Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 5 December – 17 December, 1900

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 5 December – 17 December, 1900

By: Ardis E. Parshall - June 03, 2012

(Previous installment)

Wednesday, December 5, 1900

Had a good night’s rest and a nice breakfast. Left for Perry to get our mail at 7:30 a.m. Reached there about 9 am. I received some mail from home, also tracts and books. We then came back to our work. Did not have any dinner. Went and got permission of the trustees to hold meeting in the school house. It had begun to get late so we began seeking for entertainment. Were refused 6 times. Went up to one house and I had to fight the dogs away with my umbrella. Could not stay there. Next house the wife was sick. Next place, a big white house, had company. But, finally we got into a poor German’s house. He could not understand English. Had a nice supper of German sausage and a good bed.

Thursday, December 6, 1900

It was nice and clear when we got up. After eating a nice breakfast we thanked the old couple and went on our way, announcing a meeting. The first man we came to I sold him a Durrant book. We visited quite a number of families, then we went into the woods and studied for a while. Then went to the school house and had the teacher give out our meeting among the scholars. At 12 o’clock we came to a Mrs. Jones. The lady asked us in and gave us a nice dinner, after which I talked with her for two hours upon the gospel. She was a Missionary Baptist. She said that the way to receive the Holy Ghost was before baptism. At 7 p.m. we commenced our meeting with about 20 present. Elder Rogers preached 5 minutes and then I spoke about 40 minutes upon the first principles. After meeting we were invited home with Mr. Wagoner, who gave us a nice bed and we were treated fine.

Friday, December 7, 1900

It was late when we got up but we had a good night’s rest. We did not have any supper so we were quite hungry. We ate all the bread up which the lady prepared so she had to make a few slapjacks to finish up on. We began our labor at 9 a.m. Visited a few houses and then came to a rich man’s place by the name of Weaver. I had a good talk with them and they gave us a nice dinner (chicken pie). We then went on to the creek bottom where we stopped in the woods for 2 hours. At 3 p.m. we continued our labor. Went to another rich man. As soon as we had got sit down he lit in on the Bible. I did not say anything for a while. When I commenced he saw that he was cornered. He would not say anything more. I offered him a tract and a little book but he would not take either. He said that he did not want to read them for fear of making a shipwreck of what he already believed. I told him if that turned him, it was the Bible that would do it. Night came on. Were refused entertainment three times. Stayed with Mr. Bearringer. He was very crowded but he did the best he could with us. Slept good during the night. Quite cold.

Saturday, December 8, 1900

It was quite cool when we got up, quite thick ice. We thanked the folks and commenced our labor at 9 a.m. Stopped in the woods and had prayers. Then we went on visiting among the families. Came to one old man in the field. He rejected our testimony. Said that he did not want any of our doctrine in his house for his family to read. Next man had seen the elders in Georgia. He would not take any pamphlet. Sold a book to a nigger. Stopped in the school house for a while. Did not have any dinner. Came to another man in the corn field and talked with him for a short time. At 5 p.m. we came to Bro. Gann’s, so I asked him for entertainment which was granted unto us. After supper some of his friends came in. I gave them a good talk on the gospel as we understand it. Retired at 10 p.m.

Sunday, December 9, 1900

I had a nice night’s rest. Arose quite early. Quite heavy frost and quite cold. Sold a Voice of Warning to the man. At 9 a.m. we thanked them and took our departure. It being Sunday, we did not wish to work so we retired to the woods. When the sun came out good it was nice and warm. So we spent the day to ourselves writing letters to our loved ones and reading the Bible. Also had a little nap. After we had spent the day with no one to molest us, we had our prayers and started to one of our friends by the name of Jones where we desired to spend the night. When we arrived at their place, they welcomed us in, gave us a nice supper and a good bed. While talking, the man brought up polygamy and said that the New Testament condemned it. I undertook to prove that it didn’t, and he said that he would not suffer any man to talk such doctrine in his home before his children. I told him all right. He said that it was an abomination in the sight of God but could not prove his assertion. The old lady had everything spiritualized. She said that she was in possession of the holy spirit and received it before baptism. She claimed we were not. And counted us as false teachers. I kept them puzzled. Did not have any dinner.

Monday, December 10, 1900

We got up before daylight and as it was quite cold we did not start out until 8 o’clock. We went to Perry to get our mail and canvass that place, but we were disappointed in not getting our tracts. Were informed that they were not at the office. Waited until the train came in but there was nothing for us. We then came out among the Germans and began canvassing with the M.C. tracts. Sold one Voice of Warning. Went to a Methodist preacher’s house. I introduced myself to him and he said that he had heard of us and he said that he didn’t want any of our doctrine around his place. He said that he had kept two of our elders in the south and they told a lie right in his house. He said that if there was any possible way to get us out of the country it ought to be enforced. I held my own with him and at last bore him a strong testimony and told him if he did not repent, our testimonies would come up against him. Went into another place but couldn’t stay there. Were refused twice for entertainment. Stayed with Bro. Ran. Had a nice supper (sausage) but no dinner. Had a good bed; held prayers and I was mouth. Good sleep.

