Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1920 (4)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1920 (4)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 24, 2012

And here we go again, back to 1920 for photos of Church members in many places —

Toquerville, Utah

Hoytsville, Utah, Sunday School

Hoytsville, Utah, Sunday School Teachers and Officers

Bountiful 1st Ward, Utah
Members of Deaf Sunday School Class

Melbourne, Australia
Sunday School Picnic

1. Ardis, another great collection. Is there any chance that Pinecrest was the Pinecrest development up Emigration Canyon east of Salt Lake City?

Comment by Gary Bergera — September 24, 2012 @ 9:16 am

2. Aha! It does look like a rustic setting, and since it was referred to without a stake name it’s likely the editor of the magazine where it appeared (the Juvenile Instructor) expected his readers to recognize it without further identification. You very well may have solved that, Gary, thanks!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 24, 2012 @ 10:24 am

3. I like the line of babies in Magna.

Why were there so many members of the Deaf Sunday School class in Bountiful?

Comment by HokieKate — September 24, 2012 @ 10:38 am

4. I think (don’t know; happy to be corrected) that Bountiful must have been the magnet class for deaf adults for Salt Lake and Davis counties (the deaf school for younger folks was in Ogden). The interurban railroad would have made transportation easy. Why it would have been Bountiful as opposed to any other community, I don’t know.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 24, 2012 @ 11:01 am

5. Davenport is in Iowa, but Moline and Rock Island are in Illinois–right across the Mississippi River. They are three of the “Quad Cities” which, as Wikipedia will tell you, is a group of five cities along the Mississippi River.

Why five cities are called “Quad [anything]” is probably tied to the number of consecutive ex-governors of Illinois who have been convicted of a felony.

Comment by Mark B. — September 24, 2012 @ 11:46 am

6. I always love these, Ardis. Roosevelt Dam was included in the first area I was assigned as a missionary, so I especially like that shot.

Has anyone written about the deaf Sunday School class(es)? I know nothing of them, and it seems like a fascinating research project waiting to happen!

Comment by Christopher — September 24, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

7. Anne Leahy is the only one I know who has done much with deafness (and other disabilities) in Mormon history. I don’t know how much she has done in this specific area or when her work will be published — I’ll ask next time I see her. She’s told some great stories over the library table.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 24, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

8. Thanks, Ardis!

Comment by Christopher — September 24, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

9. I think the Vermont Missionaries were part of the New England Mission which covered everything from New York to Maine.

Comment by Phil — September 24, 2012 @ 6:24 pm