Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Conference Wordles! October 2011

Conference Wordles! October 2011

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 13, 2011

Another Conference, another Wordle game, courtesy of wordle.net! I’ve run pieces of Conference (talks, songs, business, anything from any session is fair game) through the program, which generated these images. Words that are used most often appear in the largest type. Your part is to identify the talk and speaker or the hymn or other bit of business represented by each puzzle. See this link for a list of speakers and talk titles, music, etc.

As usual, please solve only one or two puzzles, allowing readers who come along later to play along.

My internet access is a little iffy, but as often as I can get through I’ll acknowledge your correct solutions and every once in a while will post a list showing what’s been solved and what’s still up for grabs.

UPDATE: The full solution can be found in comment #39. If you want to play along, though, be careful not to look at the comments because there are intermediate solutions throughout. Thanks for playing! We’ll do it again in six months.

10:

19:

20:

21:

22:

23:

24:

1. Love the wordles, Ardis!

#3: Elder Cook: The Songs They Could Not Sing

Comment by Paul — October 13, 2011 @ 6:53 am

2. How fun!

#7. Elaine S. Dalton’s talk to fathers of Young Women.

#9. Praise to the Man!!

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — October 13, 2011 @ 7:32 am

3. I’m guessing that #7 is: Elaine S. Dalton, Love her Mother.

Comment by Aaron R. — October 13, 2011 @ 7:49 am

4. #2 I think that’s Elder Holland, Priesthood Session)

#12 Elder Ballard, Sunday a.m.

This is fun and I have pretty good notes, but I’ve got to get to work. Maybe I’ll finish them off tonight.

[edited -- in order to give later-comers a chance to play, please solve only one or two (publicly, that is -- of course you're welcome to solve them all privately and see how well you do when all answers are up. -- AEP]

Comment by Grant — October 13, 2011 @ 8:19 am

5. I’m guessing #1 is Sister Thompson’s talk from the Relief Society session.

Comment by Keri Brooks — October 13, 2011 @ 9:30 am

6. And we’re off to a great start, with correct solutions all the way around! (Note that ChocolateOMC’s comment was caught in the filter and not visible when Aaron R. solved his puzzle.)

So far:

1. Barbara Thompson – “Cleave unto the Covenants”
    2. Jeffrey R. Holland – “We Are All Enlisted”
    3. Quentin L. Cook – “The Songs They Could Not Sing”
    7. Elaine S. Dalton, “Love Her Mother”
    9. Praise to the Man
    10.
    11.
    12. M. Russell Ballard – “The Importance of a Name”
    13.
    14.
    15.
    16.
    17.
    18.
    19.
    20.
    21.
    22.
    23.
    24.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 13, 2011 @ 9:44 am

7. 18 and 24 are hymns, the only things my memory is good enough to spot. “Consider the Lilies” is 18, and I’ll leave 24 to someone else.

Comment by Mark B. — October 13, 2011 @ 9:59 am

8. Yup, Mark, on both points.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 13, 2011 @ 10:02 am

9. Oops. Sorry I didn’t pay enough attention to the rules. Story of my life. I guess that’s why I have to keep paying attention to Conference every six months.

Comment by Grant — October 13, 2011 @ 10:14 am

10. No problem!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 13, 2011 @ 10:31 am

11. I see a crow in number 22. That would be Elder Packer’s talk from Saturday morning where he quoted the nice Ciardi poem. (And for anyone new to his poetry, that’s said “Char-dee.”)

Comment by Researcher — October 13, 2011 @ 10:32 am

12. Number 20 is Elder Bednar’s talk about getting youth involved in Family History.

(I was hunting for Elder Uchtdorf’s priesthood session talk… but it wasn’t there. Sidetrack: Does anyone here know if the 1941 meeting was the first time Elder Lee had visited then stake president Kimball’s home/stake? I’m wondering if maybe he had previously visited in 1940, also, prior to becoming an Apostle? If so, then the Church Welfare committee had been working with the Safford Arizona stake on welfare issues for some time? If anyone knows the answer, please email me privately at liz “AT” osbornhome “DOT” us. Thanks!)

