Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Provo Tabernacle / Temple, 17 August 2012

Provo Tabernacle / Temple, 17 August 2012

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 28, 2012

So I was in Provo last month, and my friend Monica, who was kind enough to let me ride with her, was also kind enough to stop at the site of the once-Tabernacle future-Temple. Mostly what you can see at street level is green construction fence. But by climbing on planters and bus benches, by holding my iPad above the fence and taking pictures blindly, and mostly by Monica’s getting us into the parking structure behind the site, I was able to snap these very bad, sun-glared, uncomposed pictures, complete in one case (well, many cases, but only one reproduced here) with a view of my hand resting conveniently over the lens.

Poor as they are, I hope they convey to distant friends of the Tabernacle at least some sense of the building’s devastation and the ongoing effort to save what little remained after the fire.

1. From one of the distant friends in TN, thank you for posting the pictures.

Comment by David R — September 28, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

2. Thanks!

Comment by Amira — September 28, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

3. Enjoyed seeing the progress.

Comment by Steve C. — September 28, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

4. Nice!

Comment by Amy T — September 28, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

5. Cool, thanks! I was in Provo last weekend, but didn’t have time to drive past and see.

Comment by lindberg — September 28, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

6. Thank you. I am far from Provo, but I have fond memories of stake conferences in that building just a few years ago.

Comment by HokieKate — September 28, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

7. Nice. Thank you.

Comment by Bruce Crow — September 28, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

8. Drove past it–well, on 2nd West–just a few minutes ago. From there it appeared as if the grim reaper had taken off the top of the building with his scythe. Thanks Ardis for posting these photos!

Comment by Mark B. — September 28, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

9. Yeah, as damaged as those “cones” are, I was so relieved that the workmen appeared to be trying to save even them, with bracing inside, and setting them carefully away from heavy equipment traffic.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 28, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

10. It took me a while to figure out why they had teepees on site! haha. This is good to see. Thanks, Ardis.

Comment by ErinAnn — September 28, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

11. Great pics, Ardis! We~ve (great. I can~t get my keyboard switched back from portuguese) Anyway, We~ve driven by the Provo Tabernacle;Temple site, but until I saw these pictures, I didn~t realize how much it looks like the restoration of a medieval castle ruin! Maybe it~s time for another PMM posting on the Knights Templar:

Comment by Grant — September 29, 2012 @ 9:06 am

12. Thanks for these. I’m glad for the restoration efforts.

Comment by Mina — September 29, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

13. I wish someone had taken pictures of YOU doing your climbing around to take your pictures. They will be priceless, I’m sure.

Comment by Maurine Ward — October 1, 2012 @ 1:09 am

14. Har! I inherited my Dad’s dizziness from heights, even from the height of a bus bench! Monica was too busy being sure I didn’t dive head-first onto the sidewalk to take pictures!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 1, 2012 @ 7:51 am

15. Cool pics. I think this is what you call a sneak peek!

Comment by David Y. — October 1, 2012 @ 9:49 am

16. Very cool pics, thanks for risking your life to get them. But Nu-Skin ads on a temple construction site fence? Really?

The Ogden Temple is undergoing a complete restoration/reconstruction, and is also surrounded by the same kind of green fencing. But they took the steeple off the adjacent tabernacle, which I objected to, to no avail.

Comment by kevinf — October 1, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

17. The Nu-Skin signs are along the boundary between the temple lot and Nu-Skin’s property, and are really only visible from Nu-Skin itself. Technically, I suppose, they are on Nu-Skin’s own property, if the fence is on the legal property line.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 1, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

18. You mean it’s not going to be called the Provo Utah Nuskin Temple?

Comment by Mark B. — October 1, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

19. Only by anti-Mormon cranks, of which I am sure there will be plenty!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 1, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

20. I’m wondering how my life will change in 90 days with Nu-Skin other than lightening my wallet and alienating all my friends.

Comment by kevinf — October 1, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

21. Sorry for the Nu-Skin threadjack, as I am actually glad to see the Tabernacle reworked as a Temple. My anticipation is that the Provo Tabernacle/Temple will be there long after the Nu-Skin property becomes a weed-filled, windblown lot that the Church will buy at a huge discount to build retirement condos.

Comment by kevinf — October 1, 2012 @ 4:37 pm