Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 1 April – 16 April 1900

Without Purse or Scrip in Texas: 1 April – 16 April 1900

By: Ardis E. Parshall - March 04, 2012

(Previous installment)

Sunday, April 1, 1900 (White Rocks)

It was the first day of the month and also fast day. So we did not eat any breakfast. At 112 a.m. we walked over to the schoolhouse where there was going to be preaching by a Christian preacher. His text was to expose Mormonism but I guess he heard that we were in the country, so he didn’t come out. We went back to Bro. Sang’s, ate dinner, then I wrote a letter or two. At 6 p.m. Bro. Sang had to go to his father’s to sit up with him as he was awful sick. So we came along with him, stopped in a few minutes, then going on to Bro. Bridger’s where we stayed. It was quite late when we got there. The sister went and fixed us some supper, although we didn’t want her to. They were a fine family and treated us with the best of care.

Monday, April 2, 1900 (Walnut Grove)

The weather was quite warm. After having a good night’s rest and a good breakfast, at 8 o’clock we bid the folks goodby, starting for Rusk County. We walked for five hours, at three miles an hour, through heavy sand, until we came to Ironasa. We were awful tired when we got there. We went into the schoolhouse and took a good rest, then going on ten miles further. As night was beginning to come on, we began to seek for a place to tarry. We tried one place but were refused, so we went on about one mile further where we got in. They gave us a good supper and a good bed but my feet were so tired that I did not sleep much nor rest very good. I did nothing but roll and tumble all night. We arose early next morning finding it very cloudy.

Tuesday, April 3, 1900

I was so tired when I went to bed that I did not rest much. When we got up it was as cloudy as could be. The family did not seem to be very friendly. They gave us our breakfast but afterwards they would not bring any chairs for us to sit down on. So we left thanking them very much. So we got an early start. We went about a mile when we crossed the river into Nacogdoches County, passing through Martinsville up to Mr. Sintercum’s where we ate dinner and talked with him for a while. He wanted us to stay overnight but we had to go. We walked on six miles further to Bro. Rambin’s place where we stayed over night. The family was very friendly and gave us a good bed and we had a good night’s rest.

Wednesday, April 4, 1900 (Pisgah)

We left Bro. Rambin’s place at 8 o’clock, walking into Appleby where we posted some mail. We then went on out about three miles when we began to get tired and hot, so we sat down on a log and took a rest. We continued our journey, passing on through for six miles. We came to a man stuck on a hill. We helped him up and he then asked us to get in and ride, which we did. While he was crossing a creek he got stuck again. He and I both pulled off our shoes and got into the water and lifted the wheels so he pulled out all right. He thought it was pretty good for a preacher to do anything like that. He took us home with him where we stayed all night, had a good night’s rest and plenty to eat.

Thursday, April 5, 1900

After having a good night’s rest and arising quite early in the morning, we found the weather to be nice and cool. After eating breakfast, we bade the folks goodby, starting for Gum Springs. We passed through Sanesville, went out about two miles where we went out into the woods and held prayers. Continuing on until 1 o’clock we came to a road that was a little nearer, but Elder Morgan had forgotten the way so we were lost for a short time. We finally got straight again, coming to Bro. Sylar’s where we stopped in and found the folks all well. After resting for a while, we went on to Bro. Robertson’s and found them well. The sister fixed us a nice dinner. We met the elders and were glad to see them.

Friday, April 6, 1900 (Gum Springs, rusk County)

Having a good night’s rest and after eating breakfast, I went out and hunted through the woods and found the calf and brought it to the house or lot. Elders Hunsaker, Heward, Morgan, Ashby, and myself sat around in the house talking and singing songs until dinner was ready. Then after eating a bite I then went out with Bro. Robertson into the field and helped him finish his plowing. Coming back to the house I wrote a letter. About 4 o’clock it began to rain, kept it up until dark, when it quit. After eating supper we sang songs. The old nigger woman sang a couple that were quite nice. At 9 o’clock we held prayers and retired to rest. I slept on the floor.

Saturday, April 7, 1900

Sleeping with Pres. Hunsaker and having a good night’s rest, we arose and found all well. After breakfast I went out and hunted for Bro. Robertson’s calf but did not find it, and then came into the house and washed my head. After eating dinner we went out and played horseshoes with the elders and Bro. Robertson. It was raining a little but we had to go to the post office, so Pres. Hunsaker and I took our umbrellas and started. We had to wait about an hour for the mail but when it came we soon got through and started back. We stopped in to Bro. Newton’s and talked for a short time, then going on to Bro. Robertson’s where we stayed overnight.

Sunday, April 8, 1900

We arose as usual, went out and helped do the chores. It being Sunday, I did not eat breakfast. After reading for a while I walked over to Bro. D.H. Haskins’ and talked with them for a while, coming back through the field. I stopped in a new field and picked a chew of sweet gum, then going to Bro. Robertson’s I found Elders Heward and Ashby had got back. At dinner we had a nice stuffed chicken, which we all partook of; had a good dinner. After dinner we got our hymn books and sang songs for about two hours. The President then told us how we would travel and I was chosen to assist him and Elder Ashby. Four of us went to Bro. Haskins’. Sister Haskins had an awful sick headache. We administered to her and the pain immediately left her.

