Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1927 (2)

Latter-day Saint Images, 1927 (2)

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 08, 2012

Fathers and Sons

Heyburn, Idaho

North Ward, Pocatello, Idaho
Sunday School

Elders A.L. Child and J.V. Stewart
Laundry Day in Mississippi

1. I like the St. Joseph, MO picture and the word “MARMON” painted on the glass behind them.

Comment by Steve C. — February 8, 2012 @ 6:59 am

2. Ha! I hadn’t noticed that!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 8, 2012 @ 7:17 am

3. The same short hairstyle for women appeared to be popular around the globe.

Comment by HokieKate — February 8, 2012 @ 7:27 am

4. My mother would have fit right in, HokieKate — she was been 6 that year, and her pictures show her with that same straight-cut bang, ear-length bob that shows so clearly in the Buenos Aires picture.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 8, 2012 @ 7:49 am

5. I don’t know why, but I am sort of surprised that they had so many visitors to Manti in the 1920s.

Comment by J. Stapley — February 8, 2012 @ 8:23 am

6. Ardis, These images are always a highlight of my day. Thanks.

Comment by Gary Bergera — February 8, 2012 @ 8:54 am

7. The laundry photo is so great!

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — February 8, 2012 @ 9:34 am

8. Thinning beets in Preston. Sweet! (Says both Napoleon Dynamite and the U&I Sugar Company)

Comment by kevinf — February 8, 2012 @ 9:58 am

9. My witty insights were already taken by previous commenters, but I just wanted to say that I’m a a Marmon, too.

I love the fathers and sons activity with all of the fathers in ties. It reminds me of a couple of pictures I have of my great-grandfather, up for an afternoon outing and picnic in the mountains, wearing his tie and suitcoat.

Comment by Matt — February 8, 2012 @ 10:48 am

10. Yes, Mormons, Mormons, everywhere! Wonderful. And I loved that photo of the elders doing their wash in a bucket. We did our laundry in buckets on my mission, too. Some things never change?

By the way, is that James Talmage in the Mission Presidents Conference photo?

Comment by David Y. — February 8, 2012 @ 11:09 am

11. David, third from the left in the front row? Looks like Talmage to me, as well.

Comment by kevinf — February 8, 2012 @ 11:12 am

12. I would say yes that is Elder Talmage in the photo, as he was the European Mission President in the late ’20’s.

Comment by Cameron — February 8, 2012 @ 11:18 am

13. Thanks for this!

BTW, “Limiers” likely should be “Liniers” in Argentina.

Comment by manaen — February 8, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

14. Fixed. Thanks, manaen.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 8, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

15. Those folks in St. Joseph, Missouri, are standing in front of an auto dealership–and it’s a wonderful coincidence that a bunch of Mormons are standing in front of a Marmon-Rickenbacker dealership, instead of, say, a boring Chevrolet-Buick one.

Marmon manufactured cars from about 1902 to 1933, had its headquarters in Indianapolis, and is perhaps most famous as the manufacturer of the Marmon Wasp*, which won the first Indy 500 in 1911. (And which, by the way, was the first car with a rear-view mirror.)

The Rickenbacker Motor Company had a shorter lifespan–from 1922 to 1928. Headquartered in Detroit, it was founded by the World War I flying ace, Eddie Rickenbacker. He had some great ideas (four-wheel brakes for safety, high powered engine for speed, and low center of gravity for passenger comfort) but the venture failed. The manufacturing equipment was sold to Audi–and for all I know was used to make my dad’s 1970 Audi.

*Not to be confused with Ab Jenkins’s car, the Mormon Meteor.

Comment by Mark B. — February 8, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

16. There are too many layers of awesome in that to count, Mark!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 8, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

17. Should I confess how little of that I knew without the help of Google? Will that peel away a few layers?

Comment by Mark B. — February 8, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

18. Naah, you should never reveal your sources. : )

Comment by Amy T — February 8, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

19. I love all of these photos Ardis. I’m pretty sure one of the Missionaries on the middle row of the Manti Temple Missionary one is my grandfather. Awesome memories of his service in Sanpete.

Comment by Colleen Willis — February 8, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

20. Three hits for me on this one. My first area on my mission was Liniers in Buenos Aires. And, for my last family reunion, we went to that cave in Idaho Falls. It’s a lava tube that was more than 20 miles long until they blasted it to block it at about 1/4 mile. The entrance is just a hole in the ground, and above it is the flat, sagebrush desert and lava flow. Invisible until you walk right up to it. I’m sure it was really something to explore back then.

We put glow stick juice into Mento and Diet Coke fountains in there.

Comment by Carol — February 8, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

21. We put glow stick juice into Mento and Diet Coke fountains in there.

Talk about your layers of awesome!! Video, please!

Comment by kevinf — February 9, 2012 @ 10:14 am