Tuesday, December 11, 1900

I rested fine during the night. Had a nice breakfast (sausage). Then we had a shave and commenced our labor. Did not canvass many houses until we got out of sight in the woods where we studied for an hour or two. Then, continuing our work, were rejected a few times. Did not want to do much on account of not having the right kind of tracts. Stopped in the timber again where we had prayers and read for a while. Continuing our walk, we began to seek for a place to tarry over night. The first man we asked was a German. He misunderstood me. After I got through asking him, he went into the house and came back with a dollar. I looked at him and he said “If it will do you any good, take it.” I said we don’t want that. We want to stay all night. He said yes, we would be perfectly welcome to stay but they were all going off. I sold him a Voice of Warning. Went out to Bro. Jund where we stayed over night. I gave him a good talk. Held prayers and retired.

Wednesday, December 12, 1900

During the night it began to rain and was still raining when we got up. Had a nice breakfast. After a while I went out to the stable where the man was and got permission to stay all day and night as it was getting awful bad traveling. He was a German and could not understand us very good. In the morning they asked Elder Rogers to pray (meaning to ask the blessing). We were all sitting around the table. He went ahead and prayed a long prayer and never asked the blessing as they meant. In the afternoon we went out to the woodpile where we sawed up all the wood that he had. Had a nice dinner and supper and at 9 o’clock we held prayers. I was mouth. Retired to bed and had a good sleep.

Thursday, December 13, 1900

After spending a day and two nights with Bro. Jund, the time had come for us to leave, although it was awful muddy and cold. We visited among the people until 2 p.m. and were not asked into any house. We had to keep a-going all the time as it was quite cold. Were rejected several times, but we still made our way through the mud. It would roll up on our feet, making it very disagreeable to walk. Did not have any dinner. At 2 p.m. it was a little warmer so we stopped in the woods for two hours. We held prayers and went out to seek entertainment. Sold two Voice of Warnings. Found a place to stay with Bro. Sandner. Had a nice supper and a good bed. Talked with him until 9 p.m.

Friday, December 14, 1900

When we went to bed it was almost clear, but when we got up it was awful cloudy and a heavy fog all around. I asked Bro. Sandner if we could wash our clothes but the answer he gave me I took that he did not want us to stay with him any longer than possible, so we put it off. Left his place at 9 a.m. and started for Perry to get our mail. It was very bad walking through the mud and there was a light mist falling most of the time. Reached the town at 12 and stayed in the P.O. until after the mail came but we were disappointed in not receiving our tracts. Received word from Elder Call that Pres. Hunsaker and Elder Randall, staying with Bro. & Sister Smith, had been quarantined. We canvassed the little town. It was very cold. Was a way after dark before we got a place to stay. Got into Bro. Radle’s who gave us a fine supper (sausage). We had a fine talk with him. He believed in letting all people [do] as they see fit. Retired at 10. Had a fine bed.

Saturday, December 15, 1900

It was still awful cloudy and cold when I got up. We did not have anything to do until after the mail came in at 1 p.m. as we were out of tracts so I got permission to stay at Bro. Radle’s house until it came. They did not have any fire. I was cold all the time while there. At 12 we had a nice dinner, after which we bid them goodby. Went into Perry. Our tracts had come. Received a letter from Pa written at Kanarra. We came out in the country about 6 miles through the mud. Canvassed a few houses, all Germans. Houses were quite a ways apart. Began to ask for a place to stay before sundown. Were refused twice. Stayed with a rich German. He asked me a good many questions in regard to our Church. Retired to bed at 8 o’clock.

Sunday, December 16, 1900

I had a good night’s rest. Was late when we arose. Awful cloudy and quite cold. We did not want to travel on Sunday so I asked Bro. Berndt if we could remain the day with him. My request was granted which I was very thankful for. I went and wrote a letter to my folks at home, after which I went in where he was and answered questions that he asked in regard to our people. Had a nice dinner (sweet potatoes), cake and fruit. During the storm at Galveston he said that one of his sisters, her husband, and two children were drowned. The weather did not clear off. After supper I talked to him about the Book of Mormon and answered a good many questions until nearly 10 o’clock.

Monday, December 17, 1900

It was still cloudy when we got up. After eating a nice breakfast we bid the folks goodby and commenced our labor. We had to walk about 4 miles to get to our labor. While on our way we came to a creek so we stopped there and had a good bath. It was very cold. Going on, we met one of the trustees. Had a talk with him and sold him a book. Went on to the other trustee to get permission to preach in the school house but he was not home. Continued to canvass among the people. Sold two more books. Some of the people would receive our literature with a smile as much as to say they were glad to get it, while others would hardly take it. Came back to one of the trustees at night and got permission to stay over night. He was a rich man. Went to bed early. I sewed my pants some before retiring. Had a fine bed.

(To be continued)


No Comments »

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI