Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Heresy! Apostasy! Abomination!

Heresy! Apostasy! Abomination!

By: Ardis E. Parshall - June 14, 2012

From the Improvement Era, 1960 {shudder} —

1. Aren’t sugar beets lovely?

A lot of faithful LDS farmers grew beets for Amalgamated Sugar Co. producing White Satin (like, my family). They were always a little sensitive about that whole U&I thing. Note the small print with the factory in Nyssa, Oregon – my birthplace.

Comment by Grant — June 14, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

2. What is the child holding?

Comment by Dustin — June 14, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

3. ah, I see… sugar beets

Comment by Dustin — June 14, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

4. Sugar beets, Dustin. As Grant says, aren’t they lovely? [edit: we cross-posted]

There’s some interesting information in the ever-helpful Wikipedia about the history of Amalgamated that shows how integral church members and leaders were to its origins and development. But other than the early generic “buy Utah sugar” ads, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ad in a church magazine for any brand other than U&I. I wonder what backroom discussions were held before it was accepted?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 14, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

5. Yay for White Satin Sugar!

Growing up in central Utah I remember driving past the Spanish Fork sugar beet factory and hearing about beet sugar like it was the greatest thing that ever happened in the history of America. The old smokestack and brick facade made for great mystical lore that I loved as a kid.

I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about sugar beets also Ardis. I’m wondering if perhaps we should take this as inspiration and start planting some crops of our own?

Comment by Stan Way — June 14, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

6. Stan, I’ve got four pots of tomatoes on my front steps — that about exhausts my potential agricultural acreage, Stan. How ’bout you?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 15, 2012 @ 7:14 am

7. Golly am I a city kid. Until I read Dustin’s answer to his own question, I wondered why she was sitting on a pile of rocks…. :-p

Comment by Paul — June 15, 2012 @ 8:01 am

8. That’s OK Paul, I thought she was holding coconuts.

Comment by PostScript — June 15, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

9. Four pots of tomatoes is more than I’ve got going. Brother Brigham would be very disappointed in my gardening skills. Haha.

I’m still loving how cheerful this girl is on the sugar beets. Life used to be so simply happy.

Comment by Stan Way — June 16, 2012 @ 7:32 pm