Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 5 May – 17 May 1900

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 5 May – 17 May 1900

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 18, 2012

(Previous installment)

Saturday, May 5, 1900

The weather was quite cloudy all day. After Bro. Bodine got through plowing we went out to the branch and fished for a while but they would not bite very good. I caught two little fellows while some of the rest didn’t catch any. We came in and ate of a fine dinner that Sister Bodine had prepared, after which Bro. Bodine and I went to Corsicana, two miles. It was a good-sized place. Everything seemed to be busy. A great many oil wells were being worked. After we got back we tried fishing again. I did not get a bite this time. About sundown I took my grip down on the creek and had a wash. Went to bed early and rested good.

Sunday, May 6, 1900

The sun was up quite a ways when we got up. It was quite cloudy but nice and cool. It was general fast day, so the Sister did not get any breakfast. They were a good family, were trying to keep the commandments of the Lord in their weak way. I sat around all day reading some of Orson Pratt’s work treating upon the Book of Mormon and the Kingdom of God. I also wrote a letter to my sister Annie and Pres. Duffin. The day seemed awful long but the night passed off quick. It began raining, thundering, and lightning but did not amount to much. I slept fine, arose early, found all to be well.

Monday, May 7, 1900 (Corsicana, Navarro Co.)

It rained some during the night and when we got up it was quite cloudy. After eating breakfast it began raining and we thought for a while that we would not get to start for Ellis County to visit among the elders. Just before noon it cleared off. We had a shave then ate a hearty dinner and bid Bro. Bodine and all goodby. They hated to see us go. We left them with tears in their eyes. We walked 15 miles that afternoon, passed through the little town of Rice up to Alma. Night had come on us by the time we got to Alma, so we began to seek for a place to tarry. Were refused 7 times, but finally the Lord opened a place for us. He took us in. They were eating supper but did not offer us any. We had a good bed and rested very well.

Tuesday, May 8, 1900 (Alma, Ellis County)

The family we stayed with were not very friendly. At breakfast time they ate their breakfast but did not ask us in. After they got through then she cooked us some. As soon as we were through, we left, thanking them for what they had done for us. We rode on a wagon about 4 miles into the City of Ennis. From there we walked up to Garret, then to Pliner. We left the railroad at that place, coming to Indiana where we found Elders Call and Barber. They had a meeting for night. We all were there. There was a large crowd. I and Elder Call took up the time. I had a good time together. I did not have but one meal during the day and walked about 20 miles. But I did not suffer. Had a good bed.

Wednesday, May 9, 1900

I did not rest very good during the night as I had walked all day and had no dinner or supper. I ate a hearty breakfast and after talking for a while we walked to the store, where we found the other elders. We all walked down below town where we took to the woods for a short time, had prayers and also a shave. We stayed together till nearly noon when we separated for a day or so. Elder Call and I went to another community to canvass it and to preach in it, but we could not get the church house. We visited quite a number of houses, were only rejected once. As night came on we were refused entertainment a time or two but finally got in, where we had a good night’s rest.

Thursday, May 10, 1900 (Carroll, Ellis Co.)

The weather nice and clear and quite warm. We began canvassing quite early but only visited two houses when we sat down on a log and wrote our journals, then going to one of our friends, we stayed until after dinner. We visited a number of families after dinner; were rejected 3 times. At night we went into Indiana, where we joined Elders Ashby and Barber and held a meeting together. While one of the Elders was preaching, an old man began to ask questions. He just told him to wait until the close. We had quite a time with him. After we got through, the people were all hooting him because we got the best of him; stayed with Bro. Sweany.

Friday, May 11, 1900 (Indiana, Ellis Co.)

We left Bro. Sweany’s quite early, going down into the main road where we found Elders Ashby and Call. We all went off in the woods and stayed together until 12 o’clock talking upon one thing and another. We held prayers and started for our other elders. Elder Call and Barber walked 6 miles with us as they were going to Garrett to get some mail that they had there. We all went into Palmer together where we separated. We started west towards the other elders. Night came on. We sought for entertainment. Were refused once. Bro. Osborne took us in and gave us good treatment. We had a good talk with him, then retiring to rest we slept good.

