Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Whole Year Through: Brigham Young University, 1936

The Whole Year Through: Brigham Young University, 1936

By: Ardis E. Parshall - May 29, 2012

… back when the school was split between “lower campus” (the Provo Library and the former women’s gymnasium across the street are the only remaining vestiges, I think) and “Temple Hill” (site of the Maeser Building, the Heber J. Grant Library, and a very few others). These advertisements appeared in the Improvement Era. And look! the advertising department was even experimenting with color!

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

W

December

1. Cool! I’m heading to the Provo Library (“Education Building” old BY Academy) for an event this evening.

Comment by Grant — May 29, 2012 @ 7:03 am

2. The gates are always open, Grant — explore new worlds of thought!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 29, 2012 @ 7:05 am

3. I like that font used for the university name the first four months. They kept changing the layout and typeface and look of the ads — this was definitely back in the days before branding was practically a science. (A number of years ago I asked my daughter if she knew what branding was. She replied, “slapping your logo on the side of a cow.”)

Comment by Amy T — May 29, 2012 @ 7:47 am

4. That “Alpine Session” would have been up at Aspen Grove, on the road above Sundance on the north side of Mt. Timpanogas. That would be a nice place to spend August–although I wonder how much studying–at least of books–would get done. I can imagine enjoying some practical astronomy–with the right study partner, that is.

And it’s interesting to see them advertising “Leadership Week”–the precursor (“curse” being the operative word) of Education Week–for January. I’m surprised that they had room for that in the middle of their winter term.

Comment by Mark B. — May 29, 2012 @ 9:21 am

5. Were the names of professors listed in the May ad been famous enough to be known by those who were not already part of BYU?

Comment by Paul — May 29, 2012 @ 11:08 am

6. I think L. John Nuttall’s name (or at least LJN, Sr.) would have been familiar to the Church at large, but I don’t know any of the other names. Some of them may have been notable in their time, though, as speakers, or maybe authors of magazine authors. Would be an interesting project to find out.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 29, 2012 @ 11:12 am

7. It would also be interesting to find out whether any of those men and women had reputations that continued after they quit teaching at BYU. One clue would be in the three-volume set, They Gladly Taught, published by BYU beginning about 25 years ago. I’ll have to check the next time I’m in Utah to see whether any of the people in the ads show up in those books.

Comment by Mark B. — May 29, 2012 @ 11:56 am