Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1916 (2)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1916 (2)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 22, 2012

Latter-day Saints of 1916 —

Missionaries at Kamakura, Japan . . .
Ei Nachie is in the middle, . . .
with the light scarf) . . .

Fairview, Pennsylvania Sunday School

Lynn, Massachusetts, Branch Religion Class

Glasgow, Scotland Branch Relief Society Officers

Maori Agricultural College Football Team

Menan, Idaho
MIA Boys Studying Potato Diseases

Cassia Stake Scouts in Camp at Monument Park, Idaho

Masterton, New Zealand
Three-Month Maori Missionaries (for the most part)

Millard County, Utah Academy and
Deseret Stake Four-Day Chatauqua and Summer Outing

Maori Agricultural College Bookkeeping Class

Bennington, Idaho
Senior Beehives

Morgan, Utah
MIA Officers

Jason, North Carolina
New Saints baptized during the last week in 1916 by Elders Singleton and White

Winnipeg Branch, Manitoba

Eastern States Mission, Capitol Heights Sunday School.

Driggs, Idaho

South Texas Conference

(left to right, top:) John A. Young, D.M. Dalton, C.J. Call, J.W. Irons (middle:) E.D. Cracroft, J.P. Jensen, Arthur Asay, M.R. Selin
(bottom:) D.J. Hymas, J.O. Christensen, J.R. Mitchell, Verne Miller, Casper Wilde

Blackfoot 2nd Ward, Idaho
Cast of Sleeping Beauty

Missionaries of the British Columbia and West Washington Conferences,
Northwestern States Mission

Manhattan, New Zealand

1. I live in Winnipeg! yahoo! No clue who the people are but Elder Whitney of the Twelve had 2 years prior dedicated the first chapel here in the city. With the Temple now coming I wish we could do something with the first chapel that is still standing, abandoned.

Comment by Cameron — March 22, 2012 @ 8:28 am

2. Another great collection! Thanks, Ardis.

Comment by Gary Bergera — March 22, 2012 @ 9:03 am

3. I noticed that the sister missionaries in Washington/BC all are wearing white shirts. Have you seen anywhere if this was part of a dress code?

Comment by J. Stapley — March 22, 2012 @ 9:11 am

4. Bennington Idaho! My mother was born and grew up there, tool late to be in this picture. I’m looking hard, trying to see if I can recognize anyone there.

What do we know about Senior Beehives? That’s the first I’ve heard of that term. These are obviously not the 12 and 13 year old Beehives we know now.

Comment by kevinf — March 22, 2012 @ 9:27 am

5. Another beautiful morning in Kamakura!

And, could that team of Maoris be dressed for rugby football? Or as we call it nowadays, rugby? That sport seems the province of the New Zealanders these days (they did win the 2011 Rugby World Cup, after all) and I wonder if they were off to an early start in 1916.

Comment by Mark B. — March 22, 2012 @ 9:37 am

6. It’s always so much fun to hear that readers have a personal connection to one of these sites (or sights, both being appropriate). They’re nostalgic, as Cameron notes, and oh-so-familiar, as proved by a reader who sent me a photo of himself standing in front of the Kamakura Buddha.

J., I haven’t seen it as a dress code specifically for the lady missionaries, but at this era wouldn’t white blouses have been the standard office dress for women in the US? I can’t recall having seen prints in such shots, or dark colors except for full dresses. But I don’t have any positive knowledge one way or the other.

In the earliest years (and 1916 qualifies), kevinf, the Beehives were not a regular year-round class group within the MIA. The Beehive (or Bee Hive) program was an added summer program that any or all of the girls — and their leaders, and their mothers — could participate in. So the Senior Beehives probably just designated an older group who happened to be participating in that time and place. I think.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 22, 2012 @ 10:05 am

7. Lots of Idaho photos this time.

I love the Kamakura photo. It’s fun to think of all the missionaries that have taken photos in that spot over the last hundred years.

And it brings back memories. I, too, have a photo like that, taken seventy years later. I was still a fairly new missionary, and our trip to Kamakura was only the second time I’d been out of Tokyo. I vividly remember wandering around the various sites, strugging to follow the explanations from the Japanese sisters who were with us, marveling at the lush green of the forests after months of Tokyo’s concrete, eating lunch in a quiet little cafe overlooking the ocean.

I get to go back to Kamakura this summer. As we take photos with the Daibutsu, I’ll be thinking of this image from 1916.

Comment by lindberg — March 22, 2012 @ 10:58 am

8. Ah, Glasgow! It’s our stake’s 50th anniversary this year, Ardis, can you possibly send me a note of the source of that photograph? Thanks.

Comment by Alison — March 22, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

9. Check your mailbox, Alison.

lindberg, you gave me a pleasant chill at the idea of thinking who and how many people may have been standing in the same spot at this or any other attraction over the years. I’m sure that thought will come back to me the next time I’m posing for a snapshot near some monument.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 22, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

10. Ardis-is there a way to get that Winnipeg picture? As you know Winnipeg is getting a Temple here and it would be the coolest thing like ever to have a copy of that picture, I know it wouldn’t be the original but something else? Thanks so much!

Comment by Cameron — March 22, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

11. Check your mailbox, Cameron. As always, I’m glad to share these pictures with readers who have ties to those places and people. It’s our family photo album!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 22, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

12. Yeah, I will jump on that bandwagon myself. Send me the Bennington picture. It may, but probably isn’t, my grandmother, who would have been 18 at the time, in the back row with the dark hair and the necklace or scarf, second from the right. If I could blow up the picture a bit, it might help.

Comment by kevinf — March 22, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

13. In your mailbox, kevinf.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 22, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

14. My grandmother was born in Winnipeg in 1900, but her family would have moved away a few years before this.

Comment by Left Field — March 22, 2012 @ 9:21 pm

15. Thanks for the picture, Ardis. I shared it with my brother, and we both think that it is not my grandmother, but still it was fun to check it out. Provenance, and all that. Bennington was where my grandfather on my mother’s side was raised, but my grandmother lived in Montpelier until they married in 1917. Not likely that she would have been associated with Bennington before that. But if you ever run across a picture of the Bennington ward baseball team from that time, we might find my grandfather.

Comment by kevinf — March 22, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

16. @14-was your grandmother a member of the Church? Winnipeg at that time was dubbed the “Chicago of the North” or as we say here and now Chicago was the “Winnipeg of the South”! lots and lots of immigration then. Prior to 1916 there were a few members here and there until a branch was organized in 1914

Comment by Cameron — March 23, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

17. #16: Based on their children’s birthplaces, by great-grandparents immigrated to Winnipeg from England sometime between 1888 and 1894. My grandmother was born there in 1900. Her father died in 1904, leaving a wife and four children with one more on the way. Soon after, my great-grandmother moved her family back to England to be with relatives. While there, she met the Elders and joined the church. But she didn’t like it in England, and moved back to Winnipeg after perhaps a couple of years. They lived just a few years back in Canada, and then moved to Salt Lake, apparently around 1908. So they lived as Mormons in Winnipeg from about 1906 to 1908. It seems likely that some of the people in the photograph knew my grandmother’s family. I remember visiting my great-grandfather’s grave when I went to Winnipeg as a small child.

Comment by Left Field — March 25, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

18. @17-Wow! that is an amazing story! the church prior to 1914 would have been very small, in fact I think in those days they met in a member’s home that still stands today and then membership grew and a branch was started in 1914. Do you have a picture of your G-Grandfather’s grave? I can easily get you one

Comment by Cameron — March 26, 2012 @ 11:58 am