Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » The Kiss

The Kiss

By: Ardis E. Parshall - February 02, 2012

The Kiss

By Theodore E. Curtis

A shy little miss, mighty easy to kiss,
Met Jim at the foot of the mountain;
But I scorn to advance what I saw at a glance,
Through the silvery spray of the fountain!
But I saw that she saw that he saw that I saw,
And he saw that she saw that I saw it;
So I know that she knows that he knows that I know,
And he knows that she knows that I know it.

(1918)

1. Maybe it’s just the meter, but methinks Mr. Curtis had been listening to a bit of Gilbert and Sullivan as he made this one up. It’s only a pity that he ran out of the subject before he’d wandered on for five stanzas!

Comment by Mark B. — February 2, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

2. One poem that was submitted to the New Era while I worked there was so horribly bad that I had to save it to my own computer to laugh at. The submitter must not have known what audience the New Era is for . . . the poem was about an orgasm.

Comment by Michelle Glauser — February 2, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

3. Oh. My.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 2, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

4. If this weren’t a family blog, this thread could become really funny very soon.

Comment by Mark B. — February 2, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

5. But, the real trick is to not think of this poem whenever you sing “Awake and Arise” or “Come Unto Him” or “Lean On My Ample Arm” or “Again, Our Dear Redeeming Lord” in church the next time.

Ok, ok. I know nobody ever sings the last two of those, and most people don’t sing the others very much, or didn’t until Elder Packer made that second one popular a few years ago. Still (or should I write “Stilly”?) they’re all written by the same Theodore E. Curtis.

Comment by Mark B. — February 2, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

6. The Gossip

A nosy dame with a dreaded name
    Watched Mark from her parlor window,
    And I fear to reveal what I cannot conceal:
    But she told all she thought she saw him do.
    And I heard that she heard that he heard that I heard,
    And he heard that she heard that I heard it;
    So I know that she knows that he knows that I know,
    And he knows that she knows that I know it.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — February 2, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

7. Bravo!

We should have a Gilbert & Sullivan-themed Keepa Snacker sometime. How about this weekend. Ardis’s place. : )

Comment by Researcher — February 2, 2012 @ 3:49 pm