Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Mission History, 1949: Latin America

Mission History, 1949: Latin America

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 06, 2012

A short lesson in the history of missionary work in Latin America, presented to the children of the Church in 1949:

Research by Edith S. Patrick; drawings by Jerry Sein.

1. When I was in Buenos Aires, the members talked about Rey L. Pratt kind of like their pioneer ancestor. Most of the hymns were translated by him. But I don’t think it was basketball that they played at M.I.A!

Comment by Carol — February 6, 2012 @ 9:02 am

2. That image kind of jumps out of the others, doesn’t it?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 6, 2012 @ 10:34 am

3. This is great.

Comment by The Other Clark — February 6, 2012 @ 11:00 am

4. Good, ’cause there’s a whole series of similar posts on the other missions to come.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 6, 2012 @ 11:34 am

5. Yeah, this was fun. I’d be interested in seeing the others.

Comment by David Y. — February 6, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

6. Ardis, one of my old mission presidents, Hugo Salvioli, has a couple of accounts up that may interest those reading this post. Salvioli was baptized in 1939 at age 10 in the Rio de La Plata.

This first one deals with the first two years of the Church in La Plata, Argentina, starting with the arrival of missionaries in 1937. (link)

Next is his account of President McKay’s visit to Argentina in 1955. (link)

There was a website I came across years ago with lots of photos and programs from the first couple decades of the La Plata branch, but I can’t find it at the moment.

Comment by John Mansfield — February 7, 2012 @ 5:36 am

7. John, those articles are wonderful. What a great historian. I have been to some of those places. Thank you.

Comment by Carol — February 7, 2012 @ 8:52 am

8. The first one is quite something. We more often read about these things from the perspective of the missionaries, but this one is from an old man who was a boy watching them. He quotes from a notebook he kept as a nine-year-old secretary of the missionaries’ Primary and never threw away. Not every day you come across a Mormon boy so much like Mormon as a boy.

Comment by John Mansfield — February 7, 2012 @ 9:54 am

9. What the heck is “fine, clean manhood?” I hope the picture that immediately comes to mind is just my own gutter. ;-)

What would a child in 1949 have understood it to be?

Julia