Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » “What’s for Dinner, Hon?” “Sugar, Dear.”

“What’s for Dinner, Hon?” “Sugar, Dear.”

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 28, 2011

From 1946 –

1. If I’ve posted this link before, please delete this. (I suggest there be at least one link to this lecture from one of your blog posts on sugar. But my short-term memory doesn’t work well.)

A doctor talks about the medical/health problem with too much fructose, which is 1/2 of the sugar molecule sucrose.

What impressed me was the part of how the liver treats fructose much like alcohol, giving off most of the same toxins when it metabolizes fructose as it does alcohol.

Second impressive thing was that fructose in the form of real fruit, with the fiber, mitigates the bad effect, binding the fructose until it gets to the colon.

And, please Ardis, you won’t offend me for deleting this if you feel it inappropriate, or if I’ve posted this before.

Comment by Bookslinger — October 28, 2011 @ 11:29 am

2. What’s in that jar? Sugar Bees? Turnips? Albino peppers?

Comment by kevinf — October 28, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

3. Sorry, Sugar Beets!

Comment by kevinf — October 28, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

4. Your comments and link are just fine, Books — thanks.

I think they’re potatoes, kevinf. Not sure, though. They aren’t peaches or pears, fershur.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 28, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

5. Yuck! And why? Potatoes store just fine in a root cellar raw, you know. I can’t think of a single appetizing food combining potatoes and sugar.

For the sake of my stomach, I’m just going to pretend that they’re pears!

Comment by The Other Clark — October 28, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

6. At first glance I THOUGHT they (it?) were be peaches; canned by my family ( just 6 brother & sisters then plus grandparents, mom and dad) so shapes attributed to many different peelers, using peelers, paring and/or steak knives to take the skin and bruises out of a variety of very big and little peaches. And we did get some very LARGE peaches one year.
    But they could have been pears. I refuse to wrap my mind around potatoes in sugar…

Comment by Diane Peel — October 28, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

7. Dittos to TOC and Diane P. Methinks pears. It’s gotta be some kind of fruit, or candy-able vegetable.

Comment by Bookslinger — October 28, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

8. Utah & Idaho Sugar Company eventually were in sugar AND potatoes. Perhaps they weren’t advertising sugary potatoes, but instead the staples of sugar and potatoes that families would be wanting.
    Rationing from WWII didn’t end until 1946 (sugar was rationed) so feeding a family had been stressful for a few years. Perhaps this ad is trying to tap into the relief that YES, there will be enough potatoes and sugar to feed your family due to this wonderful company called U and I.

Comment by jks — October 29, 2011 @ 11:09 pm

9. Hadn’t thought of that, jks — I like that possibility. Try as I might, I can’t make that a jar of pears. And although I really searched, I couldn’t find any evidence of using sugar syrup to can potatoes. But your theory makes sense — now I have to find evidence that they were into potatoes that early. Thanks.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 30, 2011 @ 7:44 am