Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Night Nurse

Night Nurse

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 27, 2011

Night Nurse

By Genevie Goff

I know that God must walk these halls at night with me
And lay a calming hand upon my head.
I often see the glory of his compassionate face
And sometimes hear the firmness of his tread.

For when I encounter alone at night
A human soul stripped bare by fear or pain,
I know the words to speak to comfort him
And realize my prayer for guidance not in vain.

Or when I watch the warfare waged with life and death
I know that God is near, a force to feel and touch,
For I would surely be too small, and without strength,
To witness and to bear alone so much.

(1943)

1. Very touching.

Comment by Alison — September 27, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

2. Wow. Thanks for sharing that.

My mother was an Army nurse during that era; she joined because that is where, “all the booze, cigarettes, and men were.”

It is not well known that in his 1945 State of the Union address, President Roosevelt called for the drafting of nurses, because the military couldn’t get enough volunteers. Legislation passed the House by an overwhelming margin, but was abandoned after VE day.

Comment by Naismith — September 27, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

3. Thanks for putting these poems on Keepa. You always seem to find just the right one for the right time.

Comment by Maurine Ward — September 27, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

4. Thanks for letting me know you enjoy this (or these). I realize they won’t all be to everybody’s taste any more than anything else is. We have a great tradition of poetry in our heritage, no matter how little is written or published now.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 27, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

5. This poem I love. It speaks the very words I’ve heard my sister express through her years of nursing on a night shift. May I post a copy of the poem on my blog and link to yours here?

I too am very fond of the poems you post here from earlier times.

Comment by Bessie — September 28, 2011 @ 11:22 am

6. Bessie, I’d appreciate the link if you want to add it, but I’ll email you the original publication citation, too.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — September 28, 2011 @ 11:23 am