Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1923 (3)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1923 (3)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - August 31, 2012

Mormon gatherings of 1923 –

Quarterly Conference, Star Valley, Wyoming . . .

Primary of Kalopa, Hawaii

LDS University Band
Boys’ Week Parade, 28 April 1923

Hamburg, Germany

Primary of Gilbert, Arizona

Basalt, Idaho
Primary Boys in Indian Costume

Forest Dale Ward (Salt Lake City)

Vallejo, California

Bennion, Utah
Scout Band

East Seattle, Washington Branch

Primary of Imbler, Oregon

Primary of Burley, Idaho

Cedar West Ward (Parowan, Utah)
Primary Hike

Huntley, New Zealand

1. Oh thank you Ardis! You made my day when you put Star Valley’s tabernacle up first!

Allison in Atlanta (but originally from the “star of all valleys”)

Comment by Allison in Atlanta — August 31, 2012 @ 8:57 am

2. That image, Allison, looks like something from “Little Tabernacle on the Prairie.” To me it indicates the importance of worship to those who built such a large and permanent building before the area’s population and general state of development would lead you to expect.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 31, 2012 @ 9:18 am

3. What an enormous membership Forest Dale Ward had! However did they all fit into that building at the same time for sacrament meeting? Or is it a Tardis-like meetinghouse: bigger on the inside than it is on the outside?

Comment by Alison — August 31, 2012 @ 9:36 am

4. My new word today: Natatorium. I didn’t even know that we have one nearby. I’ve even been inside it. It’s an indoor swimming pool.

Comment by Carol — August 31, 2012 @ 9:38 am

5. Yes, I was very pleased to see the wonderful Forest Dale Ward photo. It’s very likely my paternal grandparents are in the photo — they both grew up in that Ward and were 5-10 years old at the time of the photo. It’s a gorgeous chapel (with a dome!) with a scandalous history (see here). Thanks for making my day!

Comment by David Y. — August 31, 2012 @ 9:48 am

6. Well, Star Valley’s getting a Temple now. “Good fishing there.”

Comment by Grant — August 31, 2012 @ 9:50 am

7. And the word “Natatorium” is appearing underneath the chipping stucco on the former Utah Children’s Museum on Beck Street in Salt Lake City. I’m assuming (though I’m sure Ardis knows all about this) that it was formerly a swimming facility at the warm springs.

Comment by Grant — August 31, 2012 @ 9:52 am

8. These image round-ups are nearly my favorite kind of posts, Ardis. (My favorite would likely be the wonderful domestic fiction you’ve mined from LDS periodicals.) These images are so rich with details that I have to discipline myself not to get lost in them for half a day. But, when I successfully move on, I’m left with a trace of regret…

Comment by Mina — August 31, 2012 @ 10:45 am

9. I’m so glad so many of you like these images posts, and sometimes find personal connections. An image from our past tells us something that no number of words can.

Thanks for the links, David — I hadn’t heard the story connected with the Forest Dale chapel until MHA was held in Salt Lake a few years ago; the pre-conference tour included stops at some of the early chapels with significant architecture, including this one.

And now we all have the word “natatorium” added to our vocabulary. A profitable day all around!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 31, 2012 @ 11:18 am

10. Loved these pictures. At least two of them have a personal connection. Can you forward me a copy of the Burley, Idaho primary? I’m sure that some of my wife’s aunts are likely in that picture (these would be the ones that were children in the 1914 wagon train from Canada).

Also, I suspect that the East Seattle Branch photo included as young folks some of the elderly members we met when we first moved here to the Puget Sound area 19 years ago.

Comment by kevinf — August 31, 2012 @ 11:28 am

11. What does the sign in the Vallejo picture say at the bottom?

Everybody Welcome
    No ________(?)

Comment by JonB — August 31, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

12. JonB, I’m guessing it says “No collections.”

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 31, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

13. Nice to see the Oregon picture.

I wonder how it worked to have an odd number of female missionaries in Minnesota…..

Julia
    poetrysansonion.blogspot.com

Comment by Julia — August 31, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

14. In my mission that was called a “dritt” (a derivative of the word “three” in German) and I served in one just over a month due to a difficulty with arrivals and departures.

The other two sisters were from Germany. We worked together normally, sometimes did splits with members, tracted, street contacted, and worked with active and inactive members. That was one of the best times on my mission, partly due to working with those talented, interesting women and becoming fully immersed in the German language, and partly from working together in the amazing and cosmopolitan city of Köln (Cologne).

I can imagine that a personality mismatch might make a “dritt” a difficult experience, but a standard companionship has plenty of potential for friction as well. (And plenty of potential for life-long friendships.)

Comment by Amy T — August 31, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

15. Missionaries in New South Wales,Australia bottom row, on the right, elder with the curly hair is none other then future Apostle and First Presidency member, Marion G. Romney

I am such a nerd I know, I know!

Comment by Cameron — August 31, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

16. Keep it up, Ner– , er, I mean, Cameron! :)

I was in a threesome, too, for a month (we didn’t have a franglais name for it in Switzerland). Also, if sisters were assigned to the mission home primarily as secretaries, as many of them were in the first part of the 20th century, they may not have had assigned companionships. The insistence on always being with an assigned companion wasn’t necessarily part of the experience of our grandparents’ generation.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 31, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

17. I was wondering about that. After reading the Without Purse or Script series, it seemed that they were not that concerneed about some time spent apart. It seems that being in a companionship was good so you weren’t all on your own, but being constantly together wasn’t really a consideration.

Comment by Julia — August 31, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

18. I was waiting for Cameron’s post.

Comment by Carol — August 31, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

19. I am sure my mother and grandmother are at the pool side in the Sevier Stake Mothers and Daughters photograph. Mother always called that swimming pool in Richfield a “natatorium,” which I thought was just another name for a swimming pool. I am sure that is the same place where in the 1950s I took swimming lessons.

Comment by Jeff Johnson — August 31, 2012 @ 11:40 pm