Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1916

Latter-day Saint Images, 1916

By: Ardis E. Parshall - October 06, 2011

Here’s what’s on the page for 1916 in the Mormon family photo album —

YLMIA, Spokane, Washington . . .

Timpanogos Ward, Utah, MIA Officers

San Diego, California Chapel Dedication
(Joseph F. and Julina Smith in attendance)

Norwich, England, Choir

Elders of the Mississippi Conference
Millville L.D.S. meeting house in rear

(standing, left to right:) K.S. Griffiths, F.L. Bolton, Ivy Jane Erickson, A.L. Larson, Arnel Milner, J.L. Walker, D.R. LeBaron, C.E. Campbell, R.E. Tullis, Ernest Whiting and Joseph Erickson. (sitting:) William A. Jones, H.M. Neely, R.S. Hughes, H.W. Nalder, Charles A. Callis, Grace E. Callis, Henry M. Jones, W. Bruce Haws, Conrad E. Chatelain

Denver, Colorado Relief Society

Pike Schoolhouse, Elk County, Pennsylvania
(mostly non-members attending meeting)

Richfield, Utah 1st Ward

Lady Missionaries of Oakland, California
Florence Foremaster, Irene Winward

Awarua, New Zealand
Day school conducted by the elders

St. Louis, Missouri, Dedication of 26 November
(James E. Talmage in picture)

Tri-City Branch, Davenport, Iowa

Salt Lake City 9th Ward, MIA Boys Band

Manassa, Colorado

26th Ward, Salt Lake City

Elders of the Florida Conference: W.A. Pincock and C.E. Bond

Greenville, South Carolina Chapel Dedication
James E. Talmage and Charles A. Callis in attendance

Lady Missionaries of the Eastern States Mission: Edna Crowther, Iris Hawkes

Yakima, Washington, Sunday School
Taken on the riverbank after a baptismal service

1. I wish that more of R.S. Hughes’s name had made it onto that photo caption, but the initials suggest that it may have been Rawlins S. Hughes, my grandfather’s cousin. It’s about time one of my relatives made it into one of these pictures!

Comment by Mark B. — October 6, 2011 @ 7:02 am

2. Great! (and if those old editors only knew how much trouble they caused by recording only initials …)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 6, 2011 @ 7:32 am

3. Was that Jack Dempsey in the Manassa, Colorado picture? :-)

Comment by Steve C. — October 6, 2011 @ 7:41 am

4. Yeah, he’s the third one from the left, next to that one guy …

Actually, he’d left home about five years earlier and had already begun his boxing career by then — but there’s a good chance that some of his relatives are in the picture.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 6, 2011 @ 7:59 am

5. In the San Diego Ward photo, I’m almost certain that’s my third-great-grandmother Sarah Ann Cripps Hayward in the top right with the decorative hat. She would have been 86 at the time. I was not sure if she was active in the church after she moved to California, but that sure does look like her!

Comment by Researcher — October 6, 2011 @ 8:06 am

6. We’re on a roll with this page! Who else spots a relative?

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 6, 2011 @ 9:45 am

7. No relatives here, but the backdrop of the photo with the Salt Lake City 9th Ward MIA Boys Band looks a lot like the Church Administration Building. No?

Comment by David Y. — October 6, 2011 @ 11:07 am

8. Could very well be, David. Maybe they were serenading the brethren!

(“Okay, okay, we’ll give you a basketball court in every chapel. Just please stop playing those trumpets under our windows!!”)

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 6, 2011 @ 11:14 am

9. I wish people still played instruments – I dont think I could put together a Stake band, much less one of just the YM.

Curse you television, video games! ;)

Comment by Frank Pellett — October 6, 2011 @ 11:59 am

10. I was about to ask if you could send me a copy of the Manassa Colorado photo, but a quick check of my files shows I already have it. No names on my copy either (sigh).

Comment by Bruce Crow — October 6, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

11. Would you like a copy of the names of the people in the Manassa photo, Bruce, or Ardis? I’d be happy to send the key, and also to a similar photo from 1890. No Dempseys in either picture, though.

Comment by Researcher — October 6, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

12. I would, very much.

Comment by Bruce Crow — October 6, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

13. Is there a possibility that Spencer W. Kimball may be in the picture of the dedication of the St. Louis Mission home??

He served in the Central States mission around this time. I’ll have to look at his biography to check on dates.

Comment by John Willis — October 6, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

14. Me, too, Researcher. I’d add them to this post.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 6, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

15. Okay. I’ll type or scan that and send.

Comment by Researcher — October 6, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

16. My wife’s great-great grandmother is in the picture of the San Diego chapel dedication, and her great-great grandfather too.

Comment by kevinf — October 6, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

17. Bumper crop of Keepa Kin today — I love it!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — October 6, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

18. Millville is in my stake!

Comment by HokieKate — October 6, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

19. The “Millville LDS meeting house” is now the meeting place of the Raytown Brach, Jackson MS Stake. If you look up the Google Satellite View for 701 Mississippi 17, Canton, Mississippi, you can find the meeting house and then zoom in with street view. I haven’t been to that part of the stake, but the street view shows it looking to be in good condition.

Comment by HokieKate — October 6, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

20. I wonder where that Timpanogos ward is. I was in the Timpanogos ward in Provo, then again in Pleasant Grove.

Comment by Carol — October 6, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

21. A lot of love for the baritone, it would appear, in the MIA.

Comment by J. Stapley — October 6, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

22. I bet my mother, grandparents and many, many of my relatives are in the Richfield 1st Ward picture. I wish there was away to get a clear photograph of that group. My cousin Brad Ogden has the same interest.

Comment by Jeff Johnson — October 6, 2011 @ 11:02 pm