Comment by Coffinberry — October 13, 2011 @ 10:45 am

13. #5 is the hymn We Ever Pray for Thee
    #14 is Elder Hales’ talk.

Comment by Julie — October 13, 2011 @ 10:53 am

14. Right on all counts!

1. Barbara Thompson – “Cleave unto the Covenants”
    2. Jeffrey R. Holland – “We Are All Enlisted”
    3. Quentin L. Cook – “The Songs They Could Not Sing”
    5. We Ever Pray for Thee
    7. Elaine S. Dalton, “Love Her Mother”
    9. Praise to the Man
    10.
    11.
    12. M. Russell Ballard – “The Importance of a Name”
    13.
    14. Robert D. Hales – “Waiting Upon the Lord”
    15.
    16.
    17.
    18. Consider the Lilies
    19.
    20. David A. Bednar – “The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn”
    21.
    22. Boyd K. Packer – “Counsel to Youth”
    23.
    24.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 13, 2011 @ 10:56 am

15. Okay — if we can solve two (I didn’t read the rules either, Grant) I’ll take Mark B.’s hint and identify #24 as “Come, Ye Children of the Lord.” That’s one of my favorite congregational hymns to play. (At tempo! I’m sure there are a few things worse than having to sing congregational hymns below tempo, but I can’t think of any of them right now.)

Comment by Researcher — October 13, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

16. #10 would be Elder Yamashita’s talk on the treasure missionaries are. He told the story of the missionary who wore his father’s coat when he served his mission to Japan, just as his father had worn the coat.

I’ve enjoyed your puzzles in the past and decided to join in today.

Comment by Bessie — October 13, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

17. Two more winners! Thanks for playing. I especially like it when you mention how you recognized a wordle or what you enjoyed about the talk.

1. Barbara Thompson – “Cleave unto the Covenants”
    2. Jeffrey R. Holland – “We Are All Enlisted”
    3. Quentin L. Cook – “The Songs They Could Not Sing”
    5. We Ever Pray for Thee
    7. Elaine S. Dalton – “Love Her Mother”
    9. Praise to the Man
    10. Kazuhiko Yamashita – “Missionaries Are a Treasure of the Church”
    11.
    12. M. Russell Ballard – “The Importance of a Name”
    13.
    14. Robert D. Hales – “Waiting Upon the Lord”
    15.
    16.
    17.
    18. Consider the Lilies
    19.
    20. David A. Bednar – “The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn”
    21.
    22. Boyd K. Packer – “Counsel to Youth”
    23.
    24. Come Ye Children of the Lord

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 13, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

18. I’m going to go with #4 being Christoffersons “Divine Gift of Repentance” and #6 Uchtdorfs “You Matter to Him” (does anyone else use the word “pilot” so often in a talk?)

:) Cool wordles, Ardis

Comment by Frank Pellett — October 13, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

19. Okay, since no one else has guessed on the last half here’s my stab at two more.

#13 Elder Matthew O. Richardson “Teaching After the Manner of the Spirit” (total guess here)

#15 Elder Neil L. Andersen “Children” (one of my top three favorite talks from this conference!)

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — October 13, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

20. Bingo on all. ChocolateOMC, if your guesses are always that good, I’m taking you to Las Vegas with me.

1. Barbara Thompson – “Cleave unto the Covenants”
    2. Jeffrey R. Holland – “We Are All Enlisted”
    3. Quentin L. Cook – “The Songs They Could Not Sing”
    4. D. Todd Christofferson – “The Divine Gift of Repentance”
    5. We Ever Pray for Thee
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorft – “You Matter to Him”
    7. Elaine S. Dalton – “Love Her Mother”
    9. Praise to the Man
    10. Kazuhiko Yamashita – “Missionaries Are a Treasure of the Church”
    11.
    12. M. Russell Ballard – “The Importance of a Name”
    13. Matthew O. Richardson – “Teaching after the Manner of the Spirit”
    14. Robert D. Hales – “Waiting Upon the Lord”
    15. Neil L. Anderson – “Children”
    16.
    17.
    18. Consider the Lilies
    19.
    20. David A. Bednar – “The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn”
    21.
    22. Boyd K. Packer – “Counsel to Youth”
    23.
    24. Come Ye Children of the Lord

