Keepapitchinin, the Mormon History blog » Latter-day Saint Images, 1949

Latter-day Saint Images, 1949

By: Ardis E. Parshall - August 25, 2011

Latter-day Saints in the post-war world —

East London Branch,
South African Mission
The Primary children made these nets for catching butterflies

First Three Primary Graduates of
Nambour Branch, Australia

Relief Society Presidency
Aleppo, Palestine (Syrian Mission)

Trekkers, Alma Ward, Mesa Stake, Arizona

Visiting Relief Society Monument at Nauvoo

Denver, Colorado, 2nd Ward
Primary Festival

North Central States Mission
Primary Halloween Party

Bridgeport, Nebraska, Branch
All dresses worn are homemade

Leicester, England
Sunday School

Hyrum, Utah, Singing Mothers

British Mission Millennial Chorus

Visiting the Construction Site of
Primary Children’s Hospital

1. I never knew there was once a Syrian mission. Wow.

And apparently the “no-mask” rule was not yet in force for Primary Halloween parties…

Comment by Paul — August 25, 2011 @ 6:48 am

2. I love pictures!

Comment by HokieKate — August 25, 2011 @ 7:24 am

3. Paul, the Syrian Mission was the old Turkish Mission — it’d been called “Turkish” even though we had always had more success (our only real success) among the Armenians and other Christians in the region of what is now Syria/Jordan/Israel than in Turkey proper.

Hmmm, checking references, I see that formally the mission names were: Turkish (1884-1909); Armenian (1921-1928); Palestine-Syrian (1933-1939); Near East (1950-1951). Here’s a good, brief outline of church activity in the region, and a Keepa sketch of the life of Gohar Yegiayan Davidian and her family, Latter-day Saints of Aleppo.

Good, HokieKate!

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 25, 2011 @ 7:40 am

4. What surprised me was the branch in Bridgeport, Nebraska!

Comment by Coffinberry — August 25, 2011 @ 8:48 am

5. So many of these pictures depict activities that I can’t imagine the Church ever taking time for. MIA plays? Kite festivals? Singing mothers?

Comment by The Other Clark — August 25, 2011 @ 8:57 am

6. In my youth (not so very long ago — late 60’s / early 70’s), we had MIA plays, and my mother sang with our stake’s Singing Mothers. (And that photo of the Bankstown Bazaar reminded me of the RS Bazaars of my early days.) But you’re right: not so many of these things any more.

Comment by Paul — August 25, 2011 @ 9:01 am

7. Also, it’s fun to see the costume choices of kids mid-century. I see a few Lone Rangers, pirates, a wolfman, and a few that seem to be inspired by the Wizard of Oz. In any case, they all look homemade. I bet there was no trunk-or-treat in the parking lot after the activity, though :-)

Comment by The Other Clark — August 25, 2011 @ 9:01 am

8. Bandlos and Relief Society Bazaars. *sigh*

Comment by Mina — August 25, 2011 @ 9:35 am

9. I had to look close to see if my father was in the “Temple View Stake, Salt Lake City, Guide Class” photo. But after not finding him I notice the date and I think he was too old for that class in 1949. None of the boys look over 12. What age range did it cover?

Comment by Bruce Crow — August 25, 2011 @ 11:22 am

10. That was the oldest boys’ Primary class, Bruce — 11-year-olds turning 12 during the year.

Comment by Ardis E. Parshall — August 25, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

11. re: taking time for more church activities.

In those times, especially in areas of high LDS concentration, I think members’ social lives revolved more around church and fellow church members. And, most wives did not work outside of the home, and there was no TV in 1949, was there?

If members in less LDS-dense areas (the “mission field”) were expected to implement all the church social programs that were invented or promulgated from Utah, I can see how LDS got a reputation for being “insular” among non-members.

I’m surprised that the block schedule of meetings (everything in 3 hours on sunday) was so late in arriving. Making 2 trips to church on Sunday, and at least 2 trips to church during the week, is okay if your chapel is only a few blocks away.

The density of Mormons in Utah makes/made it easier for all those church-centered social program. But in the “mission field”, especially with modern life pulling us in more directions, I can see how those things faded away.

Comment by Bookslinger — August 25, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

12. Bookslinger – We lived in Waterbury, Conn 1968-1970 with our 5 children. There was only one other LDS family in our city. Church was almost a 30 minute drive and we did go to Sunday School in the morning and Sacrament meeting in the evening on Sunday. Primary was during the week after school and Relief Society was in the morning once a week. Yes, I was a stay-at-home Mom. I appreciated the opportunity for our children as well as me to get together with other members that often, as it rarely happened otherwise. Our friends in the neighborhood were almost all Catholic and Jewish – nice people and good friends, but it’s not the same. Maxine C

Comment by Maxine Crow — August 25, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

13. What a crowd of guides! More than thirty, and our aging (and aged) ward has two deacons and only one coming up soon.

Comment by CurtA — August 25, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

14. I was in plays put on by the MIA. After I married I sang with the Singing Mothers and loved making things for the annual RS Bazaar. I also danced in all-church dance festivals, taught music to choruses and quartets for the music festivals, and cheered our boyfriends on when they played in all-church basketball. These are things my children have missed out on.

Comment by Maurine Ward — August 25, 2011 @ 11:39 pm