Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Topical Guide Is Back

Topical Guide Is Back

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 11, 2011

The Topical Guide is back up, thanks to the efforts of J. Stapley, D.E. (I’d love to announce your name, D., but I haven’t asked your permission), and many late-night hours of my own this week. There are still a few tweaks to make but it’s usable now. Due to all the manual processing involved, you may find a few links that don’t work – please report those so I can fix them. Whew!

The Topical Guide, if you haven’t noticed before, is always available through a link near the top of the sidebar, and is a convenient to find all the parts of a series or multi-chapter story, or to relocate something that you remember reading. Or, if you’ve been assigned to give a talk or lesson and want to build it around, say, the story of one of our lesser-known Latter-day Saints, you can skim the list of posts under Latter-day Saint Lives and be reminded of a suitable story.

I suspect that Latter-day Saint Lives may be the most used part of the Topic Guide. Three other categories that might be useful:

“Doing” History – posts about doing family history, or solving historical problems, or evaluating evidence
The Mormon Past – posts about specific events or moments in history
Mormon Life and Culture – posts about more general topics, not tied to a specific event

In this iteration of the Topical Guide I’ve split out the lesson series and other multi-part series where each part has its own title. I’ve also grouped the sugar advertisements together … you know, for the convenience of somebody who … well … just because.

It isn’t always easy to decide where to list a post, and I suspect you probably use the Ctrl-F search feature of your computer anyway.

So, there it is. And I’m going to get a full night’s sleep tonight, for a change!

1. Whew, I bet that will feel good! Thank you for your dedication!

Comment by Ellen — November 11, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

2. Congratulations, and thanks to J. Stapley and D. E. for your knowledge and willingness to help.

Comment by Maurine Ward — November 12, 2011 @ 2:37 am

3. Wow. I hope you have that and your whole web site backed up to multiple copies, on CD’s, DVD’s, SD cards, thumb-drives, and Carbonite.

Comment by Bookslinger — November 12, 2011 @ 8:46 am

4. In honor of this restoration (!) I’ve been busily exploring the Topical Guide, looking for things related to my families’ experience in early Utah (and I’ve already found a couple of interesting lead to pursue).

A hearty thank-you from this amateur family historian!

Comment by SLK — November 12, 2011 @ 9:20 am

5. Thanks, Maurine.

Books, I’m working on it. The last three donors who used the Donate button in the sidebar paid for an upgrade at Dropbox large enough to hold the Keepa files — muchas gracias, amigos.

SLK, glad to hear it. If anything here does lead to a family history discovery, please consider writing a guest post that explains what you did and how. It would tickle me to know it, and should give other readers good ideas.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 12, 2011 @ 9:38 am

6. I love the TG! Sorry I couldn’t help. I am thrilled to note there is an inadvertent and wonderful typo in that on my one guest piece, my last name is spelled “Vaughan” with the extra “a.” That’s the original spelling of my ancestors (at least once they got anglicized from the Welsh “Fychan”) and how they spelled it on my reader card at Powys and Hereford Archives on my visit. I love it when that happens! (Don’t fix it.)

Comment by Grant — November 12, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

7. Oh, Grant, &#%@!! — I remember the post you did on that, and even thought about it when I typed your name from memory … remembering the wrong way! Sorry. (You really don’t want it fixed? or are you just being nice?)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 12, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

8. Wow, Ardis. That is simply amazing to look over the content that you’ve created. Some of this should be published in book form. Seriously. Especially your Latter-day Saint Lives.

Thanks to J. and D.E., and thank you, Ardis, for several years of good reading and good discussions.

Comment by Researcher — November 12, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

9. Great news!

Comment by David Y. — November 12, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

10. Seriously, Ardis. I like it that way. I’ve been typing so many ancestor names like that I often slip myself. You do have it with the usual spelling (and what appears on my birth certificate – long form) in the actual posting so it’s just fine – besides, it helps confuse the cyber-stalkers.

Comment by Grant — November 12, 2011 @ 3:32 pm