Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1935 (2)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1935 (2)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 28, 2012

More glimpses of our people, 1935 –

Stettin, Germany, Singing Mothers  .

Aurora, Utah

Columbus, Ohio

Montreal, Canada

Winnemucca, Nevada

Cascade, Montana

YWMIA General Board

Provo (Utah) 1st Ward Deacons

1. During the 1930s,before the outbreak of World War II, the Stettin, Germany branch boasted an average attendance of between 80 to 100 people. It was quite a large branch for its time and place. During World War II, the branch lost membership–some were called into military service, others left to safer parts of the country. In 1942 the Stettin branch counted only 40-50 individuals. In 1945, with the approach of the Red Army, the branch president dissolved the branch with six people in attendance. A very sad end to a once vibrant and vigorous branch.

Comment by Steve C. — February 28, 2012 @ 7:52 am

2. Wow. That picture of the Singing Mothers in Stettin brought tears to my eyes, thinking of how they would suffer in the next few years. Thanks for the additional details, Steve C.

Comment by Researcher — February 28, 2012 @ 8:14 am

3. I think I must have felt something of the same, Steve and Researcher, when I chose to put that picture at the top where it would be seen from the blog’s front page. But then I scan down through the others and wonder what’s ahead for some of the other Saints pictured: Those tall scouts in the back row of the Berkeley picture, even many of the young deacons in the Provo picture, are going to be old enough to be pulled into the service before the war is over. Those Beehive Girls in Oahu, and the Hawaiian Sea Scouts, are going to have the war brought right to their neighborhoods. Those mothers and daughters in Ogden are going to have the worry about their sons and brothers and sweethearts. Everybody has a rough ten years ahead.

But it’s those mothers in Stettin, isn’t it, the ones who have dressed so carefully, who are mothers, who are singing, for goodness sake, that we linger over.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 28, 2012 @ 8:42 am

4. Any boy who was a deacon in 1935 would have been of age to end up in the military. My dad didn’t turn 12 until 1938, and he arrived in France, courtesy of the U.S. Army, on Christmas Day 1944.

Speaking of Stettin, I have a student this semester who’s probably in his early 20s with a German name. When I asked about it, he said that his father was from Stettin! That was interesting, since the city of that name ceased to exist after the redrawing of the German-Polish boundary after World War II. Now it’s Szczecin (although the pronunciation of that Polish name is very close to the old German name).

Comment by Mark B. — February 28, 2012 @ 9:10 am

5. I can’t help wondering if Jeff Johnson would be able to identify any of the Aurora girls and their mothers.

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 28, 2012 @ 9:48 am

6. Any chance that there were names to go with those faces of the boy scouts from Berkeley?

Comment by John — February 28, 2012 @ 11:50 am

7. ‘Fraid not, John. If they’d only realized how much it would matter to us, maybe they’d have been more exact in their documentation.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 28, 2012 @ 11:55 am

8. I grew up in Utah, and have no idea where the heck (or hie) Kolob Stake might be. Southern Utah? I can think of the Kolob Canyon section of Zion Canyon NP, but not a lot of communities in the immediate area.

Gooding, Idaho is where I spent a lot of summers working on my Uncle’s and Grandparent’s farm. However, they were not yet there in 1935, so not much chance I would know the queen or her attendants. Way too old for me anyway.

Comment by kevinf — February 28, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

9. my ex- husband has an ancestral line from Stettin, I had never heard of it until then. It was a very busy port and I believe his great great grandfather from Aberdeen married a woman from there who he met on his sea faring adventures.

Comment by Anne (UK) — February 28, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

10. Kolob Stake is actually in the Springville/Mapleton area of Utah County. I guess we can’t hie there if we don’t know where it is!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 28, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

11. Well, given the choice of spending a day in Springville or a day at Kolob Canyons, I know where I would hie.

Comment by kevinf — February 28, 2012 @ 1:59 pm

12. When I was wandering through Wikipedia to find how the Poles spell Stettin, I discovered that it’s still a busy port–Poland’s busiest.

My first memory of Stettin came in junior high school–my orchestra teacher, John (Johannes) Hilgendorff, may he rest in peace, was a native of the place.

Comment by Mark B. — February 28, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

13. I would love to be able to look closer at the photograph of the Aurora group. I tried to copy it so I could blow it up, but it did not work. I was not born yet, but I am sure I did know many of them several years later. One of the leaders looks like my grandmother.

Comment by Jeff Johnson — February 29, 2012 @ 12:10 am

14. I’ll email the picture to you, Jeff (a standing offer to anybody who spots a picture they would like to examine more carefully and attempt to sharpen or enlarge or whatever). Unfortunately, this is one that was printed in half-tones in a postage-stamp size, so it’s going to be hard to do much more with it, I think.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 29, 2012 @ 8:14 am

15. Ardis, I see my grandfather and uncle in the Berkeley scout picture. Could you email that to me?

Thanks