Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Home Preparedness Means Home-Produced Sugar. Of Course.

Home Preparedness Means Home-Produced Sugar. Of Course.

By: Ardis E. Parshall - June 27, 2012

Nothing funny, particularly, but another entry in our collection of sugar advertising. From 1941 —

1. So is “Home-Produced Sugar” a particularly implausible brand name, a general term for sugar produced locally, or literally sugar produced in the houswife’s own home? I’m thinking one of the latter two, but I’m not sure which.

Comment by Vader — June 27, 2012 @ 11:40 am

2. Ah, never mind. Didn’t read the last sentence carefully. Apparently it means locally-grown sugar.

Comment by Vader — June 27, 2012 @ 11:41 am

3. Yup. Mormon Corridor sugar, produced from beets grown by Mormon farmers and processed in Mormon-owned plants.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 27, 2012 @ 11:54 am

4. At least it avoids the whole U&I/White Satin issue.

Comment by Grant — June 27, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

5. True dat.

(I’m afraid I offended you, Grant, and maybe some others with ties to White Satin. It was unintentional — I only meant to joke about how unexpected it was to see another company advertising in a place that had only ever carried U&I ads. Sorry.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 27, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

6. No problem, Ardis. I’m not offended. I was only sticking up for my beet-farming cousins. And they don’t even like me that much because of my politics. And I keep trying to convince my wife not to by C&H, but it does no good. So I’ve basically lost the sugar wars on numerous fronts.

Comment by Grant — June 27, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

7. Well, as long as they keep serving you cake, or whatever your weakness is, you’ve got the best end of the sugar deal anyway.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 27, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

8. My Mom grew up on beet farms in North Dakota and Montana. They seemed to be in every meal in our home. I grew to hate beets. While I do eat sugar, if I think about it coming from beets, I almost want to hurl.

YUCK!!!!

In my house, I allow sugar. Never beets.

Comment by Rameumptom — June 27, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

9. Mmm mm! I know what I’m having for supper tonight:

HARVARD BEETS

Drain, reserving liquid, contents of one 15-oz. can of diced beets.

Mix together in saucepan:

2 tblsp. sugar
    1 tblsp. cornstarch
    1/2 tsp. salt
    few grains pepper

Stir in:

3/4 cup reserved beet liquid
    3 tblsp. vinegar

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add beets and 2 tblsp. butter or margarine. Again bring to a boil, stirring gently and constantly. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 27, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

10. You need to moderate the comments better, Ardis.

Oh, wait, that was your own comment …

Darn.

:p

Comment by Vader — June 27, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

11. :p

Life would be sweeter if you sucked on a sugar cube. Look at the Recent Comments box — there are plenty of sugar cubes there at the moment.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 27, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

12. It’s just that I loathe beets so much.

Comment by Vader — June 27, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

13. Though it’s true a lot of folks tell me I look like I got sucking on a lemon, and my face froze that way.

Comment by Vader — June 27, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

14. Just think how much more pleasure I get out of life, liking beets, than you get out of loathing them.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 27, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

15. Touche.

Comment by Vader — June 27, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

16. I don’t think we’re thinking about the same beets, here.

Comment by Coffinberry — June 27, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

17. Well, no, but RAMEUMPTOM STARTED IT!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 27, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

18. Now you’ve got me wondering if the sugar I bought today to make raspberry jam is made from beets. Never thought of that before. There is a sugar beet processing plant about 30 miles down the road from where I live…

Comment by mahana — June 28, 2012 @ 12:52 pm