Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 1 January – 10 January 1901

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 1 January – 10 January 1901

By: Ardis E. Parshall - June 17, 2012

(Previous installment)

Tuesday, January 1, 1901

When we arose the weather had not moderated any; the new year came in a-roaring. We left at 9 a.m. Stopped in the school house and had prayers and went on. The wind was blowing so hard that we could not keep warm on the prairie so we started for the timber where it would be a little warmer. Visited a good many families. Were invited in a time or two and gave them a good conversation. I hated to leave the warm fire. Came to McClanahan where I found some mail from home. Folks all well. Stayed there for a while. Started out south to work. Began to ask for entertainment before sundown. Refused 5 times. Got into one place and were told that we could stay but after talking for a while they told us again that they could not have us stay. Came to a Mr. Cown’s a while after dark. They were eating supper and the kind lady gave us something to eat but they were so crowded that she couldn’t keep us over night. We kept on going, wind very cold. At 8 o’clock we came to a place that we had been to. They were just going to bed and I told them if it was possible for them to take us in, we would be very grateful to them for it. This man was Mr. Hammer. He gave us a good bed. After retiring I started to cough and it was a long time before I got to sleep.

Wednesday, January 2, 1900

I had a good night’s rest although I got cold a time or two. After breakfast we thanked the family and took our departure. Visited some Polanders that could not read our literature. We were invited in to nearly all of the American families to warm and, while sitting there with them, would give them a talk on the gospel. Sold two Voice of Warnings, one to a nigger and one to a white man. We were invited into a place about noon and stayed with them until after dinner. I guess they thought we were not going to leave. Went into the woods and had prayers and blacked our shoes. Came to the next man and he jumped on to the old stories of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, but I corrected him on all. The next place was an old couple. The old man had been crippled, was knocked over by a calf and had been in bed for 7 weeks with no one to help them. The old lady’s three children had all married off and because they had grown old by struggling so hard through life, the children had deserted them and would not have them on their place. The old lady was crying while talking and I felt sorry for the poor old folks. We went on to a Mr. W. Arrington, where we got entertainment for the night. Had a good conversation, held prayers, and retired at 9 o’clock.

Thursday, January 3, 1901

The weather was not quite as cold but still very cloudy. After a good breakfast we had a shave and commenced our labor. Stopped in the woods where we held prayers, then walked on into the Gradie District. Went and saw the trustees first and got permission to preach in the schoolhouse. Visited a good many families. Sold 3 little books. Came to Mr. Bryan’s at 1 p.m. and offered the man a tract but he would not take it. The lady spoke up and said that she wanted it. She fixed us a nice dinner, after which we pursued our work, announcing our meeting. At half past four we returned to the school house where we studied until the people came. At 7:25 we commenced our meeting. I presided. Elder Rogers spoke 15 minutes and then I spoke for 45. When I arose I started to talk too fast and it bothered me some, but we did very well. We appointed a meeting for the next night. We were invited home with Mr. Sewell. Had supper with him and he kept us up until 11 o’clock asking questions.

Friday, January 4, 1901

Had a good rest. It was 8 a.m. before we got up. The slats fell through and when we got up we were both lying in a hole. At 9 o’clock we began our labor. Did not have many houses to canvass. After we had been to them all, we sat down on a pile of lumber by the side of the road. I wrote a letter to my sister Josephine. Went on a little ways farther and then turned off into the woods where we studied until after 4 o’clock, then we went to the school house, held prayers, and waited until 7 p.m. for the people to come. We did not have any dinner or supper. I presided as my companion was very weak and I did not want to put too much on him. I felt my weakness very much in arising to speak to the people but I enjoyed a good portion of the spirit. I spoke on the Organization and Apostasy and Restoration for 55 minutes. Elder Rogers did not speak at all. After meeting we were invited home with Mr. Scroggins. His wife and some children were sick yet he felt to share with us. I talked with him for some time when we got home. He asked a good many questions which I answered. He congratulated me on my speaking, but it was not me that did it but the Lord through me. To Him be all the praise honor and the glory. Retired to bed at 9:30 p.m.; rested good.

Saturday, January 5, 1901

I answered several questions for the brother after a nice breakfast. Was quite hungry, had not had anything for 24 hours. I ate 6 biscuits. We bid the folks goodby and came to the school house where we held prayers and wrote in our journals, then going on across Big Creek to the Stranger community, we began canvassing. We came to Mr. Garrett’s at noon who asked us to stop and have dinner. Talked with him until 3 p.m., then went on and finished the rest of the houses to the county line. Rested once. Night came on. We began to ask for entertainment. The first place the family could not take us because they were down with the fever. The next house we got in, a wealthy man. Had a nice supper after which I gave them a good conversation upon the gospel until bedtime.