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 13, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

21. Since I only took one before I’ll try another:

#19: Dallin Oaks, Teachings of Jesus.

I’m not sure anyone else used Jesus’ name as many times in one talk as Elder Oaks did this time around.

Comment by Paul — October 13, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

22. You’re right, Paul (about #19, I mean; I can’t vouch for the statistical part …)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 13, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

23. #23 is Elder Scott, because he said “Jeanene”. Heh heh.

Comment by Jeannine L. — October 13, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

24. Right-o, Jeannine. He said it, even if he did misspell it!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 13, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

25. I’ll pass you up on the Babylon (Las Vegas) offer, Ardis. Thanks anyway! I prefer to stay here on our ranch in Winnemucca as far away from Babylon and Sodom & Gomorrah (Reno & Carson City) as possible! :)

{{just a little small town Mormon Nevadan humor}}

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — October 13, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

26. #21 is Elder Carl B Cook and his story of President Monson greeting him in the elevator and telling him to look up.

Comment by mahana — October 13, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

27. That’s the one, mahana.

1. Barbara Thompson – “Cleave unto the Covenants”
    2. Jeffrey R. Holland – “We Are All Enlisted”
    3. Quentin L. Cook – “The Songs They Could Not Sing”
    4. D. Todd Christofferson – “The Divine Gift of Repentance”
    5. We Ever Pray for Thee
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorft – “You Matter to Him”
    7. Elaine S. Dalton – “Love Her Mother”
    9. Praise to the Man
    10. Kazuhiko Yamashita – “Missionaries Are a Treasure of the Church”
    11.
    12. M. Russell Ballard – “The Importance of a Name”
    13. Matthew O. Richardson – “Teaching after the Manner of the Spirit”
    14. Robert D. Hales – “Waiting Upon the Lord”
    15. Neil L. Anderson – “Children”
    16.
    17.
    18. Consider the Lilies
    19. Dallin H. Oaks – “Teachings of Jesus”
    20. David A. Bednar – “The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn”
    21. Carl B. Cook – “It Is Better to Look Up”
    22. Boyd K. Packer – “Counsel to Youth”
    23. Richard G. Scott – “The Power of Scripture”
    24. Come Ye Children of the Lord

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 14, 2011 @ 10:21 am

28. Ooo, ooo — I want to answer another one, but I’ve already done two. May I go again, please?

Comment by Paul — October 14, 2011 @ 10:49 am

29. Be my guest — after all this time, anybody who wants to play has had a chance.

Anyway who wants to answer another puzzle or two, please do!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 14, 2011 @ 10:58 am

30. #8: Henry B Eyring, A Witness (it was that word University that tipped me off…)

Comment by Paul — October 14, 2011 @ 11:45 am

31. You da man, Paul. I like it when readers tell what clues tipped them off.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 14, 2011 @ 11:52 am

32. #11 Elder Perry “Perfect Love Casteth Out Fear” These are so fun!

Comment by mahana — October 14, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

33. That’s right (and I’m glad!)

Only a couple of the harder ones to solve now —

1. Barbara Thompson – “Cleave unto the Covenants”
    2. Jeffrey R. Holland – “We Are All Enlisted”
    3. Quentin L. Cook – “The Songs They Could Not Sing”
    4. D. Todd Christofferson – “The Divine Gift of Repentance”
    5. We Ever Pray for Thee
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorft – “You Matter to Him”
    7. Elaine S. Dalton – “Love Her Mother”
    8. Henry B. Eyring – “A Witness”
    9. Praise to the Man
    10. Kazuhiko Yamashita – “Missionaries Are a Treasure of the Church”
    11. L. Tom Perry – “Perfect Love Casteth Out Fear”
    12. M. Russell Ballard – “The Importance of a Name”
    13. Matthew O. Richardson – “Teaching after the Manner of the Spirit”
    14. Robert D. Hales – “Waiting Upon the Lord”
    15. Neil L. Anderson – “Children”
    16.
    17.
    18. Consider the Lilies
    19. Dallin H. Oaks – “Teachings of Jesus”
    20. David A. Bednar – “The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn”
    21. Carl B. Cook – “It Is Better to Look Up”
    22. Boyd K. Packer – “Counsel to Youth”
    23. Richard G. Scott – “The Power of Scripture”
    24. Come Ye Children of the Lord

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 14, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

34. #16 – So obvious I overlooked it! Elder Nelson’s “Covenants” Also Efimov is a big clue too.

Comment by Chocolate on my Cranium — October 14, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

35. well, then I should get credit for one of my original entries (in excess of the limits of the initial rules) #16 Elder Nelson on Covenants, Sunday afternoon session. I knew that because I wasn’t taking notes at the time and he kept repeating the word “covenant” lest I would lose the theme. (well, he probably didn’t do it just for me).

Comment by Grant — October 14, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

36. Yes, yes, yes! to both 34 and 35 — with full points to Grant for the earlier solution (although you’ll have to exchange those points for tokens, and then credits, before they will be of any use to you …)

That just leaves #17 unsolved. Hint: Who would you expect to be in the list of speakers whose talks I wordled, whose name doesn’t year appear in the solution list?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 14, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

37. #17 is President Monson in priesthood session. Your hint helped me consider him, but the big giveaways are the large words “stand” and “alone.”

Comment by Julie — October 14, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

38. And, if allowed to finish it off, #17 is President Monson, “Dare to Stand Alone” in Priesthood Session. The words “bus” and “navy” tipped me off from two good stories. But aren’t the words “Dallas” and “San Diego” missing?

Well, my lunch break is at an end.

Comment by Grant — October 14, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

39. And we have a whole — (what’s the collective term? surely not a herd? not a gaggle? how about a scholarship? yeah, I like that) — We have a whole scholarship of winning Keepa’ninnies! Thanks for playing.

1. Barbara Thompson – “Cleave unto the Covenants”
    2. Jeffrey R. Holland – “We Are All Enlisted”
    3. Quentin L. Cook – “The Songs They Could Not Sing”
    4. D. Todd Christofferson – “The Divine Gift of Repentance”
    5. We Ever Pray for Thee
    6. Dieter F. Uchtdorft – “You Matter to Him”
    7. Elaine S. Dalton – “Love Her Mother”
    8. Henry B. Eyring – “A Witness”
    9. Praise to the Man
    10. Kazuhiko Yamashita – “Missionaries Are a Treasure of the Church”
    11. L. Tom Perry – “Perfect Love Casteth Out Fear”
    12. M. Russell Ballard – “The Importance of a Name”
    13. Matthew O. Richardson – “Teaching after the Manner of the Spirit”
    14. Robert D. Hales – “Waiting Upon the Lord”
    15. Neil L. Anderson – “Children”
    16. Russell M. Nelson – “Covenants”
    17. Thomas S. Monson – “Dare to Stand Alone”
    18. Consider the Lilies
    19. Dallin H. Oaks – “Teachings of Jesus”
    20. David A. Bednar – “The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn”
    21. Carl B. Cook – “It Is Better to Look Up”
    22. Boyd K. Packer – “Counsel to Youth”
    23. Richard G. Scott – “The Power of Scripture”
    24. Come Ye Children of the Lord

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 14, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

40. Thanks for the challenge, Ardis.

Comment by Paul — October 15, 2011 @ 9:36 am