Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1928 (3)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1928 (3)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - April 03, 2012

Bluebird Girls

Rotterdam, Holland
Bee Hive Girls

Uintah Stake, Utah
Primary Jubilee Parade

Taft, California

1. I lived for a while in the Joplin, MO stake and spent quite a bit of time in Joplin at YSA activities (I am still sad about the stake center getting destroyed by the tornado last year). I find the picture in the post quite interesting. What was the Primary for Non-LDS kids? Was that a common program in the Church? How did it work?

Uintah stake with a dinosaur??? How could they promote “evilution”? :-)

Comment by Steve C. — April 3, 2012 @ 7:08 am

2. I had a choice of quite a few floats from that parade, Steve — why’dya think I picked the Uintah Stake float??

Yes, missionaries held Primaries for non-LDS kids quite often. It was considered a good way to present the LDS gospel to local people. Missionaries would canvass a neighborhood and explain what the program was, and get the permission of parents, sometimes even enlist them to help in the organization, and teach a “neighborhood” Primary, one that focused on recreation and health and general Christian purposes (the idea was NOT to secretly inculcate Mormonism behind parents’ backs). Kids would come home singing little Primary songs about Jesus and brushing their teeth and sharing, and the missionaries had an easier time getting into homes to teach families.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 3, 2012 @ 7:29 am

3. Some great shots. I suspect that the photos of the groups in Nampa, Idaho are in front of the 11th Avenue chapel, but I can’t quite match the shots with Google’s streetview.

The Oakland, California girls in pants? Scandal!

Comment by David Y. — April 3, 2012 @ 9:32 am

4. That Ogden Ward Kindergarten is HUGE. And am I the only one that finds dancing around a maypole in front of a temple a slight juxtaposition?

Comment by The Other Clark — April 3, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

5. Heh, hadn’t thought of that, TOClark!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — April 3, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

6. The first image that caught my attention was the spirit of camaraderie among the Oakland girls. They look to be about the same age as achievement days girls. Wouldn’t it be great to have a Primary teacher like that one? The dinosaur float gave me a chuckle. My grandma used to be involved from time to time in the float-building that happened every year for the 24th of July parade in her small Mormon town.

Comment by Mommie Dearest — April 3, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

7. Oh, it’s those crazy Canucks! They’ll do darn near anything for fun.

Comment by Mark B. — April 3, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

8. Thanks for posting these, Ardis – they’re always fun.

Comment by reed russell — April 3, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

9. Darn, I wish I’d seen this sooner — I was in Nampa yesterday and drove past the 11th St. chapel. It would have been fun to compare the photo to the building and confirm it’s the same.

Fun photos, as always!