Sunday, January 6, 1901

The night was quite warm and I was not feeling very good when I got up. It being Sunday we did not wish to travel so I asked Mr. Varnado if we could remain the day with him. He said we could if they were going to be home but were all going off, so we had to go. We went over in to the Grady Community to hear Mr. Pringle preach. He was a Campbellite minister. He gave the people some very good advice. He showed them the necessity of living upright and moral lives, but said it did not matter about what church you belonged to, just so you do what is right. I would have liked to correct him on that point. We were invited home with Bro. Johnson for dinner. The members all took sacrament instead of offering the right prayer. We just thanked the Lord for the bread and wine. All the members stood up until they had partaken. At 3 p.m. we left the Johnsons’ and went into the woods where I wrote a letter home to my folks. Held prayers and then started for Mr. Arlington’s, where we were intending to stay over night. When we arrived at the place they were glad to see us and welcomed us in. Had a nice supper and talked upon different subjects until 9 p.m. when I held prayers for them and we retired.

Monday, January 7, 1901

We were invited back at any time. We went into McClanahan. There was a letter from my father and some Voice of Warnings. After posting our reports, we started back. I was not feeling very good so did not go very fast. Stopped several times and read the Deseret News as it was the first we had had for some time. Did not have any dinner. During the afternoon we came to a Josephite Latter-day Saint. She was a woman. I had quite a talk with her about the true church. She said that she could not believe that Brigham Young was a prophet of God. I showed her a difference between the two and that the keys of the kingdom rested upon the apostles after the prophet Joseph’s death, and I showed her that it was not to be reorganized. They had made some bold professions that they could heal the sick by the laying on of hands, but on every occasion they had failed. Some of the people were prejudiced towards us on that account. But I explained to them the difference between us and in every case left a tract at their homes. At night we began to seek for entertainment; were refused once. The next place, a Mr. Swennea, said that he couldn’t keep us and didn’t want any of our literature. It was after dark. We went on to an old vacant house out in the field and as we were coming back met Mr. Swennea. He told us to come stay with him. He gave us a nice supper, after which I talked to him until bedtime upon our faith. Retired at 9 p.m.

Tuesday, January 8, 1901

Had a good rest and a nice breakfast after which we started out to get the privilege to preach in the community. Were refused the schoolhouse so we tried to get the union church. Visited a number of families who were prominent members in the church but they could give us no satisfaction. We could not find anyone that had charge of the house so we concluded that we wouldn’t preach there. We then went to the post office to get our mail and found my shoes had come. I tried them on and found they would hurt me in having to start right to walking in them so I hit the storekeeper for a swap. He got down a pair just like them, price was $3.00, but he got to feeling of them and decided that his were a little the best. So in order to make the trade I gave him 10c in silver and 40c in stamps, all that I had, making them cost me $4.00. We then went on to Mr. Roberts’ where we had dinner, then went into the woods and read for a while. Night began to come on. Sold 2 Voice of Warnings the first place, but the lady was confined. The next place the man said that he did not make a custom of taking people in for nothing. He told us that if we would pay the charges we could stay. I told him that we were unable to meet any charges as we traveled without purse or scrip. He refused to take a pamphlet. Went on to Mr. Brothers’ where we stayed. Had a nice talk until nearly 10 o’clock.

Wednesday, January 9, 1901

It was awful cloudy when we arose. Had a nice breakfast after which we took a shave and then commenced our labor among the people. Stopped in the woods where we held prayers. One lady, while giving her a tract, stood and laughed in our faces. We sold three little Voice of Warning tracts. Came to Mr. John Record’s at 1 p.m. He asked us in and we had a nice talk, also a good dinner. While there it rained some. Left his place at 4 o’clock and began asking for entertainment. Were refused once. But got into Bro. J.S. Hayes’ place. Did not eat any supper. The Dr. heard we were here so he came over to talk with us. I talked with them until 10 o’clock, mostly upon Authority, showing them very plainly that Joseph Smith was called directly from God. I enjoyed the talk very much. They asked a good many questions which we answered to the best of our ability. Had a good bed.

Thursday, January 10, 1901

During the night it rained and was quite cold and muddy when we got up. After breakfast we walked up to the post office. Got a letter from my sister Ella and one from J.F. Perkins. We then started out to go to work. It began to rain so we stopped into Mr. Swennea’s, where we stayed for a couple of hours and had a good dinner (sausage). After it had stopped raining we went on to the next house, were invited in and had a talk on the gospel and I sold them a voice of Warning. Went on to the next. Mud was very bad and it was very cold. After 4 p.m. we came to Mr. Hair’s place and I asked for entertainment which was granted us. After supper the family was gathered around the fireside and began asking questions. I talked to them on our faith and teachings and answered all questions. Had a pleasant time. One of the men said they believe I knew the Bible off by heart by the way I talked.

(To be continued)


No Comments »

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI