Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 19 November – 4 December 1900

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 19 November – 4 December 1900

By: Ardis E. Parshall - May 27, 2012

(Previous installment)

Monday, November 19, 1900

Rested very well during the night; had a nice breakfast and talked with the folks a while and arranged our mail to leave it in their box. After leaving we went into the woods, held prayers and sewed buttons on my pants. Continued canvassing until nearly noon when we went and had a bath in the creek, then went on two or three houses. Went into the last one and talked for a short time, then left. After we had got out a ways he came (J.N. Belew) and called us back to dinner. At 2 p.m. we stopped in the woods until nearly night, when we started out for a place to tarry overnight. Stayed with a holiness preacher.

Tuesday, November 20, 1900

Rested very good during the night. Was raining when we got up. We talked with the folks until 10 a.m. He had turned sanctified. The roads were quite bad, but we pursued our labors visiting the families and talking upon the gospel. One lady gave me some nice pears and peanuts. Ate dinner with Bro. Snow. He was an infidel. At 3 p.m. we stopped at a school house for a short time, then decided to go to Bro. Thorne’s, one of our old friends, to wash our clothes and get ready to start to Conference. They were glad to see us; had a nice talk until bedtime. Retired at 9:30 p.m.

Wednesday, November 21, 1900

It was so warm that I did not sleep very much through the night. Got up quite early on account of Bro. Thorne going to town. We washed our clothes while he was gone. It was hard for us to get the fire to burn. After dinner we all went into the cotton field and picked cotton until night. While eating supper Bro. Thorne was stung with a wasp. He knocked it off onto me and the thing stung me on the hand. Talked with them until bedtime. Held prayers. Elder Barber was mouth. Had a good bed; rested very well.

Thursday, November 22, 1900

It was awful cloudy when we got up; so hot during the night that I could not sleep very good. Bro. Thorne gave us 50c to get the Deseret News for six months. At 8 a.m. we bid them goodby. They gave us a warm welcome to return at any time. Went to Grandview and got our photos. Sent one home. Elder Barber had a shingle. I bought me another journal for 15c. We then came out to Bro. Kedy’s, where we spent the rest of the day writing letters. Sister Kedy was going to town so she left us in charge of the house. Did not have any dinner but a nice supper and a good bed.

Friday, November 23, 1900

I had a good night’s rest. Arose early. Chicken for breakfast. Started for Hill Co. Went into Grandview where Elder B. had a shave. We then started down the street; walked past a preacher and into a store. The preacher followed us to the door, turned square around and hit across the street and watched and talked about us as far as he could see us. We came out to Bro. Cogtell’s where we stayed over night. At the supper table, he asked who was the oldest. Elder B. said I was. He said, “I guess you better say grace.” I reckon he was a greater talker; did not believe in the divinity of Christ.

Saturday, November 24, 1900

It was awful cloudy when we got up and quite warm, but soon after breakfast the weather changed to a norther and we could hardly walk fast enough to keep warm. Passed through Covington, then out south toward Woodbury where we were desirous of having a good time in Conference. But on nearing the place we were informed by people upon the highway that smallpox was raging at the place. But not paying much attention to that, we went on. Arrived at Bro. Smith’s at 3 p.m. Found some of the elders there, and it was to our sorrow that what we had heard was so. Bro. Smith’s son’s wife had died. It was reported by the doctor that she had the smallpox. The elders and people that had seen her did not believe what he said. He knew that by telling that yarn he could break up the conference, and he succeeded in accomplishing his desires. The people said that the school house doors would be locked and bolted. The friends all went back on us and we were all compelled to stay in one little house. Some would sleep a while and then get up for others. Held a nice meeting. Elders Call, Heward, and Higgins spoke in our little house.

Sunday, November 25, 1900

We rested very well considering the show that we had. I slept in the middle but did not get very cold. At 8 a.m. Sister Smith had prepared breakfast for us which we all partook very heartily of. After breakfast Pres. Hunsaker, Elder Ashby, and myself went into the woods where we arranged the work of the elders for the coming winter. The rumor of smallpox being so bad, it was thought best to start out some of the elders, and there was a team going their way for 15 miles. Elders Higgins, Craner, Ashby, and Call bid the rest of us goodby and it was with tears in our eyes that we took their hand. The rest of us remained in the old house the rest of the day talking upon various subjects. At night supper was brought. Pres. Hunsaker said that we would hold a meeting among ourselves and partake of the sacrament. Each one bore a strong testimony to the work of the Lord in which we were engaged, having a good flow of the spirit with us which caused us to rejoice and praise the Lord.

Monday, November 26, 1900

The time had come for us to part and leave for our fields of labor. At 11 a.m. we administered to Pres. Hunsaker as he had been very sick all morning and then we started, Elder Randall, Pierce, Barber and myself going one way and the others another way. We had got out 2 minutes when Elder Chandler caught us telling us to return as Pres. Duffin had come in with some more Elders. We were sorry that he could not stay with us longer than he did, but circumstances would not permit holding meeting at night. Slept in family bed.

Tuesday, November 27, 1900

There was only three of us slept in the old house so we had a very good night’s rest. After breakfast I rode one of Bro. Smith’s horses to the office after the mail; received several letters from home also two packages, pine nuts, grapes, and clothing. At 1 p.m. Elder Randall came in with the elders. I was indeed glad to see Perry Huntsman. We had a good time during the afternoon talking together. At night we held another meeting. Elders Huntsman, Rogers, Randall, Pierce, and Hunsaker all spoke. Had a good time. Six slept in the old house.

Wednesday, November 28, 1900

I rested very good during the night, although the bed was quite hard. Slept with Elder Huntsman and Elder Barber. At 10 a.m. we bid the folks and elders goodby and left for our field of labor, traveling down through the country, wandering about from one road to another until night. Four of us traveled together until 4 p.m. when we separated. Elder Rogers and I went one way and Elder Huntsman and Barber went another. It was getting late. We got entertainment with Mr. Barber. I gave him a good conversation. Retired to bed at 8:45 p.m.

Thursday, November 29, 1900

During the night we had a nice rain and it was late when we got up. Left Bro. Barber’s at 8:30 a.m., going out to the railroad and took down it. It wasn’t long until we had caught the other elders. We all traveled together until night, going through Aquilla where we bought some crackers and sausage for dinner. We continued our walk. Sold 1 book to a nigger. At night we separated and began to seek for entertainment. Got into a German’s where they were all a-talking all night and we could not understand them. I gave them a short conversation. Retired to bed at 8 p.m. and had a good rest.

Friday, November 30, 1900

The man we stayed with agreed to give us a ride to Waco, 14 miles. But on account of promising the elders we would meet them, we did not accept his offer. After we had got out to the railroad we waited for 1-1/2 hours for them but they did not come so we concluded they were on ahead of us and we started on, but never did catch them. We passed through Ross. Every once in a while we would take a little rest. At 2 p.m. we reached the city of Waco, a place of 36,000 people. Went into a place and bought a 10c lunch; had all we wanted. After a short rest we took the railroad again, walking 7 miles when night came upon us. We got permission to stay with a man who batched it. He got a nigger woman to cook us some supper. Retired to bed at 9 p.m.; had a good bed; rested fine.

Saturday, December 1, 1900

The weather was nice and pretty. Slept well; had a good breakfast. Left at 8 a.m. on our way rejoicing. Stopped in the woods and had prayers, then passed through Harrison to Resiel. Went out about a mile when we sat down to rest. I wrote a letter to Bunkerville. Continued our walk and were in our County Falk before we knew it. It was too late to do any work so we went to the woods where we had a shine and dedicated our county and ourselves to the Lord. We began to ask for entertainment but found they were all Germans. One man said he couldn’t keep us because he couldn’t talk to us; found a place and had a good supper and bed.

Sunday, December 2, 1900

It being fast day we did not eat any breakfast. Had a shave and then went to the Methodist Church house where they were having Sunday School, but they were all Germans so we were unable to understand them. After they were through with their exercises a tune was played on the organ and all who wished to walked up to the pulpit and gave in some money. After Sunday School was over, preaching commenced. They all knelt down to pray. The preacher while praying was looking all over the house. It looked to me like it was coming from the lips instead of the heart. The hat was again passed around. When they closed there wasn’t anybody asked us home so we commenced to canvass. Had a nice dinner with Mr. Wiebusch (turkey). He did not want to talk with us so we went on farther. Came to a pasture with some timber in it and stopped in there a while. I wrote a letter home. Night came on so we began to find a place to tarry. Were refused once. Stayed with H.S. Fike. Had a good supper and bed. Retired at 9 o’clock.

Monday, December 3, 1900

During the night there was a norther came up, so it was quite cold when we got up. Had a nice breakfast of sausage, after which we wrote a letter to both presidents and then went to the P.O. at Riesel to mail them. My shoes were in a bad condition, so I went to the shoe shop and had them half soled for 40c. We came back to our labors. The first house we came to was David Graham who met us at the door and invited us in to take dinner with him; had a nice talk after we got through eating. Continued our canvassing. Were rejected twice by two Germans. Sat down on the warm side of a bank for a while, had prayers, and then went and got permission to stay with Fred Baker, who treated us fine. He could not understand us very good; had a nice bed and a good rest.

Tuesday, December 4, 1900

After having a good night’s rest and a good breakfast, we thanked them and went on our way rejoicing. Visited among the people until 11 a.m. when we stopped on the sunny side of a hay shed, where we wrote a letter. Some of the people could not talk nor read our language. At 1 p.m. we came to a gin. Went up to a man’s house. As soon as he saw us he invited us to take dinner with him, although he was very poor. Yet what he had was welcome. His name is McFarlane. After talking for a while we went on to a school house where we rested until night. The first man we asked for entertainment began on the old stories of Mormonism. I headed him off on everything. At first he could not keep us but I gave him a little talk and finally he said come in. Had a good supper and a good bed. He had been in Utah and California.

(To be continued)



  1. It seems like he’s including more and more detail as he goes along. It makes it more interesting reading.

    Comment by lindberg — May 30, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

  2. He’s maturing in a lot of ways, isn’t he? I think the more expansive record is part of that. And I agree — the more detail there is, the more interesting it becomes.

    Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 30, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI