Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1924 (2) — Women’s (mostly) Edition

Latter-day Saint Images, 1924 (2) — Women’s (mostly) Edition

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 11, 2011

A scrapbook page from 1924, featuring women of the Church –

Atlanta, Mexico (Ozumha Conference) . . .
Relief Society . . .

Basel Switzerland
Relief Society

BYU Leadership Week (now called Education Week)
Day Nursery

Papeete, Tahiti, Relief Society Presidency
(left to right:) Taumatagi a Mariteragi, 1st counselor; Terai a Tefanau, president;
Katupu Tehima a Turoa, 2nd counselor

Beehive Girls of Seattle, Washington

Orangeville, Utah, Beehive Girls

Palo Alto, California

Laie, Hawaii
Beehive Girls

Los Angeles Stake Beekeepers

Granite Stake (Salt Lake City)
“Hawthorne Blossoms” Variety Show

Cardston, Alberta
MIA Senior Girls

Boise, Idaho, Beehive Girls

Honolulu, Hawaii
Beehive Girls

Salt Lake City
YLMIA Band

Alberta Stake, Canada
Lawn Party on Temple Grounds

Hilo, Hawaii
Beehive Girls

1. Beekeepers! That’s a great title. The girls’ brass band is great, but unexpected. This series is always one of my favorites.

Comment by The Other Clark — November 11, 2011 @ 10:50 am

2. The Golden Gleaners were 18+ right? I believe both of my grandmothers were in the Pioneer Stake in 1924. One was 21 and the other was 23.

Comment by Bruce Crow — November 11, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

3. “Cassia Stake, Idaho” – My grandmother was born in Burley in 1912, and it would be awesome to be able to join the ranks of those who’ve recognized family members in these wonderful photo posts! While it’s hard to make out details of the young women’s faces, I see one or two at least that might be her (or her older sisters, born in 1908 and 1910).

Comment by SLK — November 11, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

4. Yes, Bruce — The upper age was an absolute cut-off at the 30th birthday; the lower age was 18-ish: out of high school, or married, or otherwise more of a young adult than a teenager. The Gleaners in the funny hats might have been performing at some event your grandmothers took part in!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 11, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

5. I like the name, too, TOClark — so much more imaginative than most.

SLK, I just can’t sharpen, or even add contrast, to the photo any more than I have to make it any more legible. In a moment I’ll email it to you in case you have better skills at cleaning up photos. Would really like you to be able to recognize them, if they’re there.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 11, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

6. Thanks, Ardis, I just received (and replied to) your email. :-)

Comment by SLK — November 11, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

7. Beehive Girls at Fish Lake — in an overloaded boat. I count at least nine. Looks like they had lifejackets but Fish Lake is always very cold. I guess they did OK.

Comment by CurtA — November 11, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

8. Most of those girls (and women) have short hair. At least we were on trend.

Comment by Jeannine L. — November 11, 2011 @ 5:31 pm