Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Guest Post: George Albert Smith Verifies the End of Time

Guest Post: George Albert Smith Verifies the End of Time

By: Reed Russell - June 22, 2012

From the Improvement Era, September 1946:

1. Awesome.

Comment by David T — June 22, 2012 @ 9:40 am

2. I guess now we know why the George Albert Smith manual was saved for 2012 :)

Comment by Dustin — June 22, 2012 @ 9:52 am

3. Have you seen this cartoon? Ha.

Comment by Michelle Glauser — June 22, 2012 @ 10:04 am

4. Nope, hadn’t seen it. Valuable contribution to this important topic. *snicker*

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 22, 2012 @ 10:22 am

5. Whoa. What are the chances that the Improvement Era staff had any idea that this cover would be greeted with anything other than serious consideration??

Comment by Amy T — June 22, 2012 @ 10:40 am

6. Answer: Zilch!

(The cover is connected with a serious article in the issue, along with a description of the cover image, and is available at Internet Archive — the link is for the specific issue, not merely the Archive as a whole — for anyone to read easily.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 22, 2012 @ 10:43 am

7. thanks for the link, Ardis. I was scanning through (fascinating!) and was amazed to see, in the news pages, a list of excommunicants. wow. And they say we shun now???

Comment by Coffinberry — June 22, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

8. Supernal!

Comment by kevinf — June 22, 2012 @ 1:40 pm

9. I enjoyed reading through that issue of the Improvement Era. Thanks for providing the link.

Comment by David Y. — June 22, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

10. Actually GAS is looking at an Aztec calendar rather than a Mayan calendar.

I think this picture was taken when GAS went to Mexico City to meet with the Third Convention dissident group. GAS was the key to bringing back most of the third convention group back into the church.

This is the only case I am aware of in which a large dissident(I don’t want to use the term apostate) group was brought back into the Church as a group.

I think that says a lot for GAS and his powers of gentle persuasion.

Comment by john willis — June 22, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

11. We should be great “eschatologists” since we are “Latter-Day Saints” :)

As for the “end of time”, try Googling that and see how many times that prediction has come and gone in just the 200 years (let alone 2000 years.) It seems to be predicted more often since the Restoration of the full gospel and the priesthood.

Not to threadjack, but to me one of the signs is the growing calamities (spiritual as well as physical.) I truly enjoyed this issue of the Improvement Era and especially the article starting on page “577″ about Joseph Smith being honest in business vis-a-vis the Kirtland Anti-Banking Safety Society. As a mortgage banker, it is eerie how similar the current financial crisis seems and without Federal intervention, far more banks would have failed. (I worked for 2 in a row that were seized by the FDIC.) With Europe on the ropes with their banks, I am a little nervous checking the financial sites every morning.

This will be good material when covering the Doctrine and Covenants and Church history next year in Gospel Doctrine.

Allison