Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Whole Year Through: Children’s Friend, 1957

Whole Year Through: Children’s Friend, 1957

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 09, 2012

I wonder if any run of the Church magazines had brighter, more colorful covers than The Children’s Friend of 1957:

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

1. I wish I knew all of those jump rope rhymes. I only recognize a few. But that’s only a few years before my time. I didn’t think they would change that much.

Comment by Carol — March 9, 2012 @ 9:11 am

2. Me, too. Jump rope with those rhymes was really popular when I was a sixth grader (not so much other years), and from time to time since then I have regretted not writing down the rhymes so I could remember them now.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — March 9, 2012 @ 9:34 am

3. Whoa. Those colors are something else. I wonder if the library has tested the covers for radioactivity.

The only jump rope rhyme I remember from my childhood is “Cinderella dressed in yella/Went upstairs to kiss her fella/Made a mistake and kissed a snake/How many doctors did it take? [One, two, three, etc..]”

Comment by Amy T — March 9, 2012 @ 10:13 am

4. Colorful, yes. Appealing, eh, not so much. I wish I had the vocabulary to explain why.

Anyhow, as I looked through the other posts in the “whole year through” series, it seems that the covers of the Friend in the 1950’s were consistently aimed at childhood themes: play, amusements, leisure, toys, holidays, etc. It’s an interesting comparison to today’s Friend covers that are decidedly more didactic in purpose.

Comment by David Y. — March 9, 2012 @ 10:15 am

5. What do you mean? These are didactic. They teach why playground equipment was banned, and rhymes for skipping rope.

Comment by The Other Clark — March 9, 2012 @ 10:46 am

6. I’ve never seen these. The design of many of these is absolutely superb and I’m saving them for discussions of graphic design. January, March, April, July, August and September are especially wonderful.

February reminds me of all the giant Valentines I made for the Primary Children’s Hospital drives. I loved making those and seeing how many pennies and nickles I could get on them or incorporate into the design.

I adored the Children’s Friend of my childhood. I could probably still list all the interesting/useful things I learned from it about Utah history/US history/world history/cooking/sewing/world culture…you name it! I still make popovers based on the recipe given in a story circa the late 60s and another story from the same era gave me the idea for a gift I’ve given to various people all my life. It was a story about a grandmother who wanted to encourage her granddaughter to knit so she gave her instructions, needles and big ball of bright rose-coloured yarn. The ball of wool was very big because wrapped inside it were various small presents (a china figurine, a wrapped candy, etc) that slowly emerged the more she knit a scarf from the ball (the scarf being the final gift!). I ALWAYS use rose-coloured yarn, too.

Comment by Mina — March 9, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

7. Thanks TOC for that link. I think the favorite here in the center of the universe was “Miss Mary Mack” which my daughters could recite for hours on end.

And we all know that playground equipment was banned because it was fun: the more fun it was, the earlier it was banned. Like the Giant Stride at Joaquin Elementary in Provo. (I just read that the Giant Stride was the first piece of playground equipment banned because it was dangerous. Mores the pity!)

Comment by Mark B. — March 9, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

8. I like all of these fun covers. I can’t remember any of them, though, because my younger sister and brother were out of Primary age.

Comment by Maurine Ward — March 9, 2012 @ 8:33 pm