Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » One More Evidence of the Wonderfulness of Sugar

One More Evidence of the Wonderfulness of Sugar

By: Ardis E. Parshall - September 02, 2011

From the Improvement Era, 1940 –

1. I will now feel patriotic when I dump the extra spoonful on my cheerios

Comment by iguacufalls — September 2, 2011 @ 11:09 am

2. I pledge allegiance to the United States of Sugar and to the sweet things for which it stands, one nation under pure, fine-granulated, quick-dissolving sugar, indivisible, with liberty and sugar for all!

I know that sugar is true. I can’t live without sugar.

Comment by Paul Reeve — September 2, 2011 @ 11:15 am

3. “You can’t live without sugar”. So very, very true!

Comment by HokieKate — September 2, 2011 @ 11:16 am

4. Please read my comment above while listening to MoTab hum God Bless America in soft tones in the background.

One must take advantage of the opportunity to mingle one’s patriotism with one’s Mormonism and one’s sugarism.

Comment by Paul Reeve — September 2, 2011 @ 11:22 am

5. And yet, how important was the production of sugar beets in the local mormon communities along the wasatch front for many years!

Comment by Cliff — September 2, 2011 @ 11:57 am

6. Uhm, a slightly-veiled advertisement for U&I Sugar? I seem to recall there were commercial ads in the Improvement Era when I was a kid in the 60s.

Comment by Grant — September 2, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

7. I spent a few summers thinning sugar beets on my Uncle’s farm in Idaho, so even though this ad plays on the patriotic angle of home production of sugar, I have a different view. Behind every scoop of sugar on your Cheerios (at least before high-fructose corn syrup) was some teenager with blistered hands, sunburned neck, and a crick in their back from having to bend over and hack at those ungrateful beets that grew too close together.

Comment by kevinf — September 2, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

8. This is great. Thanks.

The whole thing — its tone, its length — reminds me of the sermonettes on “Music and the Spoken Word.” I mean, I can just hear Richard L. Evans intoning that last line, “In war, in peace” . . .

Comment by David Y. — September 3, 2011 @ 9:27 am

9. See, there’s a reason ice cream is so popular in Utah. It’s the true Celestial AND patriotic food.

As for me and my house, we choose to serve God and Country by not limiting our consumption of ice cream.

Comment by Ray — September 3, 2011 @ 12:33 pm