Saturday, May 12, 1900 (Palmer, Ellis Co.)

We had a good night’s rest and a hearty breakfast, after which we thanked the kind lady and were on our way. We walked 11 miles and about 11 a.m. we reached Waxahachie where we received some mail from Pres. Hunsaker and home. We then started west to find the elders; had not gone but half a mile when a wagon came along. We rode about 6 miles then turning to the right, we stopped on a branch to wash our feet. The elders came along so we did not have to hunt long. After talking for a while Elder Anderson and I went one way and Elder Ashby and Horn the other. We stayed with a family that treated us like kings. Had a long talk with them but could not convince them.

Sunday, May 13, 1900

We rested fine during the night although there were a few bedbugs that bothered us. After eating a fine breakfast we wrote a letter apiece, then thanking the kind folks for their good treatment, we left them walking over to the Methodist church where we attended their Sunday School. It was nothing but confusion. The teacher was talking and all of his students together. After this was out a preacher took up his meeting and only held 25 minutes. We then went and got into an old schoolhouse where we spent the rest of the day. At 5 p.m. we went to Bro. Dunaway’s where we stayed overnight and were treated like kings. Rested very good; nice and cool.

Monday, May 14, 1900

We were treated like kings; had the best to eat and a fine bed to sleep on. After breakfast we left them, going toward Waxahachie. We canvassed all the houses that were along the roadside till we came nearly to town. Then there was a wagon that came along. I asked him if we couldn’t ride in with him. He granted us this favor. I got me a shirt while there then, coming back to a creek, we had a good wash. We got permission of the trustees to hold a meeting in the schoolhouse. It began raining a while before dark, making the black mud very disagreeable to walk on, as we would carry it with us. We stayed with one of the trustees who treated us fine. We had a good rest.

Tuesday, May 15, 1900 (Falls Community, Ellis Co.)

The weather was very bad; rained nearly all night. It was late before we ate breakfast. When we started we had to wallow through considerable of mud. We went to the schoolhouse where we stayed until noon then, going to Mr. James, we got our dinner and had a long talk with him. We then went on visiting the houses but it was raining and could not do much. We also had a meeting appointed but the rain spoiled it. We came to one place and told them who we were. Well, they said, it is not very often that we see preachers tramping through the mud that way. We stayed with a man by the name of King.

Wednesday, May 16, 1900

The weather was still damp and cloudy. The man we stayed with was not very friendly. He would throw up every old thing that he had heard about the Mormons. He treated us very good. After breakfast we left, going out to a bridge where we were going to meet Elders Ashby and Horn. We talked together until 10 a.m. when we went out into the woods and held prayers, then bidding each other goodby, we left them for Italy where we reached about 5 o’clock. We stopped in the post office for a short time, then going out to Bro. Regeon’s where we stayed overnight. Had a good time with him; didn’t sleep very good in the night.

Thursday, May 17, 1900 (Italy, Ellis County)

It was nice and cool when we got up and, as we had some clothes to wash out, we decided to stay over and wash them. We spoke to the man about them. After breakfast the women began washing. They did not know that we had any and we did not tell them, so after they got through we hated to ask for the kettle so our clothes did not get any washing. We spent the day reading and writing letters until nearly night. We had a shave. About sundown the men came in from their work. After eating supper we talked together until 10 o’clock and went to bed. The night was an awful long one. We rested good.

(To be continued)


1 Comment »

  1. Edje is taking a look at various aspects of the Southwestern States Mission from the diaries of several missionaries, including Elder Willard Jones — what great context for what we’ve been reading in this diary! First up, an investigation of the fasting frequency of the elders in this mission.

    Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 18, 2012 @ 8:30 pm

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI