Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 22 June – 4 July 1901

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 22 June – 4 July 1901

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 23, 2012

(Previous installment)

Saturday, June 22, 1901

As we were unable to preach in the chapel we concluded to visit Eulogy and sound our voice to them if agreeable with those in charge. We arose quite early. I did not get half of the sleep that I wanted. At 8 a.m. we had reached the country town and were happy to find some good news from home. We called on the trustees of the school house and they granted us the pleasure of speaking in the school house. A very nice building. By noon we had the place about canvassed. We returned to Bro. Cotton’s, as he had invited us to come back and partake dinner with him. We had a long talk with him, also shaved before leaving his place. We finished the place and at nearly night, we came to the building. There was some oil needed so I took a lamp over to the store and the merchant filled it free of charge. At 9 p.m. there was a nice crowd gathered. We commenced meeting, Elder Madsen presiding. He spoke first for a short time upon Faith, after which I spoke for some length upon Repentance and Baptism. We had a very good time, although for some reason we did not enjoy the blessings of God as usual. Bro. Barron invited us home. We slept on the gallery. Rested good as I was quite tired.

Sunday, June 23, 1901

I put in a good night’s rest though the night was too short. After partaking of a hearty breakfast and talking with the man on the gospel, we thanked them and came back to the school house, where we remained until the people came. At 10 a.m. they had their Sunday School and as soon as they were through and the people had rested for a few moments, we commenced our meeting. I presided. Elder Madsen said that he was not feeling well, so I took up all the time. My subject was the Holy Ghost and Organization. The people gave good attention and I enjoyed myself in talking. A brother invited us home to have dinner with him. At 3 p.m. we returned to the school house again to do some writing. We did not have any dinner. At 9 p.m. there was a large crowd gathered again. Elder Madsen presided and spoke first for 15 minutes upon Divine authority. I followed for 40 minutes upon the apostasy and Restoration. There was a Baptist preacher out both in the morning and night. He paid strict attention to what was being said but never said a word to us after we were through. Bro. Cotton invited us home with him. He gave us a bed that was full of bugs and they kept me a-jumping all night. It was late before I went to sleep.

Monday, June 24, 1901

The bed bugs gave me such a tussle that I was not feeling very good when I arose. After writing up our journals and getting our reports ready to post, we thanked the kind family and were on our way. Came out south of town to finish up some work that way. At noon or a while before we came to Bro. Walker’s, where we partook of a hearty dinner, after which we got into an argument on the Resurrection which lasted four hours. He claimed that there was but one more resurrection and that the wicked did not rise at all. We put him in some tight corners but he would jump and twist the word of God to suit his own notion. After we had stayed with him so long I asked for the privilege of remaining the rest of the day and washing our clothes, which was granted us. Bro. Sheppard, one of the Campbellite preachers, came over a while. I had a nice talk with him. We partook of a nice supper after which we got into another discussion and talked until 10:30 p.m. when we drew to a close and retired. Good bed.

Tuesday, June 25, 1901

It was nice and pleasant during the night. I rested fine. After breakfast, Bro. Sheppard came over. He wanted to get into an argument but was a little afraid to tackle us. I read him a chapter out of the Book of Mormon that just suited him, as he was one of those that desired the power of the Holy Ghost. As soon as I was through he said that he would have to go. We commenced our work. Noon found us with Bro. J.A. Phillips. Had a long talk and a nice dinner. After leaving his place we stopped on the creek and had a nice bath. We were through with our work in that part, so we came back to Eulogy and out to Bro. Cumming’s house, where we spent the night. I was so tired and sleepy that while Elder M. was talking, I went to sleep. Retired to bed on the floor. Rested fine.

Wednesday, June 26, 1901

Soon after breakfast we were on our way. Came to Eulogy, got our literature, and started west toward Lake Branch. It was so awful warm, so we stopped in the woods and had a good rest. Coming on, we came to Bro. Glass, a holiness preacher, but we did not find it out until after we had left his place. He gave us a nice dinner, but would not receive any literature. He said a few words that didn’t suit or that were not right and I defied him or anyone else to condemn polygamy from the Bible. I also gave him a talk that straightened him out so that he had nothing to say. We got permission to preach in the school house. Some clouds came over and it sprinkled a little. Night came on us. We asked six families before we found a place. It seemed like every man had an awful good neighbor. We stayed with Bro. Shannon. Had a nice supper, talked for some time, held prayers, and retired to rest. It was nice and cool.

Thursday, June 27, 1901

The family was all going off to Glenrose for a picnic, so we had to get up before daylight. We began our labor visiting among the people. We were so awful sleepy that we stopped under the shade of some beautiful trees and took a good nap. We came to a nice school house. I went over a short distance to see one of the trustees about preaching in it. I told him that we were representing the Latter-day Saints. He said, “Why, certainly we could preach there.” In talking, he said that he had never heard of that church before. I told him it was commonly called Mormon in this country. He then said, “If that is the case, you cannot have my consent.” I talked to him for a while and showed him that it was not right to decide before hearing both sides. We went on our way. Came to Bro. Alexander’s, where we partook of a nice dinner. After talking for a long time, we went on to Bro. Hudson’s where we had another long talk. While canvassing the community we met several people who claimed to be sanctified. They were the only ones who rejected our testimonies. We took supper with Bro. E.B. Parvin, after which we returned to the bowery and preached unto a large audience. Elder Madsen spoke first. I took the remainder of the time. Came home with Bro. Walker.

Friday, June 28,1901

We arose quite early and as we did not have any work to do, we concluded to stay with the kind family and wash our clothes if agreeable, but when we made our wants known, the kind sister said that she would wash them for us. Brother Walker was going to Walnut Springs and asked us to go with him, which we did. Found one letter at the post office from Pa. Folks well at home. We got back to our stopping place at 3 p.m. Partook of a nice dinner. The time came for us to fill our appointment. Returned to the Bowery. Elder M. presided and spoke first for a few moments. I followed for 40 minutes upon the Restoration of the Gospel. Had a good time. Returned to Bro. Walker’s and spent the night.

Saturday, June 29, 1901

It was very pleasant. I rested very good. After writing our journals, we thanked the kind family. They gave us an invitation to return at any time. We started for Walnut Springs. Did not go very far until we came to a nice shady place where we laid down and took a nap. Continuing, we came to a beautiful stream of water where we took a bath. We walked over the mountain into the Steel Creek Valley. Came to Bro. J.M. Creel’s, a primitive Baptist preacher. He began to construe things to suit himself, but it wasn’t long until we had him tangled and he laid up the Bible. He gave us our dinner and after a long talk, we went on our way. Went into Walnut Springs to get our mail but there was none for us. Started back into the country again to get entertainment. Were granted the privilege of staying with Bro. Early. Partook of a nice supper. Talked until 10 p.m. upon the gospel. They were as blind as could be. Good bed.

Sunday, June 30, 1901

The sky was nice and clear. Everything seemed pleasant. I asked for the privilege of remaining over Sunday, but they were going visiting, so we took our departure. Visited a few families. Retired to a creek of beautiful running water and under the nice shady trees we spent the day. I went to the post office. Received letter and papers from the office. We rested fine during the day, hated to leave such a nice place, but we could not live without eating so we had to get out. Came to a place we had visited. The old gentleman said that he could not keep us because he did not believe as we did. I told him I didn’t care how he believed, as we were not hunting people’s beliefs but we were hunting a place to spend the night. Were refused the next place. The third place Bro. Glasscock took us in. The kind lady only had four biscuits cooked and we did not want her to go to any bother so we made out with them, although we had had no dinner. I talked to them for some time and then we retired to rest. Good bed. Nice and cool.

Monday, July 1, 1901

I put in a good night’s rest. After partaking of a hearty breakfast, we put a shine on our shoes, wrote a letter to the President, and then started for Walnut Springs. At 9 a.m. we were busy at work. The Baptists were holding a protracted meeting, so at 11 a.m. we quit work and went to church. The little preacher preached a very good sermon for a sectarian minister. We were the only men there. After it had closed, we went to the store and bought us a lunch and retired to a beautiful spring and ate it. We then found a nice place under the trees and rested until 4 p.m. After starting out again, we visited the round house and canvassed until night. Called at the post office. My money had come, so we went to the store and I bought me a good pair of shoes for $1.75, or they were good for that money. During the day we visited many families. Night came on. We began seeking a place to tarry. Were refused a time or two. Came to Bro. Crocker. He did not want to keep us and he hated to turn us away. He made all kind of excuses and he said that he had kept two of our elders and they were as dirty and ragged as old tramps and he did not believe in men going around begging for their living. I gave him a good talk. He just told us this to get us to go. I talked so hard he finally consented to keep us. His wife prepared a nice supper and we talked until 10 p.m. when we retired. Had a good bed. The wind was blowing and it was nice and pleasant.

Tuesday, July 2, 1901

My neck was awful sore when I arose. Partook of a nice breakfast and soon after we were on our way rejoicing. Retired to the woods where we held prayers and as we did not want to carry our grips while finishing the town, we hid them in the bush all day. When we had almost got through with our work, to our surprise we met Elders Walser and Rogers who had come in to chat with us. We were glad to see them. Retired to the picnic ground by the side of a beautiful area where we spent the day together. Had a little crackers and candy for our dinner. At 5 p.m. we all walked out to our grips and stayed there until 6:30 when the time came for us to separate and find a place to tarry. With a hearty handshake, we bid each other goodby. I was feeling awful weak. Came to Bro. Hager’s, where we were granted the privilege of tarrying over night. Elder Madsen did most of the talking. Retired at 10 p.m.

Wednesday, July 3, 1901

The weather nice and clear when we arose. Before leaving we took a shave. We were desirous of preaching in the school house, so we started out to see the trustees. Were successful in getting their consent. We then went down on the Basque River and had a nice bath and changed clothes. Noon came. We partook of a hearty dinner at the Widow Nelson’s (chicken). We then as usual retired to the woods and I slept for two hours. Continuing, we visited several more families, norating our meeting. We were both feeling the need of some supper so we called at Bro. Carnel’s and I asked for some. We came back to the school house and waited until nearly 10 p.m. There was only one man and his wife came out, and I believe they were directed to come to take us home, as we don’t know where we would of gone if he hadn’t come. After arriving at his house we talked with him for some time upon the restoration of the gospel. Finally retired. Good bed. Quite warm.

Thursday, July 4, 1901

The 4th of July found me away down in Texas again. Arose from our beds quite early. Partook of a hearty breakfast (chicken). After talking with the man for a while we went over to the school house, where we stayed until 11 a.m. writing letters. Continuing, we came over the mountain to Walnut Springs. Passed by a crowd of men who had a barrel of beer, drinking it. They wanted us to drink with them. We stopped at the picnic ground and after resting for a short time I went to the store and bought a little crackers and sardines for our Fourth dinner. While sitting by the spring, there was a man came along, and on learning our business, we got into a conversation. Before he left I sold him a Book of Mormon. I bought me a shirt and we had a drink of soda water and left the town, coming north toward Eulogy. It was awful warm. We rested a couple of times. Arrived at Bro. Shepperd’s, a Campbellite preacher, about sunset. We were welcomed in. I was awful tired and my new shoes had worn a blister on my heel. Partook of a nice supper. Talked until bedtime on the gospel. Thus the 4th was spent traveling over the hot roads of Texas while the folks at home were having an enjoyable time.

(To be continued)



  1. I keep thinking of my grandfather’s mission in the Southern States when I read this diary. He was in Alabama about this same time. He did not keep a diary, but I think his missionary work was very much like this.

    Comment by Jeff Johnson — September 23, 2012 @ 10:48 pm

  2. Interesting that in Texas there was no celebration of the 4th of July. These days every small community has them. :-)

    I continue to be struck by how fast they move from place to place. Have I missed what happens if they have someone interested in converting? Also will be interesting to see how winter is the same or different.

    Comment by Julia — September 24, 2012 @ 9:42 am

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI