Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Whole Year Through: The Children’s Friend, 1958

The Whole Year Through: The Children’s Friend, 1958

July

August

September

October

November

December

1. I adore this “Whole Year Through.” I was seven days old when 1958 began. I love that this was the world I was born into! Thanks for posting!!!

Comment by John Hoffs — June 6, 2012 @ 8:44 am

2. Thanks, John. I love it when someone points out that a post is personal.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 6, 2012 @ 9:17 am

3. Fantastic. I really enjoy looking at how the printing industry has changed over the decades. These two color covers are great examples of the art (three colors really, two+black). Evidently, ad sales were good enough in Sept and December to go full color.

Thanks for posting.

Comment by The Other Clark — June 6, 2012 @ 11:06 am

4. Ah, what a great year 1958 was–even with the birth of my baby brother that June! Other than the skunks and the skiing, it looks a lot like my memories of that year, only clearer.

Comment by Mark B. — June 6, 2012 @ 11:36 am

5. Ardis, How do these covers compare to the covers of the Church’s other magazines? More/less colorful? More/less playful? Do we know if the art was produced in-house?
    These are great.Thanks.

Comment by Gary Bergera — June 6, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

6. Gary, the Children’s Friend was *far* more colorful than the covers of the other magazines of the era. The Improvement Era that year did have a handful of full color reproductions of religious paintings, but other months were virtually black and white (green and white, peach and white …). Even when they featured a sunny piece of scenery, it was framed by black branches and foliage that give kind of an eerie feel. The Instructor featured portraits or other images that could be used as visual aids in Sunday School, mostly monotones. The Relief Society Magazine covers all look to me like calendar art versions of nature scenes, except for the Christmas issue which featured a Madonna.

The CF was the only magazine with such colorful covers, or with any whimsy about them.

And I don’t know about 1958 in particular, but other years in that era I have positive evidence that the covers were produced in house or by an artist commissioned to produce them specifically for the CF.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 6, 2012 @ 1:59 pm

7. Personal for me as well, as I was born in September of 1958. These are awesome!

Comment by Kevin Barney — June 6, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

8. I was just over one year old at the beginning of 1958. My earliest memories (a few years later) still reflect the carefree and adventurous hikes in the woods and simply walking to school.

Good ol’ days for sure.