Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Whole Year Through: BYU Advertising, 1954

The Whole Year Through: BYU Advertising, 1954

August

September

October

November

W

December

1. 1954 – The year my mom started as a BYU Freshman! My dad was a year ahead of her. He graduated in ’57 (then I was born.)

Comment by Grant — September 7, 2012 @ 8:53 am

2. When did BYU switch from quarters to semesters and terms? And where is the auditorium in the last picture?

Comment by HokieKate — September 7, 2012 @ 10:02 am

3. That’s the Smith Field House. I don’t know when the quarter/semester switch happened.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 7, 2012 @ 10:04 am

4. What is pictured in the fourth picture down in September? I can make out the McKay Building (because an earlier ad identified it), a Heritage Halls building, the original Eyring Science center, the original Joseph Smith Building (#5) and the Maeser Building (#6), but what’s #4?

Comment by Paul — September 7, 2012 @ 10:09 am

5. Dunno. It looks like an athletic track in front of it, if that gives anybody a clue.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 7, 2012 @ 10:19 am

6. I think it is the Smith Field House looking toward the southwest, from on the hill above the old stadium, or perhaps from the stadium seats. You can see the smokestacks from the power plant in the distance.

Comment by Julie — September 7, 2012 @ 11:18 am

7. That is the Smith Fieldhouse, from the northeast.

The old football stadium was just north of the Fieldhouse–where the Richards P.E. Building is now, and I suspect, although I don’t remember, that there was a track around the field.

The new stadium opened in 1964, but the stairs and risers remained there for years, for people who wanted to run up and down stairs for exercise–lunatics all. The collection of ticket offices and other buildings at the top of the hill had a brief life as the Stadium Office Building, until someone realized that the initials might cause offense. Besides, for at least a few members of the faculty–one I know for certain–those initials were reserved for the Abraham O. Smoot Administration Building–aka the Smoot Office Building.

Comment by Mark B. — September 7, 2012 @ 11:18 am

8. That collection of buildings at the top of the hill above the PE building included restrooms, later converted to faculty offices, that were still called “Flushing Heights” when I was there.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 7, 2012 @ 11:24 am

9. I wonder if I can still get the free catalog for audio visual materials from November. I would love to show some 16mm films and try out 2″x2″ glass slides.

The font change in June is positively liberal!

If I heard someone use the arguments from the December ad to encourage attendance at BYU, I would be disturbed for days.

Comment by Lonn L — September 7, 2012 @ 10:57 pm