Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1927 (3)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1927 (3)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 30, 2012

Martinez, California

Cache Junction, Utah
Scouts Doing “Good Turn” by Cleaning Schoolhouse

Regina, Saskatchewan
First Sunday School

Otto, Wyoming

1. When did temple visitor center missionary assignments switch from elders to sisters?

Comment by HokieKate — April 30, 2012 @ 8:44 am

2. Thanks, Ardis. Once again, these are great!

Comment by Gary Bergera — April 30, 2012 @ 8:47 am

3. That photo of the boy scouts learning archery looks like it could be the inspiration for a Normal Rockwell painting.

Comment by -MMM- — April 30, 2012 @ 8:52 am

4. I believe you would now need scuba gear to visit Keetley, UT.

Comment by @UtMormonDemoGuy — April 30, 2012 @ 9:04 am

5. Wow, the costumes of the Gold and Green Ball Royalty are…um, wow.

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — April 30, 2012 @ 9:55 am

6. Great pics again, Ardis!

As Centerville Correspondent, I felt an obligation at least to google the “Lund Home for Boys” and discovered that it was an LDS-sponsored orphanage. It was located at the north end of Centerville – often confused with “Farmington.” I’ll try to drive by and see if that building is still there.

And could I request a copy by e-mail of that group of Scouts from Rexburg, please? My wife and I are compiling some historical info for the Great Salt Lake Council on the upcoming (2013) 100th anniversary of Scouting in the LDS Church. I already found a couple of other good items at Keepa that we may use – all with proper attribution of course!! (We’ll be in touch) Oh, and we welcome any input from other Keepa Correspondents out there!

Comment by Grant — April 30, 2012 @ 10:04 am

7. I’ll send the picture, Grant.

Sometimes the Lund Home is confused with an industrial school or reform school, which it most definitely was not. (Not that you said so, Grant, but this gives me a good opening to say this.) The boys who were placed there were at risk, but were not delinquents in any sense. Some where true orphans, as implied by the term “orphanage,” but they also included boys whose parents were struggling and couldn’t keep their sons in school, or the sons of chronically ill parents or those who for whatever reason were unable to care for their sons for some period of time. The Lund School was a socially progressive, proactive experiment to provide support and guidance to boys at risk before they had taken any wrong steps. They were cared for, given education, and taught chores and responsibility and independence.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 30, 2012 @ 10:15 am

8. Once again, I like the variety of the (ever-present) male headgear.

Comment by The Other Clark — April 30, 2012 @ 10:17 am

9. Heck, I’d have gone down and cleaned the windows at the Joaquin School if they’d let me stand on the ledge outside the second story windows! Imagine the excitement that would break out if any kids got to do that in these enlightened days!

Comment by Mark B. — April 30, 2012 @ 10:37 am

10. UtahMormonDemoGuy pushed my curiosity past the limit. Ah, the Jordanelle Reservoir.

As Brother J. Golden would have said “Dam it!”

Comment by Mark B. — April 30, 2012 @ 10:39 am

11. Some great photos! And how fun to see the photo of Saltair. Thanks.

Comment by David Y. — April 30, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

12. It’s great to see an early picture of the Regina saints! As you know they have a Temple there now, dedicated in 1999. At that time they had 3 wards but now they have two due to move-outs and whatnot. Funny thing about Regina is they got a Temple like 9 years or so before Calgary, Alberta which has 6 stakes!

Comment by Cameron — April 30, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

13. The Lund Home is not there anymore. About six or seven years ago the Centerville Historic Sites Committee put a Local Historical Marker for the Lund Home on Chase Lane (I believe, or on Main Street) near where the home was. In my Centerville files I have several pictures of the boys, a history of Lund Home, and the floor plans of the building. The elementary school pictures of my mother and aunt have some of the Lund Home boys in their classes.

Comment by Maurine Ward — May 1, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

14. Love that all the Arizona tourist guides have hats off with the noticeable pale foreheads. Reminds me of my granddads’

Comment by gretchen — May 2, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

15. My name is Scott Harrington and I would like to make contact with Maurine Ward regarding the Lund Home for Boys. My Father and Uncle were in the Lund Home and I am trying to find Pictures and the Floor Plans of the Home. My Dad’s name would be listed as Jimmie Bob Harrington, and I believe my Uncle, Jon Harrington, would have been in the home. I am not sure of the years that they would have been there. My email is [edited to prevent your being discovered by the spambots--AEP]

Thanks

Comment by Scott Harrington — June 1, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

16. Scott, I’ll make sure Maurine gets your message and your email address. I happen to know, though, that she is off the internet for the next few weeks, so please be patient about a response.

In the meantime, I’ll keep my eyes open for pictures and information for you, too.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 1, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

17. Scott Harrington,
    I have done quite a bit of research on the Lund Home for Boys. I have the floor plans, the farm layout, some excellent photos of the home, and a list of boys. I did locate Jimmie Bob Harrington and John Harrington on the list.

Comment by Grant Worth — August 21, 2012 @ 1:02 am

18. I would like to get in touch with Maurine Ward. I grew up in Farmington, in the 40s & 50s (and still do) I remover the old Lund home, the farm the dairy. My Wife grew up in Centerville just down the street, from the Lund home. But by the time she was there it was abandon. She rembers going to the building and seeing the old bed frames. We have talked many times about it. Have ask many people about it, no one seams to know much about it. I have searched it out before with no results . Would like to see more pic & dwg. Jim Taylor Farmington

Comment by Jim Taylor — November 20, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

19. Jim, I’ll forward your email address to Maurine and ask her to contact you.

(In case anybody wonders, I always check with readers before sharing their email addresses with anybody. In this case Jim has already asked for that contact, so I’m skipping the formality of asking for that permission.)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 20, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

20. I too had a father who was at the Lund Home. I would so much like some information and pictures of it. It is really hard to find anything. Both my parent have past away now and I heard my dad speak about living at the Lund home often. Please if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Comment by June Hansen — November 18, 2013 @ 8:47 pm

21. I also had a father and 2 uncles who were residents of the Lund Home and would like to know more. My father and 2 brothers were placed in the Lund Home circa late 1929 to early 1930 after their father, died about a month before the stock market crash on October 29, 1929. If anyone can connect me with any information about the home and or pictures of the boys in 1930-1936, I could probably identify them in the photos. My father’s name is Robert Lunnen and his brother’s names are Jim and Jack Lunnen.Thank You Teresa Stokes

Comment by Teresa J Stokes — March 11, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

22. My grandmother Varua Brown Cooper was the daughter of Guardello and Elizabeth “Bessie” Parry Brown who ran the Lund Home for several years. She and her siblings were raised among the boys and she shared many fond memories of life there. I would love to hear what became of any of Great-grandma Bessie’s “boys.” I am happy to share any information I can find in our family records. I am not certain how contact information is exchanged here, but would love to be in touch with others who are connected to the Home.

Comment by Renee Kalaniuvalu — June 19, 2014 @ 4:33 pm

23. Renee, that’s great.

I don’t share a commenter’s address without permission, but if you give me blanket permission to share your address I’ll furnish it privately to anyone who asks. Some of Bessie’s “boys” (or their children and grandchildren) still follow this post, so I’m sure there will be interest in contacting you. Thanks.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — June 19, 2014 @ 5:19 pm

24. Thank you Ardis. That would be wonderful!

Comment by Renee Kalaniuvalu — June 19, 2014 @ 6:26 pm