Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 11 January – 25 January 1901

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 11 January – 25 January 1901

By: Ardis E. Parshall - June 24, 2012

(Previous installment)

Friday, January 11, 1901

It had rained some during the night and was all a-freezing when we got up, so I asked Mr. Hair if we could remain with them until it got warmer. We sat and talked on different subjects until noon when we had a nice dinner. The sun came out so we started on our labor although it was muddy. Visited several families, sold one little book. At night we came to one of the members of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of L.D.S. We got the privilege of staying with them over night. After supper his father came over. They were both preachers. They did not believe that Joseph Smith had ever received the revelation on plural marriage and if he did he was a false prophet. We had it on authority. We did not have any of our books to prove to them of the authority of Brigham Young. We talked until 12 o’clock when we retired.

Saturday, January 12, 1901

I rested fine, was late when we got up. Had a talk upon the gospel. At 9 a.m. we commenced our labor among the people. Stopped in the woods & had prayers. While talking we got into an argument on the authority being equal of the first presidency and the apostles. Elder Rogers said that J.M. Grant and another one had never been ordained to an apostle yet he held the same authority. We went on to a Mr. Brown’s where we had a nice conversation and our dinner, after which we continued our work. Several houses that we would go to would say “we don’t want anything to do with you but go right over there and there are some of your members.” We had to explain the difference between us and them (Reorganized). At night stayed with Mr. W.H. Harlan who treated us fine and asked a good many questions, which I answered.

Sunday, January 13, 1901

After breakfast we wrote in our journals and talked to the man some on the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. At 10 a.m. we bid them goodby. Coming up to the store we bought us some envelopes. We then went back and attended the Baptist Sunday School and preaching. While the school was going on, they were scattering all over the house. Some were talking, some were looking around the house while a few were in their classes. On the outside was a crowd of men discussing foreign missionary work. It was nothing but confusion. The preaching commenced at 25 to 11 a.m. The preacher was quite old. His preaching all the way through was believe on the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved. After it was over we came up 2 miles to the school house where we remained the rest of the day writing letters home. Had a shave, held prayers, and started out to find a place to tarry over night. We canvassed several houses; came to Mr. Dunnaman and got permission of him to preach in the school house. Went on to Mr. Woodland where we stayed over night. Did not talk much on the gospel as I felt drowsy. Retired at 8 p.m.

Monday, January 14, 1901

As we had to go to Stranger for our mail we started as soon as possible. Our tracts were there, also some papers from Pres. Duffin for us to sign in order to receive a clergy permit. Visited a number of homes. Asked for entertainment at Mr. Joe Woodland’s. Retired to rest at 9 p.m. Had a big fine bed.

Tuesday, January 15, 1901

We started out to see Mr. Chamberlain, another trustee, who said that he couldn’t give us any right to preach in the school house so we did not go any further with it. Got into several houses where we had nice talks, sold 3 books. Partook of a nice dinner at Mr. Butler’s. Stayed at Mr. Keller’s at night. Washed my feet good.

Wednesday, January 16, 1901

Pursued our work at 8 a.m. During the day we sold 3 books. Went out into the woods once and sewed my pants up, that I tore on a wire. Held prayers and went on. At noon we came to another Reorganized Latter-day Saints home. The lady insisted on us staying; stopped until after dinner. They gave us a hearty welcome to return at any time. Went into Reagan and got our mail. Got entertainment at Mr. Walker’s place and after supper got into his buggy and attended a Methodist prayer meeting. The preacher, Mr. Collins, read a chapter and then commented on it. All had a turn praying, while the rest would be saying amen, Lord grant it, and groaning like a herd of swine, nothing but confusion yet they claimed they were serving God.

Thursday, January 17, 1901

It was clear as a [illegible] when we got up. Went into the little town of Reagan to see the trustees for the school house. One objected so we were unable to hold any meeting. Went to the colored family where we had left our clothes the day before to get them washed. Gave her a Voice of Warning and 10c for doing the work. After finishing our work in Reagan we started north up the railroad tracks. Saw Pres. Hunsaker and Elder Randall coming. We were indeed glad to see them. After talking for a short time, we separated, Pres. Hunsaker and myself going one way and Elder Randall and Rogers the other. We reached Mr. Sikes’, a Josephite Latter-day Saint, at 8:30 and were welcomed in.

Friday, January 18, 1901

After breakfast Pres. Hunsaker shaved me, after which we started down the railroad to the little Brazos, where we stopped and waited until the other elders came. We stayed there until 3 p.m. when we appointed a place to meet Monday and separated, Pres. H. and myself came on the right of the railroad and the other two on the left. We came to the McCaleb school house and got permission from the trustees to preach in it Sunday at 11 a.m. Stayed with Mr. Canarjan and had a nice supper.

Saturday, January 19, 1901

At 8 a.m. we commenced our labors, visiting among the people announcing our meeting. There were not many families who could speak our language as a good many Polanders had moved in and the Americans had moved out. Stopped in the school house where we had prayers and sewed the lining in our coats. Continuing, we came to Mr. Easley. His wife invited us in to have dinner, after which we went to a tank where we had a bath. It was quite cold. Found entertainment at Mr. Scarborough’s, who had taken care of a pair of elders in the southern part of the state. Had a good cow.

Sunday, January 20, 1901

At 10 a.m. we bid the family goodby and walked over to the school house to fill our appointment. There was only one man (the school teacher) and two boys that came out and so we did not preach, but we talked with him for one hour and a half upon the gospel. He asked us home to take dinner but as we had some writing to do to our loved ones, we concluded to remain in the school house until night. He gave us an invitation to come and spend the night with him. We spent the day very pleasant by writing, reading, and singing. We had prayers and went over where we had been invited. Had a good supper after which Pres. Hunsaker asked me to give them a gospel conversation which I did. Retired at 9 p.m. Good bed.

Monday, January 21, 1901

Sold a Voice of Warning to the professor, after which we walked out to the place we had appointed to meet Elders Randall and Rogers. We talked together until nearly 11 a.m. It was with sorrow that we bid goodby to our beloved companions. Elder Rogers and myself came back to Reagan to get our mail. Received mail from home, all quite well. We bought 10c worth of apples and came down the railroad and stopped and ate them. Came on to Mr. Sikes’ where we stopped for the night. I got permission to w ash our clothes. We soon rubbed them out after which Elder Rogers cut my hair off for me.

Tuesday, January 22, 1901

Our clothes had not dried but we packed them up anyway and started on our way rejoicing. Our first work was among the Polanders. At noon we met a negro preacher. I sold him a blue book and then asked him for some sweet potatoes for our dinner as we had not had any. He gave us four big fellows. We went into the woods and made a fire and roasted them, also dried our clothing. Stayed over night with a Polander. Had a nice supper of cold light bread, butter, syrup, and milk. They had some curious ways. Before they started to eat and after they were through they would fold their hands, murmur something, and make a cross over their breast. Before they went to bed each one of them knelt down in turn before the picture of Mary with Jesus in her arms. They worshipped Mary instead of Jesus. They gave us a bed which was made up of a corn shuck tick under us and a feather tick for cover. It was so warm that I like to roasted. Did not sleep much.

Wednesday, January 23, 1901

The family all went through the same performance with their prayers at breakfast. We started on our way at 8 a.m. Stopped in the woods where we had prayers. Came to the school house and had the teacher announce our meeting among the scholars. We then visited all the families in the community. They did not seem to care much for our faith; they were indifferent. As we were passing one of the trustees, Mr. Gibbs, he came out in the road and told us that the people, or the deacons, of the church had met together and concluded that we could not preach any more after tonight. He said they were afraid of being torn up. Well, I told him in plain words that if they were not firm they ought to be torn up. I talked to him for about 20 minutes on the restoration of the gospel. We did not have any dinner. Went out into the woods where we studied until 5 p.m. when we came to the school house and waited until half past 7 when there were about 17 persons came in. We preached to them. Elder Rogers took up 15 minutes and I occupied 40 minutes and bore my testimony to them as that was our last night. After meeting we were invited home with Mr. Ayers. His wife fixed us a nice supper.

Thursday, January 24, 1901

I rested fine during the night. After having a shave we thanked them and started on our way rejoicing. They asked us to remain over the day with them but it was such a pretty, fair day we couldn’t accept the invitation, as the harvest is great and the laborers are few. Went on into the next community, Mustang Prairie, and sold 3 Voice of Warnings. Found out who the trustees were and went to see Mr. Davidson, the first one. It was agreeable with him. He gave us a nice dinner, after which we went to see the other two. It was all agreeable with them. My mind was lit up and I felt to rejoice that we could have the privilege of preaching to the people again. But on arriving back to the school house to have it given out among the school, the teacher objected. He said that he could not give over the keys until the trustees said so and that they had an agreement that nothing should be carried on while he was teaching. My desires then were blighted. We retired to the woods. I wrote a letter to my sister Annie. It was getting late so we started out to get entertainment. Were refused 5 times, nearly all of them being on account of sickness as there was an awful lot of it in the community. Got into Mr. Goodman’s where we had a nice talk until 9 p.m. Held prayers; I was mouth, retired to rest.

Friday, January 25, 1901

We had a little talk with the man and I sold him a Voice of Warning, after which we started on our way. He desired to hear us preach but as we had not been granted any place, we had to go. Stopped in the woods where I wrote a note to Pres. Duffin and ordered some tracts to come to Marlin as we were nearly through with the country. We then commenced our labor, visiting the families. At noon we came to a section house on the railroad. The boss of the place had been to Salt Lake City and thought it a very beautiful place. I sold him the last book we had. He also asked us to come in and have dinner, which we did. Stopped again in the woods where we studied for a while. Began asking for entertainment. One young man was keeping batch. We could have stayed there but I did not like to impose upon him. Went on; were refused three times after that. One man, Mr. Loyd, said he could not keep us. I offered him a tract but he said, “No, I don’t believe in that Joe Smith finding those plates. That was all false.” I bore him my testimony. He was getting wild and said “Go on, I don’t want anything to do with you.” It was quite a while after dark so we wandered through a field of cotton stalks to a Mr. Hearne who took us in and gave us a nice supper and a fine bed. Had a long talk upon the gospel with him. Held prayers and retired at 9:30 p.m.

(To be continued)



  1. Huh. I thought Grant was ordained an apostle.

    Comment by J. Stapley — June 24, 2012 @ 10:42 am

  2. He was ordained an apostle, but called from the Seventy directly into the First Presidency (1854), without ever being a member of the Quorum of the Twelve.

    Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 24, 2012 @ 11:02 am

  3. Interesting he mentions the bed so many times. A few months ago (I don’t remember which blog, here maybe? maybe not) there was a discussion on missionaries having to share a bed – he always mentions one bed but never says whether he had to share it or not. I don’t know that it would have been likely to have two spare beds.

    Comment by Dustin — June 25, 2012 @ 7:34 am

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI