Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » ’Ninny-Sourcing: Can You Help Me Out? — UPDATED

’Ninny-Sourcing: Can You Help Me Out? — UPDATED

By: Ardis E. Parshall - November 06, 2011

[The request in this post has been superseded overnight, but I'm going to leave it up just to show you how kind readers have been to jump in and help. Thank you all -- but there's no need for this tedious labor now.]

Probably because it was well over 100 pages in length, with thousands of links, and saved hundreds of times so that the “revisions” feature of WordPress balked, Keepa’s Topical Guide file has become corrupted and cannot be retrieved. It will take me weeks of free time to reconstruct it (I’ve already started).

If any of you have some free time and are willing to help me out on this project, here is how you could do it:

1. Post a comment identifying a month (anything from November 2008 through October 2011) to work on. Claiming your month should prevent duplication of work.

2. Go to that month’s posts by entering the URL: http://www.keepapitchinin.org/yyyy/mm

For example, to reach June 2010, type http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2010/06; to reach March 2009, type http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2009/03. That will take you to the page showing what was posted during that month, beginning with the last post of the month.

3. Type a list of titles for every post published that month, one after another, from last day of the month to first day of the month. It is important that you type the titles in order, last to first. Copy the capitalization and any punctuation. For example:

Righteous Gentiles
Wizard of the Wasatch (Utah history)
Fisher Sanford Harris: Non-Mormon Peacemaker in Zion
Catherine Garber Laine: The Role of Her Lifetime
Of Massacres and Misinformation
More 19th Century Knock Knock Jokes
Tracting in Newark, New Jersey, 1905

4. Even that much will save me many hundreds of lines of typing.

If you really want to go the extra mile, you could do one more thing. Click on each post for your month, and copy and paste the URL of that post on a separate line directly above the title:

[Edit: I don't know why these are displaying with a blank line between URL and title; there is no blank line in the editing screen! In any case, it would be best for me if you enter a blank line between posts, but no blank line between URL and title.]

Righteous Gentiles

Wizard of the Wasatch (Utah history)

Fisher Sanford Harris: Non-Mormon Peacemaker in Zion

Catherine Garber Laine: The Role of Her Lifetime

Of Massacres and Misinformation

More 19th Century Knock Knock Jokes

Tracting in Newark, New Jersey, 1905

5. Email the list to me, in Word, WordPerfect, or Rich Text (.rtf) format, at keepapitchinin [at] aol [dot] com.

6. Lather, rinse, repeat, if you care to.

My gratitude will know no bounds.

1. I’ll take November 2008.

Comment by David Y. — November 6, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

2. Yay! Thanks.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 6, 2011 @ 10:57 pm

3. And I’ll start on December 2008.

Comment by EmiG — November 6, 2011 @ 10:10 pm

4. Oh man! I use that topical guide all the time! I’ll take December 2008. It probably won’t be done until tomorrow though, hope that’s alright.

Comment by Meghan — November 6, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

5. Brava, Meghan! I’m hoping to have the new TG up and running in a couple of weeks, not overnight.

There’s no need for anybody (but me) to lose sleep over this — just doing what you can do over the next ten days or so, even if you find you don’t have time to work on more than a week or two of posts, moves us that much closer to getting it back up.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 6, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

6. I’m going to make some adjustments, by the way, to avoid this problem in the future. I’ll break out a few categories, like the lesson series, so that when you click on the link to a series, it takes you to a subpage where you can then select a specific lesson within that series. That’s an additional step on your part, but it will remove hundreds of lines and links to subpages and help keep the main page to a manageable level.

I’ll probably do that to the individual chapters of fiction serials, and Funny Bones, and the Book of Mormon cartoons, and the magazine cover art. I’ll try to leave all the individual posts with distinctive titles on the main page so that it won’t interfere with searching.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 6, 2011 @ 10:34 pm

7. I’ll take January 2009.

Comment by Coffinberry — November 6, 2011 @ 10:34 pm

8. And I suppose this would also be a good time to ask if there are any other divisions you would like, or any other improvements to the TG that you want to ask for. I’d like to break up the two monster categories of “Mormon Life and Culture” and “The Mormon Past,” if you have suggestions for divisions.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 6, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

9. Thanks, Coffinberry. This is getting underway better than I could have hoped!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 6, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

10. Ardis – Meghan and I cross-posted claiming December 2008. I just finished it and emailed it to you, but can you get a hold of Meghan so she doesn’t put too much time in on it? (Or, if you’re reading this, Meghan, stop doing Dec 2008!) :)

Comment by EmiG — November 6, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

11. August 2011

Ardis, do you want us to email you the results direct or copy them in as a new message?

Comment by David M. Morris — November 6, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

12. Durrrr okay I see #5 ….

Comment by David M. Morris — November 6, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

13. September and October 2011

Comment by David M. Morris — November 7, 2011 @ 12:48 am

14. I’ll take September and October 2010.

A worthwhile service project!

Comment by Ben Park — November 7, 2011 @ 3:05 am

15. And this is all further proof of my oft-made claim that Keepa’s readers are the best in the bloggernacle! Thanks.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 7, 2011 @ 7:38 am

16. February 2009

Comment by Last Lemming — November 7, 2011 @ 7:45 am

17. I’ll do January 2010 and 2011.

Comment by SilverRain — November 7, 2011 @ 8:03 am

18. EmiG, your comments were caught in the filter. I’ll get in touch with Meaghan right away. Thanks.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 7, 2011 @ 8:05 am

19. Sent them, so let me know if you don’t get them.

Comment by SilverRain — November 7, 2011 @ 8:23 am

20. Way to be on the ball, Ardis and EmiG. It doesn’t look like anyone has claimed October 2009 yet so save that one for me :)

Comment by Meghan — November 7, 2011 @ 8:39 am

21. Looks like March 2009 hasn’t been claimed yet, so I’ll take that.

Comment by Bruce Crow — November 7, 2011 @ 9:50 am

22. Thank you all for your prompt and generous help.

A reader with computer programming skills, though, created a webcrawler overnight that pulled out all this date, obviating the need for manual work by anyone. Thank you for your willingness to help, but it’s now no longer needed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — November 7, 2011 @ 10:00 am