Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Sugar brings you all kinds of neat stuff

Sugar brings you all kinds of neat stuff

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 29, 2012

From the Relief Society Magazine, December 1964 —

1. My mom had that white spatula in her kitchen gear for about 30 years. Might still be there.

Comment by Mommie Dearest — February 29, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

2. Isn’t it funny how those memories come back?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 29, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

3. Hey, we have a set of metal mixing bowls that looks just like that! They must have still been available a dozen years after that.

And, Teflon! That must have been very early in the history of teflon–which was going to be the wonder coating on which nothing ever stuck. (I just learned that Teflon was invented, by accident, in the late 30s, and that the first Teflon-coated pan was sold in the U.S. in 1961.)

Comment by Mark B. — February 29, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

4. Wasn’t U&I owned by the church?

Comment by reed russell — February 29, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

5. Yes — that’s a large part of the reason for the running gag of posting these old sugar ads showing all the ways they found over the years it peddle the product!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 29, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

6. Oh my. Saving labels. It seems like I have a memory of my mother doing that. Nowadays all I save are the Boxtops for the elementary school.

And wasn’t there also something called Green Stamps? Yep:

S&H Green Stamps

Comment by Researcher — February 29, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

7. In Salt Lake the stamps that were far more common than S&H were Gold Strike stamps — I remember a lot of things my mother bought with those (a hair dryer, some TV trays, a magazine rack, and after saving a massive number of books of stamps, an electric floor scrubber/washer/polisher).

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 29, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

8. Gold Strike? I remember they were gold, and my mom collected them–pasted them all into a booklet, and then sent them off for redemption. Gold Bond stamps is what Google leads to.

Maybe you got Gold Strike stamps in your cartons of Lucky Strike cigarettes. : )

Comment by Mark B. — February 29, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

9. I have a vague memory of driving with my mom to an actual redemption center to turn in the booklets for “prizes.” Kind of like turning in your tickets at Dave and Busters.

Comment by reed russell — February 29, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

10. The great god Wikipedia’s article on trading stamps does list “Gold Strike” among them, so I’m pretty sure this time I remember correctly despite the haze of cigarette advertising I grew up with …

Yes! I remember the redemption centers, too, reed.

Remember how the stamps (at least the gold ones) came in two sizes? (bonuses for dollars and cents spent, I suppose). You could either fill up a whole page in the booklet with 50 (or however many it took) of the small stamps, or paste something like 5 of the larger stamps in a column down the outside of the page. And before you put away the paper bags, you always had to check to see whether there were any stamps hiding at the bottom.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 29, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

11. I remember my mother saving both Gold Strike stamps and S&H Green stamps. In fact I saved the green stamps after I married in 1960 and there was a redemption center in Logan that I went to.

Comment by Maurine Ward — February 29, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

12. I really don’t remember Gold Strike, but in California at least, the main player seemed to be Blue Chip stamps. And I would have never remembered the two sizes with 5 in a column instead of 50 on a page unless you had mentioned it, Ardis. Funny how the mind works – or doesn’t.

Comment by reed russell — February 29, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

13. Wow, great flashbacks inspired by the comments! I haven’t thought about trading stamps in decades.

I remember my mom collecting them and then having us kids lick them and paste them in the books. I think we got both S&H green stamps and some type of gold stamps, depending on the store we went to. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s still got a half-filled book tucked away somewhere in a forgotten drawer.

Comment by lindberg — March 1, 2012 @ 11:37 am