Monday, April 9, 1900

After eating breakfast we bid the family goodbye going over to Bro. Robertson’s where we packed up our grips and were ready to travel. Elder Morgan and Heward started first. They got a ride as far as Henderson with Bro. Haskins. As soon as Elder Ashby and I were ready President Hunsaker walked down the road a ways with us. We went out into the woods and held prayers together, then started on. We walked 8 miles when we came to an old friend’s place where we thought we would call in to see them for a short time; when we got to talking we stayed too long, couldn’t make the place we started for, so we concluded to lay over with them until morning. We had a good night’s rest.

Tuesday, April 10, 1900 (Pleasant Grove)

When we got up we found the weather to be awful cloudy. After eating breakfast we sat around for a while, a little afraid to start out for fear it would rain and we would get a soaking. The clouds began to break so we started. The folks invited us back to their place at any time. We had walked about 9 miles when it began to rain. We stopped into a vacant house for a while till it stopped, then going on we crossed two bridges that were a quarter of a mile each. It rained on us several times and we were wet through when we got to Sister Armvine’s place. She was a member and was glad to see us. We ate a fine supper. She had some fruit that was very good. It was the second time I had tasted any since I left home.

Wednesday, April 11, 1900 (Afton District, Cherokee County)

We were quite tired when we retired to rest but we rested fine during the night. We arose early in the morning finding the weather to be changed and was quite cold. After breakfast the boys went to work in the field. We sat around the fire talking with Sister Armvine upon different points of the gospel. She had a strong testimony of the truth of the same, because she had received her hearing by prayer and the administration of the elders. In the afternoon Elder Ashby and myself walked over their field looking at their orchard and the fine crops that were coming on. We then held prayers together and returned to the house again, eating supper after which we sang songs till bedtime.

Thursday, April 12, 1900

We arose and ate breakfast quite early and as we had a long walk to make, we continued on our way, after thanking the folks for their kindness towards us. The first town we came to was Jacksonville. We stopped and posted some mail then went on through about two miles. Outside of town we sat down and rested for a few moments. We traveled on then to the Natches River where we rested again. The weather had changed and was quite cool, and we walked along without any trouble. When we had got nearly here they had done some fencing and we got on the wrong road. Went up to Bro. Huston’s place but they had the measles so we came back to Bro. Scoggins’ where we stayed overnight. They were glad to see us.

Friday, April 13, 1900 (Liberty Hill, Henderson So.)

It was after sunup when we arose. After eating a hearty breakfast we had a long talk with Bro. Scoggins. He said that he had always read certain places in the Bible and he had never found any of the denominations that were teaching about them until he heard the Mormon Elders, and he said then that that was the church he was looking for. We then walked out over his field with him, looking at the young crop that was coming up. After dinner we walked to Bro. Taylor’s. We stopped once and talked with Henry Thurston. He wanted us to stay with him but his family had the measles. Bro. Taylor’s family was glad to see us. We had a good time, singing and playing on the organ until 10 o’clock when we retired.

Saturday, April 14, 1900

Bro. Taylor had to go to work. We went out into the field with him for a short while, then returning to the house we thought we would walk back to Brother Scoggins’ and see if Pres. Hunsaker hadn’t come. But when we got there he hadn’t come. After eating dinner, we thought we would go over to Bro. Wixom’s. They were glad to see us. At night they desired to hear us preach so we held meeting with them. Elder Ashby presided and took up most of the time. We had a very good time together, but not a very large crowd. At 10 p.m. we retired to rest, having a good night’s rest, although it was quite warm.

Sunday, April 15, 1900

It was quite cloudy when we got up and was raining a little. It being Sunday we did not eat any breakfast. After talking with the family until 10 o’clock, we decided to go back to Bro. Scoggins’ as we were anxious to know whether Pres. Hunsaker had come. We were uneasy about him; thought maybe something had happened to him as he didn’t come when we expected him. At 3 o’clock the people gathered to the schoolhouse. I presided and preached the first half hour. Elder Ashby then talked about that long. We gave out another appointment for night. We had a large crowd both times. Elder Ashby presided and preached first. We enjoyed the spirit of the Lord and had a good time.

Monday, April 16, 1900

We were up quite late so we slept till long after sunup before we got up. After eating breakfast, we walked over to Bro. Wixom’s to see if Pres. Hunsaker had come, for we had begun to get worried about him. After eating dinner I had my hair cut of the man. Got it too short and it looked quite funny. About 3 o’clock Bro. Scoggins and Taylor started horseback to hunt the lost man or to see what was the matter of him. A short while after they had gone, the clouds began to gather and in a little while it was raining. We stayed with Bro. Wixom overnight, talking upon one thing and another until 10 o’clock when we held prayers and retired to our beds of rest.

(To be continued)



  1. All I read here is that they ate a lot. Must be fast Sunday.

    Comment by Carol — March 4, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

  2. I read this and wonder if I could seriously last a day without purse or scrip.

    Comment by Sonny — March 4, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

  3. “At night they desired to hear us preach so we held meeting with them. Elder Ashby presided and took up most of the time.”

    I don’t know why, but this made me smile. I wonder if he was relieved or annoyed.

    Comment by Matt — March 7, 2012 @ 9:07 am

  4. When I read the word “grip” for suitcase, I think of my grandmother. I am really enjoying this diary.

    Comment by Jeff Johnson — March 8, 2012 @ 12:33 am

Leave a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI