judging from the fashion in some of the photos!). I seem to remember that page of 16 temple pictures. I’ll have to check tonight and see if I can find it.

I, too, remember as a child setting the vague goal of visiting all the temples in the world (we were at 16 when I graduated from Primary.) Not such a realistic goal anymore…

Comment by lindberg — October 5, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

13. I had the same flipchart on my mission. And like a lot of you, I set the same goal of going to all the temples in the world. It will be a lot of work just going to all the ones in the US now.

Comment by CS Eric — October 5, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

14. Interesting seeing them together like that; it’s easy to separate them into three distinct groups: (1) the chateaux/castles (St. George, Logan & Manti), (2) the spireless moderns (Cardston, Hawaii & Mesa), and (3) “the outliers” (Nauvoo, Kirtland & SLC). Thanks.

Comment by David Y. — October 6, 2012 @ 12:46 am

15. I remember the cover of my “Book of Remembrance” that had all the temples printed in a circle. This was the late 1970s, and there were only about 12, if I recall. Nauvoo and Kirtland were out, and Pres. Kimball hadn’t begun his Boise/Taiwan/Argentina series of temples with six detached steeples.

Comment by The Other Clark — October 8, 2012 @ 5:03 pm

16. My step-sister’s grandparents went to all the temples at the time on their honeymoon. Not sure exactly how many, but they went to Europe and Hawaii, I think. Now even trying to visit all of them in a lifetime would be pretty impossible. My step-sister always wanted to visit all the temples when she and he husband retired, but recently she changed that to all in Europe, and all the US temples before retirement.

Comment by Julia — October 9, 2012 @ 8:42 pm

17. like many of you, my wife and I thought we would like to try to visit all of the temples, but as they proliferated we modified that goal to trying to visit all of the temples that existed when we were married. Though that’s still several (DC was the newest, then), it’s more do-able. We’re in Indiana, and looking forward to one here, as ground was just broken for the Indianapolis temple!

Comment by brent — October 22, 2012 @ 1:12 pm