Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 9 June – 21 June 1901

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 9 June – 21 June 1901

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 16, 2012

(Previous installment)

Sunday, June 9, 1901

The night was spent in pleasant rest. The gentleman of the place awoke me as he was calling his son Willie. I was dreaming of home and thinking that it was Pa calling. I answered myself. After breakfast we brushed up. Put a shine on our shoes, and walked up to the church to attend the Baptist Sunday School. It was rather amusing to me to see the style that they carry on the work of God, as they call it. Quite a contrast between ours and theirs. We came back home with Bro. Morrison. Partook of a nice dinner, and during the afternoon we unfolded the mysteries of Mormonism. Our conversation ran in to the deep subjects of the gospel that he had never heard of. At night we returned to the school house to fill our appointment. The house was full. Elder Madsen spoke first for 20 minutes. I followed for some length upon the restoration of the gospel, proving from the Bible that such a thing was to be in the last days. We came home with Bro. Morrison again. Were given a good bed. Rested fine. Nice and pleasant.

Monday, June 10, 1901

We arose quite early as Bro. Morrison was expecting the thrasher and he had to rustle around to get ready. He was going to town so we got a ride. When we went to bid him goodby in the post office in front of other men, he gave us a very cold shake. He was ashamed of us before men. There will be a time when he won’t be there. I was disappointed, there being no mail from home. We started out northeast from town to work and somehow we missed all of the houses and found ourselves near Kopper. We had heard of the Greers who used to be Mormons, so we started out to find them. Found Captain Greer, a very old man. He was sick. We had a good talk and dinner with him. Would of stayed over night if there had been no sickness. We were sent over to his brother’s where we spent the evening listening to the young lady play on the piano and sing. It was quite late when we retired. Very good bed.

Tuesday, June 11, 1901

We did not wake up until Bro. Greer called us for breakfast. After partaking of a hearty meal we got ready to begin work in the little town. We did not want to carry our grips, so we concluded to leave them some place. Bro. Greer said that we could leave them at his place and come back again. At 11 a.m. we had the place canvassed. Met one old Baptist preacher and wound up with him for about 1 hour. We returned to Bro. Greer’s, where we had a nice dinner and remained with him the rest of the day. The young people sang again at night. Retired to bed quite late.

Wednesday, June 12, 1901

I had a good rest during the night. Managed to awake in time for breakfast. Bro. Greer had to go to his work, so we thanked him and were soon on our road. Went down south of Kopper to finish our work down that way. The first houses was an old crabby man. Said that he would rather hear the devil preach in his house than a Mormon. Of course the poor ignorant fellow did not know his conditions. The next place Bro. Wilson Damron, a son-in-law of Bro. L.L. Smith, asked us back for dinner. Continuing, we visited all of the families and returned to his place. His wife had been in the field all morning and did not like to ask us in on account of her house being so dirty. At 2 p.m. we left his place. Stopped in the woods where we had a nap. Went to the post office. Got our Book of Mormons. Visited several more families. Sold two Voice of Warnings. Were granted the privilege of staying over night with Bro. Oakes. Had a good conversation. Tried to sing them some songs but almost made a failure of it. Retired to bed at 9:30. Good bed. Slept fine.

Thursday, June 13, 1901

During the night I took a quilt and lay on the floor as it was so warm. Arose quite early. Partook of a hearty breakfast, after which it wasn’t long until we were on our way. Stopped in the first brush, where we thanked the Father in humble prayer and asked Him to be with us through the day. We began hunting up the trustees of the school house. They being in a scattered condition, it took considerable of walking to see them all. The last one, Bro. Whitworth, had gone to town with a load of grain. We waited at his home until nearly night and he did not come, so we left, telling the kind sister that we would call again in the morning and see him. We visited a few houses. At night we came to a large plantation. Two men were keeping batch and running the place. We were granted the privilege of remaining with them. Slept on the floor. Rested very good, although the bed was hard. Talked some on the gospel.

Friday, June 14, 1901

After having a good night’s rest and a nice breakfast, we were soon on our way rejoicing. While going through a pasture, we found a small terrapin. We took it down to the water, cut off its head, and cleaned it out of the shell good. I wanted to send it home as it was very pretty. We then walked over to see Mr. Whitworth about preaching in the school house. He said, “No, sir, you can’t preach here. We don’t want any of your doctrine in this community.” He began vilifying our people. By this time I was a little woke up. I gave it to him in good shape for a few moments and bore him my testimony and warned him that some day he would be sorry the way he was doing. He says “go on with your G.D. testimony.” We left him somewhat disappointed. Stopped at the widow White’s, where we partook of a nice dinner. She had lost her husband just a while before and felt awful bad. Continuing, we stopped in the school house and slept for two hours. The sun was coming down awful hot. At night we came to Bro. James’s, where we were taken in. Had a nice supper and a good conversation, and a good bed.

Saturday, June 15, 1901

We were blessed with a kind family to stay with and, before leaving his place, I asked for the privilege of washing our clothes, which was granted. By 10:30 they were dry. We packed our grips and went on our way rejoicing. The gentleman stayed around the house all the time we were there. I suppose he was afraid that we would run off with his wife. At noon we partook dinner with Mrs. Hammond, her husband not being at home. The next place, a big fine palace, I approached the rich fellow. His answer was to get out of here. “I know all about that I want to know.” After finishing all of the work in the community, we stopped on the creek and had a good bath. Continuing, we went to Kopper after our mail but were disappointed. We called on Captain Greer for a few moments. They were sick. It was getting time to seek a place of entertainment. Stayed with Bro. Waller. Nice supper. Good bed.

Sunday, June 16, 1901

It being the Sabbath, we concluded to fast. About 9 a.m. we thanked the kind family and came over to the post office. One letter from Pa. All well at home. We then walked over to the Methodist Church and listened to the preacher splatter for a while and he certainly did it. Many of his assertions he could not prove from the Bible. We had met Bro. Greer while at the post office and he invited us to his house to spend the remainder of the day. We partook of a nice dinner and spent the day in conversing upon different subjects. It was awful warm and could hardly get a breath. Retired to bed quite early. Could not sleep for the chiggers and heat.

Monday, June 17, 1901

It was so warm during the night that I rolled all over the room trying to find a place where there was a little draft. At 8 a.m. we walked uptown. Went to the barber shop and got our hair cut. The barber gave us a shave free gratis as we were ministers and do free work. We met Parson Richardson on the street and had a nice talk with him. When we returned to Bro. Greer’s, he was there. We talked to him some time upon the gospel. Though he was a minister he opened not his head. We sang them a few songs which he thought were grand. Partook of a nice dinner. At 1:30 we bid them goodby and were on our road. It was so awful warm that we could not stand to travel so we stopped in the shade of a nice tree. I was so restless that I could not sleep, read, or do anything else. Continuing, we came to Kimball and began inquiring about the school house. At night we were refused several times. Stayed with Bro. Cleveland. Had a good conversation. Retired to bed at 8:30 p.m. Good bed on the floor.

Tuesday, June 18, 1901

It was very warm when we arose. We first called on the trustees and were granted the privilege of preaching in the school house. After visiting several families, we went down on a beautiful stream of water and had a good bath and changed our clothes. We remained in the nice shade until after 11 a.m. when we came back to finish our work in the little town. We partook of a nice dinner at Bro. Bailey’s. While talking with him, the womenfolks were throwing our little pamphlet back and forth making light of us. Continuing we visited all of the families. Stopped in the shade of a nice tree and rested for a good while. The time came for preaching. There was no one came out. We waited at the school house until after 9. So we started out to find a place to tarry. Called on two families but they could not keep us. We came back to Bro. Cleveland, where we were welcomed in. Talked for quite a while and then retired. It was so warm I took a quilt and got down in front of the door and slept fine.

