Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » British Latter-day Saint Images, 1957

York Branch Primary
Outing to Scarborough

Brother and Sister Chambers
An LDS Wedding in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Preston Branch Sunday School
Outing to Zoo and Circus

1. The Peterborough Hillbilly Band reminded me of these other famous British hillbillies.

Comment by kevinf — May 17, 2012 @ 11:24 am

2. I wonder if they still let visitors atop York Minster like that?

Oh, and the hillbillies and tramps? Who knew the British Saints had such trashy interests? [grin]

Comment by David Y. — May 17, 2012 @ 11:35 am

3. They didn’t let me up there, David. But then I didn’t think to ask.

But who needs to be on the roof since the music inside the Minster will transport you to heaven? If you’re ever in York, make sure you don’t miss the Evensong!

Comment by Mark B. — May 17, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

4. The Anglican minister at the Cornerstone Laying Ceremony is shoved to the back of the crowd and about to get bumped into the pit.

Comment by charlene — May 17, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

5. No one ever said we were subtle, charlene.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 17, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

6. How can you be sure that’s the local vicar? Maybe it’s a guy in a cheap plastic poncho just trying to keep dry. (Except for the fact that cheap plastic ponchos didn’t exist in 1957.)

Comment by Mark B. — May 17, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

7. Yeah, I thought he looked like a cleric, too! But dismissed the white cassock-looking thing as some strange coat. Too funny. But poor guy, facing that steep hole!

Comment by David Y. — May 17, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

8. Wow – that picture on York Minster is fantastic, we are not even allowed to climb a ladder to get on to a chapel roof, or even change a light bulb that is out of reach from a standing position. Nice collection of bygone days, although I wish we had more cub-scout involvement with YMs like in the US.

Comment by David M. Morris — May 18, 2012 @ 3:02 am

9. Mark B. – It might be a plastic mac. I knew of a reference at least back to 1966 in the Who’s song “Substitute.” and then I found this from 1953:

Comment by Grant — May 18, 2012 @ 10:17 am

10. OK. And I had to check with my father-in-law before I said any more, but I confirmed this evening that he was present at this event. In fact, he got to say the opening prayer as he was a missionary by the name of Elder Kimball, Great-Grandson of Heber C. (as he always says when someone asks if he is related to President Spencer W. Kimball, “Yes, along with 5,000 other people.”)

Comment by Grant — May 20, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

11. Just to clarify, “this event” you’re referring to is the cornerstone dedication at the London temple? Awesome.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — May 20, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

12. Right, Ardis. Sorry. I was still commenting on the same picture after a lapse of a couple of days. I just emailed my father-in-law a link to the picture to see if he can remember where he was – probably up on the stand if he said a prayer. He thinks he has some pictures too, so we’ll see if maybe we can get a copy looking the other direction. Or maybe some further evidence of the Vicar or guy-in-the-plastic-mac falling in the hole.

Comment by Grant — May 20, 2012 @ 10:25 pm

13. Love these images. You,ve given me a few more ideas to pursue. The scoutmaster, Jacobs, is one the stalwarts in my old stake in Ipswich. Nice collection.

Comment by Peter fagg — June 13, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

14. OK. Over at my in-laws for family dinner (on an odd Saturday instead of the usual third Sunday) my father-in-law told me he finally got around to looking at these pics. He cannot remember where he was in the Temple cornerstone picture, but he found himself in the Hucknall Branch picture. Elder Ken Kimball, and Hucknall Branch President, is on the top far left next to the bus driver. His companion, Elder Burnham, is the tall one with glasses and no jacket, one row down and second from the right. He wishes he could remember names of the vaguely familiar local members.

Comment by Grant — July 14, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

15. How fun! Thanks, Grant, and please tell your father-in-law thank you. Just having these names in the comments will make this visible to family members who might Google.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — July 14, 2012 @ 6:50 pm