Wednesday, June 19, 1901

It was quite late when I arose. The night was pleasant. I rested fine. Soon after breakfast we were on our way. The family, learning that we had to go without our supper, wanted to fix some crackers for our dinner, but we said no. We started for Kimball. It was awful warm and sandy. We stopped under the beautiful trees and took a nap about 11 a.m. We started out to get something to eat. Were invited in to Bro. Hudson’s where we had a good conversation and a nice dinner. Continuing, we visited a few more families and then stopped in the shade again where we studied for a while, but were soon asleep. Night came on. We began asking for a place to tarry. Were refused two or three times. The last house in the community, Bro. Ogden, he was not at home. The lady thought that he might be home but was not certain. We made our wants known. She said that we could stay. It was almost dark and we had asked several places, so we concluded to stay as the lady insisted on us. It was the first time I had stayed where the man was away but circumstances were such that we had it to do. Partook of a nice supper. Had a good talk. Retired to bed. It was a long time before I could go to sleep.

Thursday, June 209,l 1901

It was quite late when we arose. Had a chat with the old lady. After breakfast we were soon on our road. Stopped in the school house for a short time while we had prayers. Continuing, we had quite a long walk between any houses. Dinner time found us with Bro. John P. Strawn, where we partook of a nice dinner and had a talk on the gospel. After leaving his place, we stopped in the woods where we tried to read and sleep but it was so warm that we couldn’t do either. At 4 p.m. we started out again. The first house we met an old man. He would not have a pamphlet at first, but after I had talked to him for a few moments he took it and also asked us in to rest for a while. I talked to him on the gospel all the time while there, and when we got ready to start he said that he would ask us to stay overnight but did not have the room. A little talking made quite a change in him. We visited several more families. Came to Bro. Blair’s, where we were permitted to stay over night. Did not talk much on the gospel as his mind was on something else all the time. They had a nice flowing well out by the lot so before I retired, I stripped off and had a nice bath. Washed away all of the red bugs and slept fine. Quite cool.

Friday, June 21, 1901

I put in a good night’s rest and arose quite early as the gentleman wanted to work while it was cool. Soon after breakfast, we were on our way rejoicing. They asked us to visit them again as they appreciated our company. The houses were a long ways apart. After passing through a large pasture for two miles, we came to a school community. We started out to see the trustees to gain permission to preach in the school house. After seeing one and had walked around considerable to see the other, we were informed that a Baptist minister had out appointments for Saturday night and Sunday so we were disappointed again. We continued canvassing the houses. Were invited to dine with Bro. Crow. After dinner we talked for some time and then made our way to the school where we rested out of the hot sun until after 4 p.m. We finished canvassing the community. Were granted the privilege of spending the night with Bro. Sanders. Had a very interesting conversation on the gospel after supper. I brought forth several ideas that were new to them and which they disputed until they read it from their own Bibles and found that it was just as I had said. We held prayers and retired. Very warm and I could not go to sleep for scratching.

(To be continued)



  1. ” It was the first time I had stayed where the man was away but circumstances were such that we had it to do.”

    Long before the white handbook.

    Comment by J. Stapley — September 16, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

  2. It is interesting that they don’t seem to stay in any place long enough to teach people, even when they are asked to stay, to bring anyone to the point of baptism. Were the missionaries expected to find converts? If they did baptize someone, what was expected of those converts after baptism?

    Comment by Julia — September 17, 2012 @ 9:44 am

  3. Julia, they were on their own, unless there were other members nearby to meet with. They were encouraged to subscribe to the Liahona and other Church publications, and the missionaries would call on them the next time they came through (we’ve seen Elder Jones call on members a very few times earlier in his journal), but mostly they were on their own.

    We’ve had a few stories about missionaries calling on people who had been baptized years earlier but hadn’t ever seen or heard from a Mormon since then, yet they considered themselves LDS and so did the missionaries. At exactly the same time Elder Jones is writing, my own family were isolated members like this in Alabama. They held a home Sunday School part of the time, and they always welcomed and took care of the missionaries who passed through, but they had no day-to-day Mormon communal life like members in the Mormon West had.

    Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 17, 2012 @ 10:22 am

  4. Ardis-
    How interesting. Are there posts from their journals or writings? Did they go to the temple to be sealed? I assume that some of the family eventually made it to Utah (since you are there) and married members there? Do you know how they related to their neighbors? Did all of the children marry members? Did they all stay in the church?

    Feel free to send me off to the right posts. 🙂

    Comment by Julia — September 17, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI